Need New Laptop---any Suggestions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello :wave:

I've Had A Mac G4 Cube For About 6 Yrs Now & Really Want A Laptop But I'm Confused & Could Use

Any Good Advice. I Will Mainly Be Using This To Surf , Emails & Put Lots Of Pictures & Video's Of New

Baby In Family Onto Hardrive. I Was Thinking Of The 17" Screen With The Option Of The "display"

Screen At A Later Date (can I Still Use The Studio Screen I Have Now-----will Laptop Work On This?);

But My Real Confusion Is How Much Hardrive & Ghz Do I Need????? I Plan On Keeping This For @ Least

5yrs & Take A Lot Of Pic's Which I Download Weekly--------should I Max Out Ghz & Hardrive When

I Purchase Which Is Quite Expensive, Or Is The Standard Configuration & X-tra Memory Enough?

Any Advice Would Be Very Appreciated!!! Happy New Year To All!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    if you're not doing any video editing, music production, or gaming then a Macbook will do fine (except for the storage - HD space that is). Most likely the base Macbook will be enough for what you're doing but I highly recommend getting 2GB of memory (ram). Maybe consider the 2.2GHz, 2GB memory, 160GB HD - that would be a great setup. I say 160GB because you'll be storing videos - you could also consider getting a smaller HD (~120GB) and then purchasing a cheap external HD later on if you need more space. The more you pay for the more you'll get, but remember that memory is more important than the processor.

Please also take into consideration that people are expecting an ultra portable Macbook at MWSF (Macworld San Francisco which occurs in mid January). It is not confirmed or anything, but very likely - the whole Macbook line could be updated and could cost less money - people are also expecting a new aluminum enclosure for the Macbooks to unify the lineup. Unless you need one immediately I would suggest waiting another two and a half weeks.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

if you're not doing any video editing, music production, or gaming then a Macbook will do fine (except for the storage - HD space that is). Most likely the base Macbook will be enough for what you're doing but I highly recommend getting 2GB of memory (ram). Maybe consider the 2.2GHz, 2GB memory, 160GB HD - that would be a great setup. I say 160GB because you'll be storing videos - you could also consider getting a smaller HD (~120GB) and then purchasing a cheap external HD later on if you need more space. The more you pay for the more you'll get, but remember that memory is more important than the processor.

Please also take into consideration that people are expecting an ultra portable Macbook at MWSF (Macworld San Francisco which occurs in mid January). It is not confirmed or anything, but very likely - the whole Macbook line could be updated and could cost less money - people are also expecting a new aluminum enclosure for the Macbooks to unify the lineup. Unless you need one immediately I would suggest waiting another two and a half weeks.

TY FOR ALL THE INFO BUDDHA----THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED HELP WITH!! I'LL TAKE YOU UP ON YOUR ADVICE & WAIT A FEW WEEKS TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS PRICE WISE-----PLZ KEEP ME POSTED IF YOU HEAR OF ANY NEW DETAILS...........HAVE A GOOD NIGHT!!!