Need help with a few things a unsure about!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey,

Well i got an apple imac 20'' for my xmas, its great :d. I have been using Windows for over 10 years and now converted to the mac

I have some questions which i would like to ask.

1. How do i uninstall an app?

2. On my doc the icon for ichat has the small blue circle below it ( which i think indicated that it is currently open). When i click it it does not open, when i ctrl+click and chose quit from the menu list, it does not shut. I need to close down ichat because when i go to shut down the computer it tells me to first shut down ichat.

3. Amongst other things, my dad bought me Microsoft office 2004 teacher and student edition. I have heard a a few things about getting a free upgrade to office 2008. When i go onto the microsoft website to ask for the upgrade is asks me in which country i live, (united kingdom) but there are only canada and USA available?

4. Stacks. In the demonstration of leopard video on the apple website, the man in the video has a stack in his doc called downloads, and one called applications. How do i add these to my doc? i can't seem to be able to do it!!

5. AIM instant messeging, does anyone have news on when AIM will have video chat? or when mac messenger will support video chat?

Thanks and your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again, Peter Toye

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iwantamac! View Post

Hey,

Well i got an apple imac 20'' for my xmas, its great :d. I have been using Windows for over 10 years and now converted to the mac

I have some questions which i would like to ask.

1. How do i uninstall an app?

Just drag the icon from your Applications Folder into the Trash. Dragging the icon from your dock will just remove it from the dock, not delete the app.

Quote:

2. On my doc the icon for ichat has the small blue circle below it ( which i think indicated that it is currently open). When i click it it does not open, when i ctrl+click and chose quit from the menu list, it does not shut. I need to close down ichat because when i go to shut down the computer it tells me to first shut down ichat.

3. Amongst other things, my dad bought me Microsoft office 2004 teacher and student edition. I have heard a a few things about getting a free upgrade to office 2008. When i go onto the microsoft website to ask for the upgrade is asks me in which country i live, (united kingdom) but there are only canada and USA available?

4. Stacks. In the demonstration of leopard video on the apple website, the man in the video has a stack in his doc called downloads, and one called applications. How do i add these to my doc? i can't seem to be able to do it!!

They should be there already, on the far left (or bottom if the dock's on the side) between the 'Abbey Road' separator and the Trash.

Quote:

5. AIM instant messeging, does anyone have news on when AIM will have video chat? or when mac messenger will support video chat?

iChat works on AIM, including A/V. You don't need a .Mac account, just sign up with AIM and create an account in iChat. MSN on Macs is a POS IMHO, I am not aware of any client which runs MSN compatible A/V on Macs, although it is a promised feature for a future version of Adium.

Quote:

Thanks and your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again, Peter Toye

Hope that helps with at least some of your questions! And welcome to the world of Mac...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

Just drag the icon from your Applications Folder into the Trash. Dragging the icon from your dock will just remove it from the dock, not delete the app.

They should be there already, on the far left (or bottom if the dock's on the side) between the 'Abbey Road' separator and the Trash.

iChat works on AIM, including A/V. You don't need a .Mac account, just sign up with AIM and create an account in iChat. MSN on Macs is a POS IMHO, I am not aware of any client which runs MSN compatible A/V on Macs, although it is a promised feature for a future version of Adium.

Hope that helps with at least some of your questions! And welcome to the world of Mac...

thanks for the reply

thats good, i know know how to remove an app properly

as for the stacks already being there... nope nothiing. if i knew how to take a screen shot i would! all i have is all my apps in the doc, then the abby road devider thing and then the trash, along with any minimised apps i have.

All i need is a program that lets me use video chat and talk to people who use msn.

Still got the problem with the ichat not opening nor closing :S

thanks for the reply again

hope to be involved in all things mac

Peter Toye
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

thanks for the reply

thats good, i know know how to remove an app properly

as for the stacks already being there... nope nothiing. if i knew how to take a screen shot i would! all i have is all my apps in the doc, then the abby road devider thing and then the trash, along with any minimised apps i have.

To add the downloads etc to the dock:

step 1) open a finder window, select your home folder in the sidebar, drag the downloads folder from the finder (but not from the sidebar in the finder) into the place you want it in the dock

step 2) there is no step 2.

PS to take a screenshot, press command + shift + 3. command + shift + 4 lets you select a part of the screen to "shoot".
  • Reply 4 of 5
    #2.) If when you click quit on an app, yet it does not close, hit option, apple (command), escape at the same time to force quit.* This can also be done by clicking on the apple at the top left of the screen and choosing force quit from the menu. When in iChat, try going to iChat--> Preferences--> Accounts, and setting up an account (if you haven't already) and then hit the apple (command) 1,2, or 3 keys to show the contacts window(s) for each account.

* This can also be a fix-all for any frozen windows, disk images that won't eject, or file transfers/copies that freeze, just go to Force Quit and relaunch the finder.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    3) try this link for e-mailing Microsoft UK:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...7&gprid=526132