Safari Issue - no longer adds ".com" automatically

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello,

I just recieved Leopard for Christmas and I love it.

However, one issue annoys me to no end:

In Tiger, if I wanted to go to a web address that ends in ".com" all I had to do was type the domain name. No typing "www" at the beginning or ".com" at the end. This was enabled by default.

After performing a clean (erase and install) install of Leopard, it appears that feature is gone. I cannot find it in Preferences.

Can someone help me how to reinstate this useful and time-saving feature?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    Strange... I also have Safari 3.0.4 and it does add .com automatically.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    That is really odd. Safari has never required this to be typed in any version.

Try going to your user Library>Preferences>safariplist

Drag the plist to your desktop and quit then restart Safari. See what happens. You can always put the plist on your desktop back in if it doesn't work.

If that doesn't work you can always click Safari in the menubar and then click Reset Safari. I think this option wipes out your passwords at websites you visit (like Appleinsider and you will have to add them when you visit the site again.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

That is really odd. Safari has never required this to be typed in any version.

Try going to your user Library>Preferences>safariplist

Drag the plist to your desktop and quit then restart Safari. See what happens. You can always put the plist on your desktop back in if it doesn't work.

If that doesn't work you can always click Safari in the menubar and then click Reset Safari. I think this option wipes out your passwords at websites you visit (like Appleinsider and you will have to add them when you visit the site again.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I tried it, but unfortunatley it did not work.

Safari still does not add the ".com" automatically like it used to.

I have reset many times, cleared NVRAM and PRAM and moved the plist and restarted.

Most confusing.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Thank you for the suggestion.

I tried it, but unfortunatley it did not work.

Safari still does not add the ".com" automatically like it used to.

I have reset many times, cleared NVRAM and PRAM and moved the plist and restarted.

Most confusing.

If you type in: "www.aol" it doens't add the .com

But if you type in just "aol" it adds the .com

Could this possibly be the issue?
  • Reply 5 of 86
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

In Tiger, if I wanted to go to a web address that ends in ".com" all I had to do was type the domain name. ...

Are you sure that this "feature" is missing? I believe that you are mistaking a very useful Safari feature for a really bad idea that Apple did not implement. The useful feature is that Safari uses its database of previously visited sites to auto-complete partial entries. To use icfireball's example, Safari will complete "www.aol.com" when you type "www.aol" if you previously visited AOL's website.

Notice that you lost the "feature" when you upgraded to Leopard. I'm betting dollars to donuts that you did a Clean Install or Archive & Install of Leopard which destroyed your previous Safari history. If this is the case, then your "missing" feature will return for each website that you visit in the future.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    This should work.

Do you have any hacks installed like any APE utilities or saft or PithHelmet, etc?

Try logging in from another user.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    Mr. Me is right.

I had never gone to AOL since Leopard. When I typed aol, I didn't get a .com after it.

Hit return and it went to the site anyway, like always.

Then the next time I typed aol, I did get the .com. Try it with something like ibm or some other site you haven't gone to.

9 secondko, you never did indicate if hitting return would take you to the site. You just noticed the .com didn't come up and felt the need to type it. Don't fear the return key.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

If you type in: "www.aol" it doens't add the .com

But if you type in just "aol" it adds the .com

Could this possibly be the issue?

no, that is not the issue. Tahnks, though.

The thing that is so great about Safari was that you never had to type unnecessary stuff like the "www" or ".com"

Now, the ".com" just does not appear automatically anymore.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

This should work.

Do you have any hacks installed like any APE utilities or saft or PithHelmet, etc?

Try logging in from another user.

No other programs no plugins, nothing.

Tried as other user.

What is up with this?
  • Reply 10 of 86
    Quote:

Mr. Me is right.

I had never gone to AOL since Leopard. When I typed aol, I didn't get a .com after it.

Hit return and it went to the site anyway, like always.

Then the next time I typed aol, I did get the .com. Try it with something like ibm or some other site you haven't gone to.

9 secondko, you never did indicate if hitting return would take you to the site. You just noticed the .com didn't come up and felt the need to type it. Don't fear the return key.

Hitting return give me an error page that the site cannot be found.

I never get tot he domain.

This used to work until I installed Leopard fresh.
  • Reply 11 of 86
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

This used to work until I installed Leopard fresh.

You aren't paying attention. Reread the earlier posts in this thread.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You aren't paying attention. Reread the earlier posts in this thread.

no

look, I know what I am talking about

I clean instAlled tiger a few times and safari always added the .com suffix by itself.

this I'd not dependent on the history.

trust me.

something is wrong and this is a clean instAll

I appreciate the replys but I'd sounds like no one is listening.

Safari is supposed to do what I am saying without the site being in history
  • Reply 13 of 86
    Well good luck then.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    Quote:

Well good luck then.

thanks for trying.

i don't understand why the face icon is in your post.

i read every thread and even responded to most.

my problem is most perplexing and it seems that no one understands it, but rather guess at what the problem is.

safari used to work a certain way and now it does not. even after i reset safari or reinstalled tiger, it would ALWAYS add .com to the domain i typed in, regarless of browsing history.

i would like to resolve this issue without having to reinstall the os since this is a clean install.

now, in this leopard version it does not. surely there must be an answer somewhere.

just because your answers were not correct is no reason to get offended. I really appreciate the help.

thanks again.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member

Nice pickup. I was getting the impression this might have more to do with the ISP than the Mac.
  • Reply 17 of 86

Earthlink is not my ISP.

I can see where that could be an issue, but Safari was working fine with my ISP just an hour before I installed Leopard.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be an ISP issue.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    The face wasn't mean spirited. If you read your last post as someone else, you might understand...

Do you live by an Apple Store? If so, set up an appointment with a Genius and let them look at it. Then someone can actually see visually what you are up against.

I really do wish you luck and Happy New Year.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Quote:

The face wasn't mean spirited. If you read your last post as someone else, you might understand...

Do you live by an Apple Store? If so, set up an appointment with a Genius and let them look at it. Then someone can actually see visually what you are up against.

I really do wish you luck and Happy New Year.

Usually The "rolleyes" icon is to say "whatever.." to someone. that is why I commented on it. You say that it was not intended and I will take you at your word. Thanks for clearing that up. I enjoy this forum and do appreciate the time people like you have taken to comment and try to help.

As for the post you replied to, I have reread it and I am fine with it. Basically, it sounds like someone who is tired of people guessing that it is probably a silly operator error or misunderstanding of how Safari works.

I support PCs and Macs on a network for a living. I know how it is supposed to work. I almost never have to support the Macs (although there are much fewer of them and they are only from the exec users) This one has me totally bewildered. I have scoured the internet and only found a couple of other issues like this.

There HAS to be some explanation. I have installed Windows too many times to count and out of every 500, there will be one where Windows did not install properly and a need for an OS repair or complete reinstall is necessary. Never had an issue with a Mac. If it continues to feel like a pain I may be forced to install the OS from scratch again. I don't want to as it took the better part of a day just to install Leopard, my other apps and configure email.

Thanks for the warm wishes. I hope you have a great 2008 as well!
  • Reply 20 of 86
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    A year or so ago, this same thing also happened to me, but it was my ISP that changed (not earthlink though). I take the same laptop to different places (using safari) and although it doesn't work from my home, it works from other places. (I started a thread about it here - check it out and see if it helps.)

Have you tried this with another computer from your home? I know you said this happened after a new OS install, but I don't think this is really a feature of safari, it's something that happens when safari sends the url out to the ISP. If you can get this functionality back with a different computer, it would lend support to the idea that it has something to do with your OS install rather than the more common-sense explanation that your ISP changed.

Here's a guess: When you installed your new OS, the domain name server entries in System Preferences -> Network -> DNS servers changed. This could change the way your Mac interacts with your ISP, and could account for the autocomplete being off. The fact that you did a clean install is consistent with that idea.