OSX on the PS3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was reading these other forums, and this guy was talking about how he said his cousin was a programmer or something, and how he worked for Apple and that OSX was going to be sold to run on the PS3. Possibly announced this January. Obviously I'm going to be a bit skeptical, but in some ways it makes sense. And in some it doesn't. But a while back, an article was posted here at AI about how it was possible and might happen.

I think it would be amazing.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    If it can run on a iPhone, it certainly can run on a PS3. I would guess that the potential OSX implementation for PS3 only utilizes the main processing unit of the Cell.

But, for a market perspective, I just don't see the value proposition for Apple. Maybe there's something cooking, but as of now, it just doesn't make good business sense.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    if 75% plus of the free and shareware apps run at "lightening speed" on the PS3 then I'd be all for it but I really doubt it will happen. I have a friend of a friend of someone who used the internet this one time.. etc.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

if 75% plus of the free and shareware apps run at "lightening speed" on the PS3 then I'd be all for it but I really doubt it will happen. I have a friend of a friend of someone who used the internet this one time.. etc.

The PS3 is a dog-slow single CPU PPC machine - with six lighting-fast math processors.

If it ran OSX, it would be slower than a Mac Mini.

It isn't going to happen. Sony have enough on their plate trying to get games to run on this turkey. Never mind an OS.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I agree: Not gonna happen. It would be a lot of work for Apple, and they want you to buy a Mini or AppleTV instead of a PS3.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    An Apple/Sony alliance would be interesting. iTunes on a PS3 would be neat.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

An Apple/Sony alliance would be interesting. iTunes on a PS3 would be neat.

Dave

I'd much prefer a Nintendo Wii, but oh well. I do suppose it is slightly difficult with no HD in the Wii...
  • Reply 7 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

I'd much prefer a Nintendo Wii, but oh well. I do suppose it is slightly difficult with no HD in the Wii...

If they had a choice, Apple would be much smarter to work with Sony rather than Nintendo.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    Quote:

If they had a choice, Apple would be much smarter to work with Sony rather than Nintendo.

I think Nintendo and Apple have much more to gain by working together.

Also, Sony simply competes with apple on too many fronts: media players, media centers, laptops...
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

I think Nintendo and Apple have much more to gain by working together.

Also, Sony simply competes with apple on too many fronts: media players, media centers, laptops...

Wishful thinking. Apple and Nintendo are too similar to one another. There is nothing either can use from one another (you won't see Nintendo games on Macs nor will you see Mac OS X - Wii Edition anytime soon).

Sony and Apple could mutually collaborate in a number of ways.

Mac OS X PS3 Edition could be possible since the PS3 has the internals of a computer.

Apple has years of PowerPC architecture experience.

Apple needs Sony Music and Movie studio support for iTunes while Sony needs iTunes revenue.

Safari web browser and iTunes for PS3 (especially for Sony to complete directly against MS XBOX 360).

Sony's Blu-Ray and Apple's Pro Applications could have mutual benefits.

The list goes on.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 73
    Quote:

Wishful thinking. Apple and Nintendo are too similar to one another. There is nothing either can use from one another (you won't see Nintendo games on Macs nor will you see Mac OS X - Wii Edition anytime soon).

Mac OS X PS3 Edition could be possible since the PS3 has the internals of a computer.

Apple has years of PowerPC architecture experience.

Apple needs Sony Music and Movie studio support for iTunes while Sony needs iTunes revenue.

Safari web browser and iTunes for PS3 (especially for Sony to complete directly against MS XBOX 360).

Sony's Blu-Ray and Apple's Pro Applications could have mutual benefits.

The list goes on.

Dave

Sony is too stupid, and Apple is too stubborn for that to ever happen - for multimedia, the PS3 is a better machine than the Apple TV, but for about the same price as the PS3, you could have a Mini (minus BR). And neither platform has any games worth taking about, except a few ports.

Sony and Apple compete on too many levels IMO.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Quote:

Dave

If Sony's game division cannot even collaborate with Sony's film division, they don't have much chance working with an external company do they?

C.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    I too see benefits for Apple to work with Sony.

PS games running on Mac OS X would be huge. Since consoles lose so much money, this would not hurt Sony at all. It would boost game sales of which Sony gets a cut. Also Apple would then have to have Blue Ray and this would also help Sony. There use to be a PS game emulator for Mac, so I would think this would be possible. I would think PS1 and PS2 games could run for sure pretty quickly, not sure about PS3.

This is a much better game solution for Apple then supporting anything dealing with MS, like games through Boot Camp, though that works too. While Apple and Sony do compete on some things, they do face a common enemy in MS. It's the old the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Putting Front Row, iTunes, Mail, and Safari on PS2 and PS3 would allow Apple to get into the console business without risking anything. They solidify their download store and get a network appliance. Apple would make their money selling their OS and software, yet would control the hardware it runs on. I even wonder about putting the full OS X on PS3. If Apple could put it on the iPhone, why not the PS3?

Then, if Apple added an iSight to work with the PS3, they could get iChatAV running in the living rooms and boost their iChatAV impact. Adding it to the iPhone too would make videophone calls everywhere. This would be a killer technology/app for Apple to own. This would give people a big reason to get a PS3 over the Xbox360, a Mac over a PC, and an iPhone over other smartphones.

Now I don't know if this will happen but it would work to the benefit of Apple, Sony, and the consumer. I could then see Apple work to rollout more consumer electronics like tvs with iSight camera, and master remotes, and 5.1 surround systems. The iPod Touch would make a great remote control. All Apple needs to do is add the software, the hardware is already done.

Eventually I could see Apple make their own game console if they wanted and cut Sony out of the picture. So Apple can partner and then extend - right out of Microsoft's playbook.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by visionary View Post

I too see benefits for Apple to work with Sony.

PS games running on Mac OS X would be huge. Since consoles lose so much money, this would not hurt Sony at all. It would boost game sales of which Sony gets a cut. Also Apple would then have to have Blue Ray and this would also help Sony. There used to be a PS game emulator for Mac, so I would think this would be possible. I would think PS1 and PS2 games could run for sure pretty quickly, not sure about PS3.

As you said, there used to be a good PS emulator for the mac. Sony tried to sue Connectix several times, unsuccessfully, before just forking a pile of money at them under the condition to cease and desist. Clearly, Sony doesn't see it fit to sell PS games without stipulating that a Sony console runs them.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    What a beautiful marriage..

Apple sailing majestically on a sea of innovation and profitability. And like every great ship it needs an anchor.. A vast chunk of iron which will relentlessly plumet to the darkest depths. Sony could BE that anchor!

Sony is on a trip into the abyss, they need to go there alone.

Apple should wait until they start selling-off bits of Sony, but should avoid the game division.

C.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

What a beautiful marriage..

Apple sailing majestically on a sea of innovation and profitability. And like every great ship it needs an anchor.. A vast chunk of iron which will relentlessly plumet to the darkest depths. Sony could BE that anchor!

Sony is on a trip into the abyss, they need to go there alone.

Apple should wait until they start selling-off bits of Sony, but should avoid the game division.

C.

What? Depending on how you want to look at it the anchor is the Mac or the iPod. A PS3 booting OS X would in no way be an "anchor" for Apple
  • Reply 16 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

What? Depending on how you want to look at it the anchor is the Mac or the iPod. A PS3 booting OS X would in no way be an "anchor" for Apple

Not the product as much as the company behind it, Sony.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    I agree about Sony as a company not being with it like they use to be. However, putting OS X on the Playstation would not be an anchor for Apple. If Sony goes down, then Apple has a good excuse and transition to jump into the console market. An alliance would help them now and in the future.

The fact is that Apple is basically sitting on the side lines with gaming. This is their one area of weakness. Xbox live is a competitor to iTunes, and the media center concept is a valid and needed one. Not saying MS does their media Center well but all Apple has in comparison is AppleTV - not all that good in comparison.

I expect Apple to update AppleTV soon and we will see how Apple plans to face this threat. They have some big decisions to make. Do they include a DVD player? Blu-Ray? Tivo like functionality? What about gaming? Do they include iChatAV? What about an actual TV with iSight? After all how can you call it AppleTV without the actual TV?

Just as Apple has jumped into the music business and the cell phone business, they need to jump with both feet into the living room entertainment center business. Sony has dropped the ball and it is high time for Apple to pick it up.

I like a diversified Apple. It is good for the health of the company. Computers are being integrated into all areas of life and I definitely think Apple needs to be there. We need our systems of systems of systems to integrate well and obviously MS cannot do this.

I think it funny that Sony and MS have been beating each other up over game consoles and Apple could step into the fight so late into the game and steal the bacon. Sony and MS have spent billions but that really doesn't benefit them much.

The Pippen is proof that Apple wanted and even needed to be in that fight, but they had to sit out for financial reasons. Good thing they pulled the plug earlier rather than later. But the idea was and still is sound. Game consoles could make great NCs - networked computers. NCs that can impact personal computer sales big time.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    The console "market" isn't that much of a market. It was once ... "back in the day".

Only Nintendo are currently making money, and good for them.

MS are breaking even on the 360 sales - and make some money from games. The trouble is, that every really big game on the 360, every single one, is a first-party title. Which mean Microsoft is paying for its development and marketing. Which means it's hard to work out whether they make money. Hardly any third-party games sell in sufficient volume to be profitable for the developers and publishers. No third party developer could afford to make Halo - just as no airline could afford to run the Space Shuttle. It ain't viable.

For Sony and the PS3 it's worse. Each console sold costs Sony about $200. That's lost cash.

If the user sits there and just buys Blu-Ray movies, they never get that back. (Unless the sucker buys about 50 films)

Unless every PS3 owner buys about 10 games really fast, that money is gone. Sony need lots of good games. And the quality of games development of the PS3 is drying-up fast because Sony is burning through good-will even faster than it is burning though cash. Cost of games development on the PS3 is higher because development takes longer.

Once again, all the hit titles are first-party; bankrolled by Sony as loss-leaders.

Nintendo makes money on consoles, on add-ons (especially the two part controllers!) and on the games. Yes, the hardware is retarded, but it is massively more profitable. Which makes it more-Apple like than Sony's device.

Anyone can make a billion in games, all you need to start is two billion.

C.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

MS are breaking even on the 360 sales - and make some money from games.

No they're not.

Microsoft has lost over 4 billion dollars on the XBox and 360. The only game that has made money for them is Halo 3. Microsoft has publicly stated that they only expect to be generating a profit in 2008.

The Wii has already over taken the total userbase of the 360, the PS3 is starting to catch up and both of those consoles were released a year after Microsoft.

Plus the 360 is dying a slow death in Japan where even the PS2 is outselling it on monthly basis.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Carni: your logic is short-sighed. If Sony can use the PS3 as a lever to move Blu-ray, the benefits are vast. The CD has been going-on for almost thirty years, and to great benefit to Sony.