HDD space availibe on new Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all

Just in the market for a new macbook and trying to determine how much HDD is enough (will be running virtual machines via Paralelles)

How much hard drive is consumed by the default 10.5 and iLife 08 software load (lets assume that I want to keep iLife installed, that would be worst case scenario)

I highly doubt that 80GB is enough but now the one question is, will 120GB be enough?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    It may be that no notebook has enough space for you. Consider that you'll have to use an external for major storage and then don't worry about the internal.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

It may be that no notebook has enough space for you. Consider that you'll have to use an external for major storage and then don't worry about the internal.

I am just looking for a number here: when I boot a macbook out of the box, how many gigs are used?

I am confident that 120 GB will get me through fine for a couple of years, assuming that it is a ~20 gig software load, add in a 15 gig XP VM, a 20 gig iTunes library and that leaves plenty of space for other crap, but I just don't want to be shocked and see a like 60 gig load of software, and I have no idea what to expect....

In a year or so, as prices come down, I will upgrade to a 200+ gig 7200RPM drive...but I just want to make sure that 120 gigs will get me through
  • Reply 3 of 5
    umm... my macbook pro came w/ a 120 GB hdd, and i started around 90 GB, so an 80 GB wouldn't leave u w/ much more than 50 GB, i think.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I have a MBP with 150 gig HD. Space left is 85 gig. Apps loaded:

iLife 08

itunes library - 10 gigs

Parallels 1 VM with XP SP2, Office, some networking tools - 76mb for the app & 6.27 gig for the VM OS

Thats pretty much it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Thank you all very much, 120 gig will due just fine, heck, it will be great because I will have enough room left for all of my misc "junk"