Canon to intro dual SDHC flash camcorders at CES 08

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Excellent idea Canon

Quote:

Well looky here. Canon's got some gear for this CES, including the release of a number of new wholly solid state camcorders, dubbed "dual flash" in reference to internal flash memory and SDHC. Stay tuned for specs and release details on the Vixia HF10, F510, and F511.

This is excellent news. The movie to HD capture with no moving parts is phenomenal IMO. Currently SDHC cards are just over 100 dollars per 8GB (Costco pricing could be cheaper elsewhere) with 16GB options.

Keep in mind that a standard MiniDV tape holds about 13GB of data for an hours worth of video so imagine in a couple of years when a 16GB SDHC module is $70 and you have 32GB options the ability to capture 2.5 to 5 hours of HD footage should be commonplace.

No moving parts should mean lower heat and better reliability than today's HDD and Tape based camcorders. All Canon has to do here is deliver the same quality that we have with a HV20 mated to this flash backend and they have a winner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    wow, now this is good. Geez 8GB are only 100$ at USA? That is cheap as hell, they are about $230 in Canada.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

wow, now this is good. Geez 8GB are only 100$ at USA? That is cheap as hell, they are about $230 in Canada.

Yeah I expect pricing to continue to drop fast. I was actually wrong though on the flah..it appears that there's a non-removable flash and one SDHC slot.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Unfortunately, previous AVCHD camcorders had much worse image quality than HDV camcorders. Let's hope that can be fixed in 2008.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmf View Post

Unfortunately, previous AVCHD camcorders had much worse image quality than HDV camcorders. Let's hope that can be fixed in 2008.

Yes the AVCHD bitrate can go up to 24Mpbs but what they've delivered thus far is 13-15-17.

I'm looking forward to the reviews of. NAB is going to be hot this year. Tapeless is BIG.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes the AVCHD bitrate can go up to 24Mpbs but what they've delivered thus far is 13-15-17.

HDV is 25 Mbps and the goal of AVCHD was to provide similar quality at lower bandwidth. If someone creates a 24 Mbps AVCHD camcorder it will defeat the purpose; you might as well just record HDV onto flash. So to be successful AVCHD needs to stay in the 13-17 Mbps range and increase quality.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yeah I expect pricing to continue to drop fast. I was actually wrong though on the flah..it appears that there's a non-removable flash and one SDHC slot.

Flash is already much cheaper than $100/8GB. A little birdie (named BensBargains.com) told me that there's a 16GB SDHC card selling for $75 at newegg.com.

Panasonic has the HDC-SD5 flash-only camcorder out now and the slightly smaller HDC-SD9 was announced at CES. They did announce a 32GB SDHC card, but prices are certain to be ridiculous (>500USD) until Transcend and ADATA come out with equivalent products.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Be careful though. Bit rates on one compressed format do not necessarily equal bit rates on another compressed format. You cannot compare 25mb HDV to 25mb AVC.

Canon's HDV implementation, at least on the XLH1, is pretty amazing. I just shot a feature this summer. We only shot about 15% of the movie onto HDV tape (the majority was shot HD-SDI straight into an Octo-Core using ProRes 422 HQ) and the HDV footage intercuts seamlessly and beautifully with the ProRes footage.