Apple TV Unity "Confirmed" by MOSR

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just for interest, MOSR posted this blurb on the front page of their site.

Quote:

Rumors has confirmed that a new, larger AppleTV flagship model will be added to the lineup along with two enhanced versions of the existing AppleTV devices -- all sporting larger hard drives. The new "AppleTV Unity" as it is sometimes referred to at Infinite Loop, will include a faster Intel CPU, enhanced media decoding DSP chipset, more RAM, an optical drive and numerous other improvements over the "standard" models. Details to follow: including hot dirt on whether the new AppleTV Optical Drive will support HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, or both (?!).....stay tuned!

I hadn't heard of this particular iteration of the rumor, and MOSR says it was only updated week of Jan. 1, so I don't know know how new this one is, but I didn't see it on here yet.

It sounds nice, and another product I'd like to have! \

Joe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Well if it's on MOSR...
  • Reply 2 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's not going to be a HD-DVD drive, that much is pretty certain. And a Blu-ray drive will be way too pricey. No, I think it's going to be a standard DVD player.

And the name, if they keep the other models around? Will be something like; Apple TV Extreme, or Apple TV Pro. I hate to say I told you guys, but either way the Apple TV is getting an optical slot-load DVD drive, well at least one of them is.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Apple will not name a new ATV the Apple TV Pro. The Apple TV is really nothing that a pro would remotely need for their work. Extreme sounds more like it. Oh, and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD could be a BTO option.

The way it is now, ATV needs to have some MAJOR,MAJOR improvements, or be scrapped. It's vertually useless at this point.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I've heard rumors of a beefy Apple TV 2.0 with a built-in Blu-ray drive, all for $399. That, along with a movie rental service, would sell like hotcakes.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Rule # 1 - Never, NEVER give MOSR any hits!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I kinda did... But only because I wanted to see with my own eyes that it still existed! I actually thought they died out a year ago...
  • Reply 7 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post

I kinda did... But only because I wanted to see with my own eyes that it still existed! I actually thought they died out a year ago...

MOSR, surprisingly enough, is still there flooding the world of Macintosh with BS. It was not more than one or two times during last year that I was there to check the site. Since the silly dodecaedron rumor I lost any idea I eventually had about them (or him ).
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

MOSR, surprisingly enough, is still there flooding the world of Macintosh with BS. It was not more than one or two times during last year that I was there to check the site. Since the silly dodecaedron rumor I lost any idea I eventually had about them (or him ).

I really liked MOSR more than five years ago, when sanity was still around.. But now.. Oh boy.. Talk about banner hit spamming.. O_o
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Sounds good to me. Move my current AppleTV up to my bedroom, new one with Blu-Ray and 5.1 for my living room.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe O View Post

Just for interest, MOSR posted this blurb on the front page of their site.

It sounds nice, and another product I'd like to have! \

Er... don't you know that MOSR just makes-up everything they post? They haven't had any real inside-info for nearly a decade now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOSR

RThe new "AppleTV Unity" as it is sometimes referred to at Infinite Loop, will include a faster Intel CPU, enhanced media decoding DSP chipset, more RAM, an optical drive and numerous other improvements over the "standard" models.

An "enhanced media decoding chipset" is completely unnecessary, the combination of CPU and GPU can decode everything already, it's just that Apple have only implemented a small number of codecs for the AppleTV architecture.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's not going to be a HD-DVD drive, that much is pretty certain. And a Blu-ray drive will be way too pricey. No, I think it's going to be a standard DVD player.

And the name, if they keep the other models around? Will be something like; Apple TV Extreme, or Apple TV Pro. I hate to say I told you guys, but either way the Apple TV is getting an optical slot-load DVD drive, well at least one of them is.

Trust you to believe a site reviled for its BS just because it suits your ramblings about the ATV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

The way it is now, ATV needs to have some MAJOR,MAJOR improvements, or be scrapped. It's vertually useless at this point.

While I agree an update would be cool, AppleTV is NOT "virtually usless" since I moved mine in to the main living room/kitchen it has seen hours and hours of use, doing a search on youtube for comedy will while away an evening easily, all new content, plus I've averaged 2 films an evening easily for the last 2 weeks with plenty more to go. It's a great little box as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It's MOSR people. does anyone remember where they get their rumors? Kormac77's ass. -> I'm making plastics now...
  • Reply 13 of 23
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I was just thinking about that. They are the worst and most unreliable rumor site. If you are looking for a good laugh, read MOSR.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Sounds good to me. Move my current AppleTV up to my bedroom, new one with Blu-Ray and 5.1 for my living room.

Yep. That's almost certainly what I'll do as well.

• Reply 15 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Er... don't you know that MOSR just makes-up everything they post? They haven't had any real inside-info for nearly a decade now.

Like posts here are based on facts gleamed from secret contacts. At the very least they stick with their site, you gotta give them credit for that.

Quote:

An "enhanced media decoding chipset" is completely unnecessary, the combination of CPU and GPU can decode everything already, it's just that Apple have only implemented a small number of codecs for the AppleTV architecture.

Actually this is not true at all. There are many demonstrated cases where modern CPU's can not decode he latest video bit streams in real time. Further Apple TV will likely never use a modern CPU, at least in base models nor a modern GPU.

The other thing that a dedicated chip provides is reduced power consumption.

Dave
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

...doing a search on youtube for comedy will while away an evening easily, all new content, plus I've averaged 2 films an evening easily for the last 2 weeks...

Oh man!... you really need to get out of the house!!! .... there's a whole world of REAL people doing REAL things out there!! You should join in!
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Oh man!... you really need to get out of the house!!! .... there's a whole world of REAL people doing REAL things out there!! You should join in!

It's too frickin cold here at the moment, but nice judgement, totally wrong tho'
  • Reply 18 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

lol
  • Reply 19 of 23
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Like posts here are based on facts gleamed from secret contacts. At the very least they stick with their site, you gotta give them credit for that.

When you say "posts here", are you talking about the forum or the AppleInsider front page? If you are talking about the front page, AppleInsider has a much better track record than MOSR; if you're talking about the forum, you are comparing Apples and Oranges.

Quote:

Actually this is not true at all. There are many demonstrated cases where modern CPU's can not decode he latest video bit streams in real time. Further Apple TV will likely never use a modern CPU, at least in base models nor a modern GPU.

You will note that I said "CPU and GPU". The AppleTV has a Nvidia Geforce Go 7300, which has dedicated hardware to assist in the decoding of VC-1, MPEG2 and MPEG4 part 10. This is dedicated circuitry in addition to pixel processing units and shaders and what not. A "faster" GPU would be no faster at decoding the aforementioned codecs since the parts of the GPU used for 3-D do not help in the decoding.

The AppleTV would only need a moderately faster CPU and it would be able to decode Main Profile 1080p MPEG4 part 10 quite happily.

Quote:

The other thing that a dedicated chip provides is reduced power consumption.

I'll give you that one.

I suppose I could modify what I said slightly in that the combination of a faster CPU and GPU and dedicated codec DSP is unnecessary. Either a faster CPU is required, or a dedicated DSP, but not both (for happy 1080p decoding).
  • Reply 20 of 23
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    If Apple TV had some sort of DVD player (either blu-ray or standard), I should think it would have to have some sort of LCD display for time and track information. As well as some hard buttons for when the remote gets lost or the battery dies or some nonsense like that. Also, how do you deal with things like subtitles, dvd navigation, etc? You would need either a really good software interface to work with the current remote or a new remote with more functions.