Apple's preps iTunes 7.6 with support for movie rentals

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why is it illegal to rip a DVD that you own but OK to rip a CD? Why haven't the lawyers then shut down Handbrake? If you own - you should be able to rip it.

Different laws to do with copying digital video (I think copying analogue video is OK). It doesn't make alot sense to me either I'm afraid even if the DVD rip was DRM'd to keep it yours only that would be something. The point is Apple would be too good a target for the lawyers to pass up whereas handbrake seems to be a free, open development operation and not rich enough to pay up.

McD
  • Reply 62 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Now, we see Apple licensing FairPlay to do what they didn't want to do with Sony, but this time for videos on DVDs. What's the difference? Why are they doing it with video and not audio discs? The reason is simple, and it goes back to the beginning of this post: while you can copy just about any music songs in the world from a CD to an iPod legally, ripping a DVD to an iPod or Apple TV is not (at least in the US), so it's in Apple's interest to provide a legal way to transfer movies from DVDs to iPods, especially since the iTunes store movie selection is relatively small. Apple needs to provide, or facilitate the acquisition of legal video sources for use on the iPod and iPhone, they can't let WMV dominate this particular market segment.

So then Apple should buy TIVO or better yet SONY.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    Okay all is fine with iTunes and movies. But... could I fetch me a movie using my iPod Touch and just play it? The whole ripping thing or converting movies and syncing are a PITA.

I'd like to fetch movies the same way as I can with music from the iTunes Music Store.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    Quote:

Now, we see Apple licensing FairPlay to do what they didn't want to do with Sony, but this time for videos on DVDs. What's the difference? Why are they doing it with video and not audio discs? The reason is simple, and it goes back to the beginning of this post: while you can copy just about any music songs in the world from a CD to an iPod legally, ripping a DVD to an iPod or Apple TV is not (at least in the US), so it's in Apple's interest to provide a legal way to transfer movies from DVDs to iPods, especially since the iTunes store movie selection is relatively small. Apple needs to provide, or facilitate the acquisition of legal video sources for use on the iPod and iPhone, they can't let WMV dominate this particular market segment.

Allowing distribution of fairplay encoded content on DVDs is not the same as licensing the technology. The latter would allow other manufacturers devices to play the content and this isn't the case as with Sony's original complaint.

I could be wrong but I thought digital copyright laws didn't allow any duplication (even personal) of digital video content. Even syncing a legitimate download onto an iPod breaks this as would copying the iPod compatible video from a DVD but I guess the studios won't be pursuing as they're distributing for this purpose.

Also the vocal outcry against DRM didn't come from the masses and given the market dominance of iPods was always more of a perceived issue than a real one. The real agenda was to allow free sharing of media between users not technologies but perception is everything.

In the world without iPods those irritatingly unusable gizmos with badly designed host software would have ensured the longevity of CD players not the rise of a single interoperable DRM standard. iPods gained public awarness & acceptance of digital media players and with this, and some good blueprints for others to copy, Apple created a market which otherwise would have been slower to emerge if not a total failure. Largely thanks to them I'm skipping a hard-drive HiDef camcorder and going solid-state.

Posthumously transposing a failed maket model onto the results of a successful one isn't a clever thing to do but alternate reality is always fun.

McD
  • Reply 65 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Okay all is fine with iTunes and movies. But... could I fetch me a movie using my iPod Touch and just play it? The whole ripping thing or converting movies and syncing are a PITA.

I'd like to fetch movies the same way as I can with music from the iTunes Music Store.

I can't remember from when I set my friend's one up but I take it the iTunes store on the Touch doesn't have movies listed? I'm not sure about 'just play it' you could argue that the download would be too long but I know some public WiFi sites here with 10Mbps rates (better than the 6.5Mbps for my ADSL) hypothetically 18 minutes for a 2 hour iPod movie - and it's free with a coffee!

McD
  • Reply 66 of 90
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

Pixel ratio might be 640x480 but it's HIGHLY compressed video, meaning it's NO WHERE NEAR DVD quality. Pixel ratio alone does NOT = high picture quality.

That's BS. I own the 40GB AppleTV and use a Mac Mini to feed the AppleTV and 4 iMacs iMacs in our house. I have finally finished ripping my 200 DVD's with Handbrake to 640 by 480 to maintain compatibility with all our iPods.

The video quality of the AppleTV and the ripped DVD's are absolutely beautiful. Everyone that visits us is astounded as I scroll through 200 movies and we pick one to watch. I have NEVER had anyone complain about the video quality or say that it's not as nice as watching a DVD.

When I first started responding to people bitching about AppleTV and the video quality a few months ago I only had 6 friends and family members buy a Mac and an AppleTV for themselves. That figure has changed after Christmas. I have helped 17 people (friends and family) set up their Mac, Airport Extreme, and AppleTV - All because these people were so astounded that they just had to have a setup for themselves. I won't even bring up the Wii and the buying frenzy it brings on.

Other than forum geeks, paper-spec queens, and Microsoft Astro-Turfing Bloggers there is no one that is complaining about AppleTV's video quality. It's quite the opposite. It's quite amusing to watch the dropped jaw effect. I've even explained that the XBOX 360 can do the same thing just not as simply, but have had no one interested in going the game box route.

So i guess it's true that there is a real world out there that does not live in the on-line forums, bitching about the AppleTV, and pontificating about how the 360 does it better...

Content is one issue with AppleTV, Apple knows it and it looks like that's being addressed. The other issue is visibility. Apple does nothing to promote AppleTV, I hope they address this as well.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's foray into digital rentals may also be complemented by a move on the opposite end of the spectrum, whereby studios participating in the iTunes rental service will also begin shipping physical copies of their movies with iPod-compatible versions included on the same DVD.

That's great news. Lets just hope it's DRM free.
  • Reply 68 of 90
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

I could be wrong but I thought digital copyright laws didn't allow any duplication (even personal) of digital video content. Even syncing a legitimate download onto an iPod breaks this as would copying the iPod compatible video from a DVD but I guess the studios won't be pursuing as they're distributing for this purpose.

I looked up "Home Recording Act" in wikipedia and found that the law is actually titled "Audio Home Recording Act". This is the law that the courts have interpreted as permitting the shifting of audio content between formats and devices for home, personal, non-commercial use. Video was not mentioned.

As far as copying legitimate iTunes downloads and DVD WMV and Fairplay files to the iPod. If the content provides agree that copying these files to the iPod or any other device is permissible then it is legal. No issue, no problem.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    It's going to be a great MacWorld.
  • Reply 70 of 90
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

That's because of the DMCA, a law in the US that forbids the circumvention of digital copy-protection schemes, even for "fair-use". I think that the Handbrake developers are not based in the US, and if I remember correctly the software includes a warning that ripping a DVD might be illegal in "y

Actually, "Fair Use" is fairly well established in law in the U.S. and the DMCA does not expressly forbid it. I believe that the compatibility of the DMCA and Fair Use has still not been tested in any U.S. court. It is debatable as to whether or not it is illegal for an individual to rip a disc that they own for their own personal use, whether or not they must circumvent DRM/copy-protection to do so. Indeed, this page claims that whilst section 1201(a)(1)(A) of the DMCA states, "No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.", it also contains the explicit exception: "Nothing in this section shall affect rights, remedies, limitations, or defenses to copyright infringement, including fair use, under this title."

The irony comes in that the DMCA does make the distribution of software whose primary purpose is to circumvent DRM/copy-protection illegal. So, whilst you are allowed under fair-use to rip a DVD, there is no legal way to acquire the necessary software (although it would be the person giving you the software that is breaking the law, not you).
  • Reply 71 of 90
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    From what I recall, ripped DVDs take up considerable space depending how long the movie is. Because DVD storage space is at a premium, wouldn't it be easier to simply just to include a code that allow an individual to download the same movie off of the iTunes store?

I can't imagine that there is enough room on these DVDs (dual layer or not) to also include a mini version of the same movie (much alone in multiple formats like MP4 and WMV).

Dave
  • Reply 72 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

From what I recall, ripped DVDs take up considerable space depending how long the movie is. Because DVD storage space is at a premium, wouldn't it be easier to simply just to include a code that allow an individual to download the same movie off of the iTunes store?

I can't imagine that there is enough room on these DVDs (dual layer or not) to also include a mini version of the same movie (much alone in multiple formats like MP4 and WMV).

Dave

The easiest thing would be for the studios to allow Apple and others to implement DVD ripping in iTunes/other programs. Applications could add DRM to prevent sharing of the ripped copy and request you insert the original DVD into your optical drive from time to time in order to deter ripping of rented DVDs.

Then users could rip at a setting suitable for their target application (e.g. DVD resolution and high bit rate for AppleTV, lower resolution and bit rate for iPod.)
  • Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The easiest thing would be for the studios to allow Apple and others to implement DVD ripping in iTunes/other programs. Applications could add DRM to prevent sharing of the ripped copy and request you insert the original DVD into your optical drive from time to time in order to deter ripping of rented DVDs.

Then users could rip at a setting suitable for their target application (e.g. DVD resolution and high bit rate for AppleTV, lower resolution and bit rate for iPod.)

I like the idea but because of the DMCA, that functionality can't be added to iTunes.

Dave
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:

I like the idea but because of the DMCA, that functionality can't be added to iTunes.

Dave

This is my point. It's all up to the studios. The DMCA disallows the distribution of software whose primary purpose is to circumvent DRM and/or copy-protection.

If Apple came to agreements with the studios first, and implemented DVD ripping as described above, they wouldn't be taken to court under the DMCA.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So then Apple should buy TIVO or better yet SONY.

No, no no!

Either would cause far more headaches than they would be worth. They aren't Apple's business model. To try to force that would destroy any value either company has.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

That's BS. I own the 40GB AppleTV and use a Mac Mini to feed the AppleTV and 4 iMacs iMacs in our house. I have finally finished ripping my 200 DVD's with Handbrake to 640 by 480 to maintain compatibility with all our iPods.

The video quality of the AppleTV and the ripped DVD's are absolutely beautiful. Everyone that visits us is astounded as I scroll through 200 movies and we pick one to watch. I have NEVER had anyone complain about the video quality or say that it's not as nice as watching a DVD.

When I first started responding to people bitching about AppleTV and the video quality a few months ago I only had 6 friends and family members buy a Mac and an AppleTV for themselves. That figure has changed after Christmas. I have helped 17 people (friends and family) set up their Mac, Airport Extreme, and AppleTV - All because these people were so astounded that they just had to have a setup for themselves. I won't even bring up the Wii and the buying frenzy it brings on.

Other than forum geeks, paper-spec queens, and Microsoft Astro-Turfing Bloggers there is no one that is complaining about AppleTV's video quality. It's quite the opposite. It's quite amusing to watch the dropped jaw effect. I've even explained that the XBOX 360 can do the same thing just not as simply, but have had no one interested in going the game box route.

So i guess it's true that there is a real world out there that does not live in the on-line forums, bitching about the AppleTV, and pontificating about how the 360 does it better...

Content is one issue with AppleTV, Apple knows it and it looks like that's being addressed. The other issue is visibility. Apple does nothing to promote AppleTV, I hope they address this as well.

You're one of the few people I read who seems to have gotten it right.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    Quote:

This is my point. It's all up to the studios. The DMCA disallows the distribution of software whose primary purpose is to circumvent DRM and/or copy-protection.

If Apple came to agreements with the studios first, and implemented DVD ripping as described above, they wouldn't be taken to court under the DMCA.

The DCMA is Federal law. It specifically states that it is illegal to circumvent encryption. While the copyrighted work is owned by the studios they can't tell an indivdual (or Apple) its okay to break Federal law and circumvent the DVD encryption. Nothing written in the DMCA allows content owners this level of control.

Dave
  • Reply 78 of 90
    Quote:

The DCMA is Federal law. It specifically states that it is illegal to circumvent encryption. While the copyrighted work is owned by the studios they can't tell an indivdual (or Apple) its okay to break Federal law and circumvent the DVD encryption. Nothing written in the DMCA allows content owners this level of control.

Dave

Who's going to take Apple to court over it if the labels agree?

And anyway, if they are license holders of DVD encryption (they are) and implement DRM they are not "circumventing" the copy protection, they are replacing it with another form (probably better) of copy protection.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    Quote:

Who's going to take Apple to court over it if the labels agree?

And anyway, if they are license holders of DVD encryption (they are) and implement DRM they are not "circumventing" the copy protection, they are replacing it with another form (probably better) of copy protection.

Okay. Let's step back for a moment. I believe you brought up the idea of giving iTunes the ability to rip a DVD here:

Quote:

The easiest thing would be for the studios to allow Apple and others to implement DVD ripping in iTunes/other programs.

I am arguing that the studios can't give Apple or any other company the ability to rip the DVD. The studios are only the license holders of the copyrighted work contained on the encrypted DVD. They only have the ability to distribute the work. They don't have the ability authorize Apple to rip (i.e., break encryption) a DVD. They do have the ability to give the encryption keys to Apple so they can decrypt DVD contents (if this is what you mean by your past statements).

The news story on AI, was the idea that the studios would inlcude another electronic file on the DVD in which iTunes could read. This is fine. But it isn't giving Apple (or anyone else) the ability to circumvent DVD encryption. The iTunes compatible file will be like the DVD extras that are only accessible on a Mac/PC.

Dave
  • Reply 80 of 90
    Quote:

Dave

It's the content owners who DO have this level of control. No one else does.