nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB or ATi Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB x3/4?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Which of the choices for Video Cards would you recomend? I'd look at benchmarks, but unfortunatly many sites don't regard multiple cards.

Which one would you consider better for video games, and/or which one is better for 3D movie programs, etc? Finally, what one is best price vs. efficiency level.

It's not very important, as we're likely getting a iMac anyway, but I'd still like to know none-the-less.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

Which of the choices for Video Cards would you recomend? I'd look at benchmarks, but unfortunatly many sites don't regard multiple cards.

Which one would you consider better for video games, and/or which one is better for 3D movie programs, etc?

It's not very important, as I'm likely getting a iMac anyway, but I'd still like to know none-the-less.

8800 GT for both I'm pretty sure. That card is really nice, just below 8800 GTX's.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Most Ridiculous/Nerdy Thread Title of the Year!

• Reply 3 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    3dmark 06:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...1057&chart=312

marked in blue

Radeon HD 2600XT 256 = 788

Geforce 8800 GT 512 = 3099

The benchmarks won't be 100% accurate to the Mac versions but it's a good site for general comparison. Most of the benchmark show the 8800 to be much faster than the 2600 XT. I would go for the 8800GT myself.

overall game fps:

2600 XT = 896

8800 GT = 2125

so the 8800 GT is around 3-4 times faster than the 2600 XT.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

3dmark 06:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...1057&chart=312

marked in blue

Radeon HD 2600XT 256 = 788

Geforce 8800 GT 512 = 3099

The benchmarks won't be 100% accurate to the Mac versions but it's a good site for general comparison. Most of the benchmark show the 8800 to be much faster than the 2600 XT. I would go for the 8800GT myself.

overall game fps:

2600 XT = 896

8800 GT = 2125

so the 8800 GT is around 3-4 times faster than the 2600 XT.

In 3 to 5 weeks, when the Mac Pros with 8800 GT cards start shipping, then we can get some comparisons on the quietness levels of the 2 cards (2600 XT/8800 GT).
  • Reply 5 of 13
    If you are into gaming, I think a 512MB graphics card makes more sense instead of a 256MB graphics card. If you aren't into gaming and just want to enjoy movies, any default card will do.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Nvidia.

AMD?ATI is in terrible shape at the moment, not only that, but the 2600XT isn't even in the same league as the 8800. The 3850 maybe, but the 2600 is closer to $100-150 in PC dollars, the 8800GT is double that.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    -nova--nova- Posts: 64member
    Okay, thanks guys. You did understand that I meant 3 or 4 ATi 2600s, right? In SLi? Together?

It's just, they're only $50/$100 more, and I see no reason not to get it if it's better. But by the sounds of things, the nVidia 8800 is still better.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

Okay, thanks guys. You did understand that I meant 3 or 4 ATi 2600s, right? In SLi? Together?

It's just, they're only $50/$100 more, and I see no reason not to get it if it's better. But by the sounds of things, the nVidia 8800 is still better.

I think Apple takes the source code from ATI, and writes the OSX drivers, but I've used ATI's Catalyst drivers on Vista and Linux, and also their TV Wonder software, and I should've known, never to buy another ATI product after dealing with the TV software years ago...

Nvidia has almost always had pretty good, stable drivers, in Linux and Windows. ATI = bleh. And if you want to run Boot Camp for games, the 8800GT is one of the best out right now.

BTW, I still have the tv card, but use an open-source app, called DScaler instead. Works great with it.

Quad Crossfire would probably beat the single 8800, but I would still go with Nvidia IMO.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    -nova--nova- Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I think Apple takes the source code from ATI, and writes the OSX drivers, but I've used ATI's Catalyst drivers on Vista and Linux, and also their TV Wonder software, and I should've known, never to buy another ATI product after dealing with the TV software years ago...

Nvidia has almost always had pretty good, stable drivers, in Linux and Windows. ATI = bleh. And if you want to run Boot Camp for games, the 8800GT is one of the best out right now.

BTW, I still have the tv card, but use an open-source app, called DScaler instead. Works great with it.

Quad Crossfire would probably beat the single 8800, but I would still go with Nvidia IMO.

Okay, thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Even if you have a 4xgraphics cards, the amount of video memory available for applications is limited to the video memory of the primary card. The rest of the cards are for swapping and processing power and aren't directly mappable.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I haven't checked on the recent advancements.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    the 8800gt is the best card for its value.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that SLi wasn't supported by macs? Additional cards where just for additional monitors.. At least that's what I was told awhile back.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    8800GT

Because the other PCI(express?) lanes are 4x, I believe. Or something like that.

So even if you could rig together a 3 card SLI, I don't think it will be a good experience.

Go for the 8800GT 512MB, it should be decent experience and value for money.