Resounding Apple presence evident at this year's CES conference

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Despite its absence from the conference, Apple's impact on this year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas is evident from a quick stroll around the showroom floor, say analysts for investment bank Piper Jaffray who are on hand as observers.

"At the show, we observed three key themes in the CE space: hardware design, touchscreen devices, and ecosystem connectivity," analyst Gene Munster wrote in report to clients on Wednesday. "These are three areas of strength for Apple, and it is evident that other industry players are pushing to catch up."

For example, the analyst said, device makers are largely following Apple's lead in industrial design that began with the iPod and has since made its way to the company's Macs and the iPhone.

"iMac-like all-in-one desktop computers from Dell and Gateway, for example, are two instances of other device makers following Apple's lead," he wrote. "At CES it is clear that eye-catching design is a priority."

Secondly, the analyst said, the iPhone represents a consumer-ready level of maturity for touchscreen devices, which has spurred hype and expectations among consumers who are beginning to expect other device makers to devise high-technology that is accessible, simple, and fun.

"Touchscreen device makers like Samsung are following Apple's lead, but we believe Apple is significantly ahead of other device makers (except perhaps Microsoft)," Munster said. "Apple has largely focused its R&D on its multitouch technology, which is used in the iPhone, but we anticipate more multitouch devices from Apple throughout 2008."

Another area where Apple has seemingly set the bar is in hardware and software integration. The Piper Jaffray analyst noted that as the Cupertino-based company has expanded its device ecosystem with the Apple TV and iPhone, other consumer electronics device makers have struggled to match Apple in ease of connectivity between PCs and other devices.

"This year at CES several companies are pushing to catch Apple in terms of connectivity," he wrote. "Such products included the Sandisk Take TV, wireless streamers, and other connected entertainment devices that offer a non-iTunes competitor to Apple's entertainment ecosystem."

Munster, who maintains a Buy rating and $250 price target on shares of Apple, said he expects the company's announcements at next week's Macworld Expo in San Francisco to again set the bar for the year ahead in the consumer electronics industry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    I wouldn't exactly call the Dell & Gateway all-in-one products "eye-catching." In some cases it's better to just hide the CPU than try to recreate your version of a success story. While a lot of people have posted their dislike of the current iMac design, you have to give Apple credit for making a cleanly efficient piece of hardware.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    In a world where everything is a computer, a software company with a gift for user interface will be able to expand much beyond the PC. And will have a big advantage over companies without a software history.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Except for perhaps Microsoft?

Sebastian

+1
  • Reply 5 of 17
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    "Apple's lead in industrial design that began with the iPod and has since made its way to the company's Macs and the iPhone."

I personally think "Apple's lead in industrial design " started with the return of jobs and the original iMac, but thats just my opinion.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

"Apple's lead in industrial design that began with the iPod and has since made its way to the company's Macs and the iPhone."

I personally think "Apple's lead in industrial design " started with the return of jobs and the original iMac, but thats just my opinion.

I owned a Rev. A iMac and it was an awesome machine for its time.

Hail to the king baby.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    As Macs pick up market share this year, I think we're going to see more and more computer firms selling their computers with a user-friendly Linux installed. They'll be noting how well the Asus Eee, with Xandros Linux installed, has been doing.

I could even imagine Dell or HP eventually buying up a 'version' of Linux and developing it for their products; in short imitating Apple's approach.

There's one thing for certain, 'Windows' has become a dirty word in the boardrooms of the major computer manufacturers.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Sebastian

To be fair to M$, they do seem to have taken multitouch beyond Apple with their HUGE table. Who really knows who is technically ahead of the other because even Apple nor M$ know what the other has been doing within R&D.

I'm also not saying the the MS table is a product I want, but it is ahead of the iPhone in terms of multitouch, and that's all we have to go one between the two companies.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Sebastian

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx/?mkt...&wa=wsignin1.0

It's pretty hard to make it easier than this. Even a VB coder could manage...

IF they do this correctly it should work with any hardware interface device that offers multitouch detection...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CoJGrtVs4c

Done with wpf and a wiimote...

So yeah, except for Microsoft. Who happens to employ mutitouch researchers like Bill Buxton...
  • Reply 10 of 17
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

To be fair to M$, they do seem to have taken multitouch beyond Apple with their HUGE table. Who really knows who is technically ahead of the other because even Apple nor M$ know what the other has been doing within R&D.

I'm also not saying the the MS table is a product I want, but it is ahead of the iPhone in terms of multitouch, and that's all we have to go one between the two companies.

Except "demonstrated" vs "delivered" is a very different thing. MS has a very cool demo, but have the delivered anything yet? (Admittedly, I have not kept an eye on MS table to see where it's at.) Regardless, from what has been delivered into the consumer's hands, I'd say the iPhone/iPod touch are far ahead of anything MS has delivered.

MS has the edge in what's been demonstrated; however, there is a huge catch. Apple doesn't demonstrated products ahead of time! They don't brag about their vaporware and undelivered hardware like MS does. Who knows what Apple has brewing in their R&D labs!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Except "demonstrated" vs "delivered" is a very different thing. MS has a very cool demo, but have the delivered anything yet? (Admittedly, I have not kept an eye on MS table to see where it's at.) Regardless, from what has been delivered into the consumer's hands, I'd say the iPhone/iPod touch are far ahead of anything MS has delivered.

MS has the edge in what's been demonstrated; however, there is a huge catch. Apple doesn't demonstrated products ahead of time! They don't brag about their vaporware and undelivered hardware like MS does. Who knows what Apple has brewing in their R&D labs!

Exactly, I remember hearing of apple experimenting with touch technologies a good ten years ago, i'm fairly certain they have something up their sleeve that will take us by surprise.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Sebastian

That's what I said.

So, Microsoft shows the world a prototype version of Surface and now they're in the lead? When they actually ship product and the whole world clamors, give me a call.

Steve (Jobs): Here is what we have today. Currently shipping.

Steve (Ballmer): Here is what we'll have tomorrow. Maybe.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

Who really knows who is technically ahead of the other because even Apple nor M$ know what the other has been doing within R&D.

That's not true, I've seen the video cable running along I-5 from Apple's R&D room straight into Microsoft's building.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

The only thing that maters are the products your are shipping. Its nice to see what they are developing in R&D but you have to bring it to market. Not Market your R&D.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    Touchscreens do not an iPhone make.

What I mean by this is that it's too easy to think that the iPhone us just a fancy interface on a standard phone functionality. This is the mistake that people make with Apple - they mistakenly believe that Apple just makes the same sort of things as everyone else, with a fancy 'design' thrown on top. What they totally fail to realise is that Apple's design ethos penetrates right to the core of the product; lift the lid on an Apple product and you'll find that design right the way through, whether it's the layout of the PCB, or the design of the software frameworks.

So, if Apple is 'only' a year ahead of the competition then others should be demoing iPhone clones at CES right now that have exactly the same level of integration and functionality and design, along with an iTunes-style ecosystem, seamless synching, etc, etc. Nobody has done that yet.

Apple is way more than a year ahead
  • Reply 16 of 17
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDavies View Post

The only thing that maters are the products your are shipping. Its nice to see what they are developing in R&D but you have to bring it to market. Not Market your R&D.

This is a good point. Basically Apple *doesn't* tout all their R&D the way MS has done with Surface, so without a shipping product itt'ss really a stretch to say that MS is ahead by any means. Weren't they supposed to have an OS to outshine OS X? Oh yeah, that was Vista and see where that's gone...
  • Reply 17 of 17
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDavies View Post

MS isn't putting that much effort into a SDK to not bring it to market. The Surface hardware itself is niche but the SDK will likely apply to a bunch of things...and, at least this week, have more impact on the desktop. Next week...it could be quite different.