Raft of third-party accessories, software due at Macworld Expo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While most associate the Macworld San Francisco Expo with Apple announcements, several key third parties will use the gathering to introduce new products, AppleInsider has learned, including USB display adapters and a new high-end home printer.

DisplayLink

Having previously developed its technology only for Windows systems, DisplayLink will show the Mac OS X version of its technology that allows displays to be attached through USB rather than a traditional video card.

"Imagine adding up to six displays to a Mac with the simplicity of USB ? and without any additional graphics cards," the company says, noting that it could also lead to docking stations for MacBooks that can connect an LCD as well as normal USB devices. Kensington will be the first with products to support the technology. (Booth W-4238)

HP

Though shy on details, HP has said it will be introducing a "breakthrough" prosumer (high-end consumer) printer using the company's Vivera professional inks. (Booth S-1502)

Intego

Security software maker Intego will be announcing new versions of some of its suite, which includes antivirus, firewall, and content control software. (Booth S-2426)

IntelliScanner

Known as the producers of the IntelliScanner mini, used to track home info such as books and CD collections, will have a "hush-hush" scanning product geared towards businesses. S-437

Macally

Macally will focus primarily on the iPhone and iPod markets, but will also include a handful of its signature Mac input devices.

These are said to include a new all-in-one speaker/battery pack/protective case/stand, a new small footprint speaker designed watching movies on an iPod, an in-car FM transmitter for the iPhone and iPod, new mice and keyboards, as well as new cases for the iPod touch, classic, nano and the iPhone. (Booth S-926)

Skullcandy

Skullcandy hopes to leap into the iPhone audio market with its aluminum iPhone FMJ earbuds, which it believes should improve on the audio quality of Apple's stock earbud/microphone combo.

It also intends to produce Bluetooth helmets, ski goggles, and other winter sport gear. (Booth #W-4502)

Bags and cases: be-ez, Brenthaven, Crumpler, iSkin, Targus

Several case manufacturers intend to expand their offerings for iPhones and Macs at the event.

Introductions should include MacBook cases from be-ez (the Labesace line), Brenthaven, Crumpler (the 13-15" Squirrel range), and Targus (EcoSmart Radius backpacks and bags).

iSkin will be at the Macworld Expo chiefly to reveal an iPhone hard case and several leather MacBook bags. (be-ez: booth 4335 (unknown hall), Brenthaven: booth S-1912, Crumpler: booth S-931, iSkin: S-624, Targus: S-2644)

DriveSavers

DriveSavers claims it will be the first to offer a new data recovery service for Mac users. It will also showcase some of its "trophies" -- drives that have been burnt, impacted, or otherwise damaged but still recovered. (Booth S-338)

Vertus

Vertus will showcase a new program about to be released named Bling It!! which is designed to help create professional product shots without the associated photography and photo editing skills. (Booth W-4231)

reQall

Formed by a former Apple employee, reQall is developing a web service for the iPhone and iPod touch known as Connect.

It will act as an organizer that assembles notes, photos, and online information to help users remember important details of upcoming personal and business occasions. (Booth S-1338-44)

Atempo

Atempo will reveal a new data protection program named LiveBackup for Mac that should backup "high-value digital content" in real-time in the background. (Booth S-2627)

SMART Technologies

Best known for its digital whiteboards, SMART will unveil SMART Learning Marketplace, a web subscription service that hosts continuously updated content to be used by teachers. (Booth S-2508)

HumanEyes

The company's Creative3D 2.0 will help create 3D and animated effects for print work, including ads and packaging. (Booth W-4336)

RAGE Software

Web development software producer RAGE says it will fill the often-neglected niche of search engine optimization software on the Mac with a new product. It should help Mac users compete fairly with Windows users when designing and optimizing a page for maximum site traffic, according to the company. (Booth S-2727)

Pzizz

Pzizz plans to give the same boost as an espresso when it launches new versions of its self-titled brainwave stimulating software for Leopard and Tiger systems.

New modules should focus on improving creativity, help with meditation, and add a female voice to the energizer component. (Booth: W-4300, nicknamed the Power Napping hall)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    anything sound appealing to anyone?

just curious.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

just curious.

I like to see what the "breakthrough" printer is going to be. Maybe it will be a printer that the ink doesn't cost as much as the printer itself when it is time to replace the cartridges.

--Dave
  • Reply 3 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I like to see what the "breakthrough" printer is going to be. Maybe it will be a printer that the ink doesn't cost as much as the printer itself when it is time to replace the cartridges.

The cheapest print is the one you don't make.

The business model for consumer inkjets are a crazy beast, I don't think they'll change that until a lot of buyers get savvy and consider cost per page rather than just up-front costs. The printers are sold at a loss and made up for with the cost of supplies. The more expensive printers might be a little different.

Laser printers are usually a lot better in cost per page, and laser prints are usually better too, except for photo prints. The printers cost more up-front, the cartridges cost more ($80 carts hurt more than $30 inks, but you get MUCH more prints per money) and they do consume more power.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

just curious.

That list doesn't look that interesting to me. That's fine, I'm trying to avoid spending money.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That list doesn't look that interesting to me. That's fine, I'm trying to avoid spending money.

Add me to that list. I've never been much for accessorizing anyway. I don't even use ketchup on my french fries.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Add me to that list. I've never been much for accessorizing anyway. I don't even use ketchup on my french fries.

yeah, I'm on the uninterested bandwagen too -- its gotta suck to try to come up with the little tidbit apple forgot.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I think this is all great news as it shows the return of software development and third party product to the Mac platform like we haven't seen since the early days. It is all part of the 'Tide is Turning' phenomenon and can only help accelerate the growth of Macs in the wider World. I always used to travel to Mac World but haven't these past many years, this makes me really wish I was going and I just might be next year. I can almost feel the excitement building.

Hey, jokes are fine but this isn't 'ketchup' nor stuff 'Apple left out'. Take just one example of development on the Mac by third parties ... virtualization. VMWare and Parallels are critical in the growth of macs. The new versions which run on OS X Server open up the possibilities of XServes running multiple server OSs with all the advantages of a Mac. THis is HUGE.

I am waiting to see Enterprise solutions; Medical, Legal, Insurance, Retail, Governmental, Military, Energy and anything else that gets PCs and Windows with all the trouble they bring removed.

The growth of the 3rd party community for the Mac, even if no one here needs or wants anything but the plain Mac and Apple software, is crucial to the bigger picture.

Macs do not have to be just for domestic media centers however excellent they are at that.

Side Bar: Many were discussing the new movie content, quality aspects and download speeds. Last night I tested out many HD shorts from iTunes, NASA have some amazing stuff. The download speed was blazing and I was able to watch in real time. It was streamed straight to my ATV automatically and is true 720p and looked fabulous on a 5O" Sony HDTV.

I suspect the new Movie service will blow everyone's socks off.

Buy more AAPL now
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

DisplayLink will show the Mac OS X version of its technology that allows displays to be attached through USB rather than a traditional video card

That would be good for the Mac Mini... or its successor, whatever that might be.

But... What?... Hold on a minute!!! No big game announcements???
  • Reply 9 of 9
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Since Jobs has yet to give us a real docking solution for MacBook Pros, the DisplayLink seems like a good way to accomplish this.

I'm intrigued about the IntelliScanner. I hope it's geared to saving receipts that can be linked to business expenses. However, QuickBooks is fading into irrelevancy on the platform, and MoneyWorks is now the preferred Canadian solution. I haven't heard anything about a MoneyWorks upgrade.

Of course, the most needed accessory on the platform is a replacement for the awful Mighty Mouse. In a perfect world, MWSF attendees would rain down hundreds of Mighty Mice at Jobs during the keynote, causing Apple to put the product out of its misery.