I won a TiVo

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
It hasn't arrived yet but, but I am interested in finding out how well it will work for me. If anyone has any advice or information regarding the following, I'd appreciate it. It is a Series2 DualTuner.
  1. How well does it work with Macs? (TiVoToGo)?

2. How well does it work with digital cable, specifically Rogers in Canada?

3. How convienient is the IR blaster?

4. Recording digital channels while watching another digital channel

5. How well does the wireless (802.11G) work with Airport Extreme (N)?

If I had to buy a PVR, I would probably go with one from the cable provider, but they charge extortionist rates and had no plans right now to get one. I like the idea of the PVR also being the STB. Since this unit is free (includes 1-year subscription, I will give it a try. My main concern is that it doesn't add any level of complexity for my wife. She is resistant to new technology (I know TiVo isn't new) and it needs to be as seamless in it's integration and usage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    It really depends on the type of Tivo you're getting.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

It really depends on the type of Tivo you're getting.

All I know is that it is a Series2 Dual Tuner.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It hasn't arrived yet but, but I am interested in finding out how well it will work for me. If anyone has any advice or information regarding the following, I'd appreciate it. It is a Series2 DualTuner.
    1. How well does it work with Macs? (TiVoToGo)?

2. How well does it work with digital cable, specifically Rogers in Canada?

3. How convienient is the IR blaster?

4. Recording digital channels while watching another digital channel

5. How well does the wireless (802.11G) work with Airport Extreme (N)?

If I had to buy a PVR, I would probably go with one from the cable provider, but they charge extortionist rates and had no plans right now to get one. I like the idea of the PVR also being the STB. Since this unit is free (includes 1-year subscription, I will give it a try. My main concern is that it doesn't add any level of complexity for my wife. She is resistant to new technology (I know TiVo isn't new) and it needs to be as seamless in it's integration and usage.

I have a Series 2 Single Tuner, so I can only comment on some of this:

How well does it work with Mac?

Like a champ. I have a MacBook Pro that I can see in Tivo (I have the Tivo network connection, not dial up), play iTunes music (songs, albums, playlists, etc.) through Tivo, look at photos, and easily make Tivo-To-Go work.

Work with cable?

I have DirecTV, but I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine with cable -- it's just a different signal input.

IR Blaster?

As with any IR Blaster, they're kind of a pain, but when it's aligned with the Tivo box correctly, it works just as well as any other.

Recording one channel while watching another?

I only have a single tuner, but I don't think they'd sell a dual tuner unless it worked!

Wireless?

As mentioned above, it works really well. I highly recommend it.

I doubt you'll find a simpler interface for your wife -- I'm sure she's going to love Tivo.