Report claims "major" Apple TV update in the pipeline

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is planning a major upgrade of its slow-selling Apple TV set-top box as part of a new offensive to try to boost its share of the digital video download market, according to BusinessWeek.

However, the business publication offers no details of the initiative other than to say that the new hardware device should arrive around the same time Apple launches its iTunes movie rental service.

Conversing with American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu, BusinessWeek speculates that one possibility is that Apple might add a TV tuner to the product later this year.

The remainder of the report recounts the hurdles Apple chief executive Steve Jobs has faced while trying to replicate his success in the music business over in the digital video download sector.

It notes that Disney and Fox have agreed to support the upcoming iTunes rental service, but have different terms for when movies will be made available.

Independent Lions Gate, on the other hand, may agree to let Apple rent its stuff, but not sell its newer releases, the report adds.

Sony and Universal -- both fierce Apple rivals -- are unlikely to back the initiative.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 154
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    If it includes a Blu Ray player then I might add one to my collection of Apple hardware. At a very minimum, it *needs* to be able to play DVDs. I want to replace a piece of hardware, not another one.
  • Reply 2 of 154
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Sony has a love-hate relationship with Apple. Apple backed Blu-Ray pretty early, but Sony Music has had major issues with iTunes. Sony is such a multi-headed beast I think it's hard to characterize it as being fierce rivals and/or partners with anyone.
  • Reply 3 of 154
    Would like to see Apple and Sony get together and come up with something new
  • Reply 4 of 154
    What good is a TV Tuner unless you are getting over the air? Everything else (Cable Satellite) is scrambled.
  • Reply 5 of 154
    I have been using my Xbox 360 for media functionality and I HATE IT!. I'm so anxious to get rid of it, but I am waiting until after Macworld - hopefully I'll get one by summer!
  • Reply 6 of 154
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boatracer View Post

What good is a TV Tuner unless you are getting over the air? Everything else (Cable Satellite) is scrambled.

Not strickly true, in the US analogue cable is not scrambled (apart from premium channels) and cable companies are required to provide HD feeds of local channels in unscambled format (so called ClearQAM). If Apple put a QAM decoder on this thing, then it could at least record HDTV for Network TV off cable (as well as any other unscrambled QAM channels, in my case apart from the locals, GolTV!), as well as basic analogue cable channels.

Its not going to replace a TiVoHD unless it has Cablecard support though, I'll admit.
  • Reply 7 of 154
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Not strickly true, in the US analogue cable is not scrambled (apart from premium channels) and cable companies are required to provide HD feeds of local channels in unscambled format (so called ClearQAM). If Apple put a QAM decoder on this thing, then it could at least record HDTV for Network TV off cable (as well as any other unscrambled QAM channels, in my case apart from the locals, GolTV!), as well as basic analogue cable channels.

Its not going to replace a TiVoHD unless it has Cablecard support though, I'll admit.

i'd much rather see a combination of softwares - add SageTV to the AppleTV for tuning needs.

www.sagetv.com

then let network tuners do the work

http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/products/hdhomerun

the fact is a dual tuner like the HDHR above is about the same size as the AppleTV - not really a great solution. But if tuner *software* can be integrated into AppleTV (or if Apple releases some kind of SDK for creating 3rd party integration) then the AppleTV simply has to schedule recordings, and the network tuner can record all the data to your desktop computer.

I've been using SageTV for a while now (OTA only) and love it. their mac server and clients work well, and using a pair of HDHDR's i have 4 ATSC tuners at my disposal. I would just love to be able to use the AppleTV as an extender for Sage... I've tried EyeTV as well, and it seems, well, horrid compared to SageTV.

Anyway, i, for one, am really looking forward to an update to AppleTV.
  • Reply 8 of 154
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    A blu-ray player would be tempting. A DVR (which WONT happen) would make these things sell like hotcakes.
  • Reply 9 of 154
    I'll bet there is a Sony-Apple iTunes store deal for movie rentals as well. It is in both companies interest to move this whole thing forward.

After seeing how much Vista gets hosed with the advanced DRM in the new HD movie formats, it makes MUCH more sense to stick a Blu Ray player onto an Apple TV than it does to cripple OS X to enable play back of Blu Ray movies on your basic Mac. Besides, Apple TVs have HDMI outputs, while Macs do not and much of the DRM in the new HD formats relies on HDCP over HDMI.
  • Reply 10 of 154
    Whats the betting we get actual 'real' Apple branded TV's on tuesday? Rather than a box of tricks.

Consumers are pretty dumb, they just want to buy a TV and turn it on, not muck about with extra external boxes and new-fangled connectors.
  • Reply 11 of 154
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    The problem with Blu-ray is that it would probably come close to doubling the price of the AppleTV - i have yet to see a Blu-ray player/drive for under $250, and all the analysts are still saying that the Blu-ray drive is what makes the PS3 a loss leader.

However, i also seem to remember the AACS implementation in the Blu-ray spec (AACS is *required* for every replicated Blu-ray disk) allows burning of DRM'ed content, etc with very specific allowances in terms of use.
  • Reply 12 of 154
    If it had Blu-ray I'd get one, in light of HD-DVD's rapidly-approaching demise.

But somehow I doubt it.
  • Reply 13 of 154
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Maybe to succeed in video Apple has to do an AT&T-type exclusive deal with either a cable or satellite TV. That is, design a media device that is as compelling and game-changing as iPhone so that at least one carrier is willing to go exclusive with Apple in the hope of attracting more subscribers. I'd drop Comcast in a heartbeat if DirectTV and Apple did something iPhone-like.
  • Reply 14 of 154
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by age234 View Post

If it had Blu-ray I'd get one, in light of HD-DVD's rapidly-approaching demise. But somehow I doubt it.

AGREE! DVD is dead ... HD-DVD is dead ... gotta be blu-ray! But I also agree... I doubt it!
  • Reply 15 of 154
    The US government is providing $40 rebates for "qualified" set top boxes so people with older sets that are sans digital tuners can still be used when the broadcasters finally cut over to all digital broadcasts.

If Apple could capitalize on using the $40 rebate to pay for the COGs related to adding a tuner it could be very profitable venture.

Although, I question if this makes sense. Using the governments rebate to pay for an increase in COGs makes sense but why would Apple add a feature that would reduce the consumers likelihood of buying iTunes content. Unless they think that the only real way to make money is in rentals or movie sales. If I have a DVR from Apple I dont need to buy TV shows from them.

Personally I think it would be great to add a tuner as I dont have cable and rely on over-the-air digital broadcasts, iTunes and Netflix. I was tired of paying Comcast $1000 a year for garbage. That being said I am in a very small minority and most persons dont even know you can get HD/Digital broadcasts over-the-air.
  • Reply 16 of 154
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Sony has a love-hate relationship with Apple. Apple backed Blu-Ray pretty early, but Sony Music has had major issues with iTunes. Sony is such a multi-headed beast I think it's hard to characterize it as being fierce rivals and/or partners with anyone.

Why oh why I always asked have the Apple stores featured Sony monitors paired with their AppleTVs for demonstration?? Surely Apple could have used another manufacturer other then Sony?? Or a generic one even. Why has Sony been given this free advertising??
  • Reply 17 of 154
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

If it includes a Blu Ray player then I might add one to my collection of Apple hardware. At a very minimum, it *needs* to be able to play DVDs. I want to replace a piece of hardware, not another one.

Why not simply add DVD streaming from your Mac to the AppleTV box?
  • Reply 18 of 154
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

AGREE! DVD is dead ... HD-DVD is dead ... gotta be blu-ray! But I also agree... I doubt it!

Not as long as people continue to buy DVD's and they sold $16 billion worth last year. And most Blu-ray players play the ordinary DVD's.
  • Reply 19 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Whats the betting we get actual 'real' Apple branded TV's on tuesday? Rather than a box of tricks.

Consumers are pretty dumb, they just want to buy a TV and turn it on, not muck about with extra external boxes and new-fangled connectors.

Especially an empty box where you supposed to keep buying content from Itunes only to make it work. Put a disc drive in it already or let is stream DVD's from our computers while they play. If you can't rip DVD's in iTunes then let us stream them from our computers. Or are we only to spend more $$ for Itunes content?
  • Reply 20 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Why not simply add DVD streaming from your Mac to the AppleTV box?

Yes - it should have had that capability from day one. And manyconsumers were confused and thought that it did. The Apple employees at the stores back then didn't even know that it could not.