OS X suggestion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What do you people think about Apple implementing a change to OS X that adds functionality similar to "taskmenubar?" If you don't know what taskmenubar is, it?s a shareware program that puts icons of open apps in the menu bar.

In my opinion, its a much better solution than either the classic pull down menu or the OS X dock. With taskmenubar, you can see at a glance what apps are open and just one click on the small icon brings up that app. If you double click the small icon it hides the other open apps. It?s great because it?s simple and makes using your mac easier. And, it keeps your desktop cleaner and less cluttered.

Since the menu bar can get full with pull down menus, I think a solution would be to double the size of the menu bar. The bottom half could stay as is. The top half would be used to display the small icons of open apps. Also, there would be room left to add other things in it such as stock tickers, network activity monitors, etc. Since monitors are getting bigger, I don't see much of an issue with losing another 1/4 inch of horizontal screen area.

Another idea using a double sized menu bar would be to move the items in the right side of the current menu bar to the top half left side of the new double sized menu bar. The right side then could be used to display open icons at double the size.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    While I have used taskmenubar, I am nnot willing to give up scrteen space on a double thick menu bar. I am in the same hold-on-to-9-because-it-worked-boat but between FruitMenu, the Dock, and ASM, I'm getting closer to embrassing X.

TinkerTool makes hidden apps transparent, if it could make UNOPEN apps transparent as well then that would essentially be a big version of TaskMenuBar. Funny thing is, is after i got used to taskmenubar, I staeted using A-Dock and prefer it. Ironic that X has a 'dock' as well, makes migrating easier
  • Reply 2 of 5
    If they do make something like that I hope there is a way to turn it off. I don't care to see my screen littered with icons from every open app. I like my desktop with a minimal set of distractions like that. I use ASM to switch applications or confirm which are running now. I use contextual menus to put things in the trash and I keep the dock shrunk down to the smallest size and run it hidden so I never have to use it at all.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Sorry for the ignorant question neutrino, but what is "ASM?"

I like your desktop management philosophy.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    The dock is better than TMB. More functional, far more potential, and importantly, it's size is adjustable. TMB is too small for some people, and Apple would never allow it.

I personally like using the dock vertically because I have a greater need for vertical space, so for me it takes up less space than a double-thick menu bar.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by MacGregor:

<strong>Sorry for the ignorant question neutrino, but what is "ASM?"</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://asm.vercruesse.de/"; target="_blank">Application Switcher Menu</a> -- it mimicks the menu from OS9