MacBook Pro: Matte or Glossy Screen???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have booked my 1:1 personal shopping appointment at the local Apple store for January 19th. I figure that gives me and the rest of the world enough time to sort out the info Mr. Jobs will announce on January 15th. Nevertheless, I'mm hell bent on getting a MBP.

When looking at the two diffeent screens side by side in the store, it's hard to tell which one I'll like. It's so bright in the store with all the overhead flourescents - the glossy doesn't look as good as I think it will look in a different place.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I think I want the glossy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    batbat Posts: 47member
    Glossy.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I'm a fan of the glossy, it gives the screen a nicer touch.

If you're going to use your MBP in a highly lit area all the time where lights will be glaring down on it, maybe you'll want to go the other direction.

I personally recommend the glossy...but that's from an iMac user's perspective.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    A friend of mine just bought his first Mac - a 17" MacBook Pro. He asked me what kind of screen he should get, and I told him that if he was serious about colour accuracy, he should go for the matte screen. He wanted to use Photoshop on the machine, so that's what he went for. When he got he machine he was utterly delighted. So were his children who spent hours playing with Photobooth.

About a month later I bought a 20" Aluminum iMac with a glossy screen. When he saw it he was mightly pissed with me because he insisted the glossy screen looked much better than his matte screen.

I tried to console him by telling him that my glossy screen was inferior as it distorts the on-screen colours, is incredibly reflective, has a terrible viewing angle, easily picks up smudges, and displays only thousands of colours, not millions.

He was having none of it and told me I was a terrible bastard because I recommended a matte screen.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

A friend of mine just bought his first Mac - a 17" MacBook Pro. He asked me what kind of screen he should get, and I told him that if he was serious about colour accuracy, he should go for the matte screen. He wanted to use Photoshop on the machine, so that's what he went for. When he got he machine he was utterly delighted. So were his children who spent hours playing with Photobooth.

About a month later I bought a 20" Aluminum iMac with a glossy screen. When he saw it he was mightly pissed with me because he insisted the glossy screen looked much better than his matte screen.

I tried to console him by telling him that my glossy screen was inferior as it distorts the on-screen colours, is incredibly reflective, has a terrible viewing angle, easily picks up smudges, and displays only thousands of colours, not millions.

He was having none of it and told me I was a terrible bastard because I recommended a matte screen.

You were right about the color accuracy of the matte. I made my MBP choice matte because in my line of work I can't be too far off, so every little bit helps.

Tell your bud I'll buy it off of him... cheap.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Glossy screens? A consumers trick to boost colors.

I hate glossy. The colour reproduction of Glossy screens boosts all colors, but when you're doing serious photo work and you need reliable color reproduction, go for matte!

And when you are reviewing your work, glossy has inpact on what you see because of the reflections. Even with a room without too much light, your image will still be affected by reflections.

I use Aperture and Final Cut Studio for my work and everyone I know in the field choose matte over glossy every day.

It's not a coincedence all cinema monitors all have matte displays, and MacBook Pro's still give you the "matte" option. It's because it's the choice for professional use.

But when you want to look at DVD movies at home, or play games, glossy will give you a better "look and feel", I think.

Conclusion: it depends on what you want to do with your computer.