Looking for a quiet Firewire external HD

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am interested in buying a 3.5" external HD that has FW400 and 800. I'm aware the there's a Firewire upgrade coming in the near future to improve 1394b (FW800) to 3200Mbps, but I'm not too concerned. I'm also not too concerned about disk performance. I am concerned about the noise of the unit.

To give everyone some backstory, in the next six months I am going to get a new iMac. I currently have an iMac G5 which I may sell and buy a Mac Mini, or I may keep: it's hard for me to say. Either way, I'm going to want a quiet external HD, and it actually wouldn't be a bad time to buy one right now.

If any of you have good suggestions, I'm excited to know. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Western Digital My Books are pretty quiet.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    The Lacie Quadra (I have 500GB) would NOT be a good choice if you want it quiet... cheap-yes, but quite loud in a still setting.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Seagate Freeagent is very quiet.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skatman View Post

Seagate Freeagent is very quiet.

Thanks. The FreeAgent Pro comes with Firewire and eSata. If all else fails, it is a good option, although the black and orange color scheme is a little weird. . . even for someone who actually owns a fair amount of black and orange schwag.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    G-Tech HD's have no fan, hence no fan noise. I just ordered the 500 GB 400-800 f/w from Amazon. Spendy, but very very good. Check them out.

www.g-technology.com

Morod

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I am interested in buying a 3.5" external HD that has FW400 and 800. I'm aware the there's a Firewire upgrade coming in the near future to improve 1394b (FW800) to 3200Mbps, but I'm not too concerned. I'm also not too concerned about disk performance. I am concerned about the noise of the unit.

To give everyone some backstory, in the next six months I am going to get a new iMac. I currently have an iMac G5 which I may sell and buy a Mac Mini, or I may keep: it's hard for me to say. Either way, I'm going to want a quiet external HD, and it actually wouldn't be a bad time to buy one right now.

If any of you have good suggestions, I'm excited to know. Thanks.

• Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks for the G-Tech recommendation! One of these models looks perfect, despite the higher cost. Whereas I hide a lot of my electronics away in cabinets, these look great.