Prepare to be....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
....let down.

A buddy of mine who works at the campus says this is going to be one of the largest lackluster Macworlds since Mac OS 10 made it's debut in 2000, you know the one where .Mac was also announced?

Yeah, he says even worse then that.

You heard it here first.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I say again:

• Reply 2 of 49
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I say again:

iMac Flower Power

To imply what exactly? Actually the Flower Power design appealed much to women.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

To imply what exactly? Actually the Flower Power design appealed much to women.

My point is that we need to keep in mind just how disappointing these SteveNotes can be. Personally, I suspect we're going to see some cool stuff in this one?and if Apple releases some kind of small tablet-y thing, I'll be first in line to buy it. If Apple releases some new TV, I'll be ready to buy it, too.

But to sit around and moan about how disappointing this will be is, to me, pretty sad,considering that even if Apple just talks about iTunes stats and marketshare growth, talks about 10.5 adoption, demos the new hardware that got released last week, and updates the iPhone, it will not be as disappointing as the Dalmation and Flower Power iMacs.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

....let down.

A buddy of mine who works at the campus says this is going to be one of the largest lackluster Macworlds since Mac OS 10 made it's debut in 2000, you know the one where .Mac was also announced?

You heard it here first.

Somehow I have trouble believing that.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Sure , it could be that disappointing. If you're expecting an iTablet, free 4G cell communication for all MacBook users and, as CARS is reporting, that we all get to go out for Ice Cream with Steve later this year.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I'm convinced that there will be little of substance in this one.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

My point is that we need to keep in mind just how disappointing these SteveNotes can be

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Somehow I have trouble believing that.

Speaking of Steve-notes, let down or not is highly subjective I think. So, there is a good chance that everyone is right.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    They must think they have something because if it was going to be a total let down they wouldn't have announced the Mac Pro a week before. They could have touted the single processor as a Pro level consumer machine. They would have also shown just how fast this thing is. And AFAIK the new Mac pro is the fastest thing out there. I don't think anyone else but Apple has those processors. They could have had the same Microsoft employee who is going to talk about Office 08 come out with some gamers and show that the Mac pro is the fastest gaming rig there is. Because it probably is in boot camp.

No... I think steve has something up his sleeves. He could have attacked the PC side with a dual platform machine that is faster than any PC. I don't think Apple would have passed up an opportunity unless they have a bigger one.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    At $2200 the single is priced high for a consumer machine.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

At $2200 the single is priced high for a consumer machine.

The Mac Pro is too priced too highly for a consumer machine, you say?
  • Reply 11 of 49
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Nothing would surprise me, but I think Apple have something special up their sleeve.

The Mac Pro pre-announcement looks like a harbinger of things to come.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Nothing would surprise me, but I think Apple have something special up their sleeve.

The Mac Pro pre-announcement looks like a harbinger of things to come.

Correct, otherwise the Mac Pro intro would have been saved or the keynote. Its an impressive system.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    tx65tx65 Posts: 31member
    Quote:

....let down.

You heard it here first.

The movie rentals, expanded for sale movie collection, refined Apple TV, anticipated I-phone enhancements, mac book pro enhancements and a thin lap top are pretty much all leaked out with people just waiting for the official blurb.... If that is all Steve talks about, the keynote will be lackluster in that nothing unexpected is talked about. If you really think about it, what is going to be talked about that gets a big bang in the industry and on wall street (remember them)?

- A well done umpc that builds on and expands the touch screen direction of the I-phone and I-pod touch showing Apple's strength in this arena?

-The I-phone being unlocked to be used with any cellular provider of the customer's choosing?

- A new line of desktop machines (replacing the mac mini) that redefines the low end of the market since the Imac has really become a mid-range price point product (compared to the Mac Pro on top and Mac Mini on bottom)?

- OS X being able to run any Windows program natively just by installing the application?

Of course, this type of misinformation could just be more classic apple or should I say Steve Jobs keeping everyone off base until show begins....
  • Reply 15 of 49
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

....let down.

You heard it here first.

If your buddy works on Campus he would know less than we do, and that we do know.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

If your buddy works on Campus he would know less than we do, and that we do know.

LOL, good one.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

....let down.

A buddy of mine who works at the campus says this is going to be one of the largest lackluster Macworlds since Mac OS 10 made its debut in 2000, you know the one where .Mac was also announced?

You heard it here first.

… Let down is in the eyes of the beholder.

Now if it turns out to be, thewn get ready fro Apples legal team to knock on your door, to find out who your friend is (was) so that they can fire him!

My guess is, is is bull crap. Most Apple employees, are likely to be happy to be employed (at Apple), most know they would lose their job if they say the wrong thing (and this is the wrong thing) AND

I agree with everyone else, who said in a way "Apple is too cool a company" "too smart a company" to announce the BIG news a week before an event, where folks are expecting a BIG announcement, only to make for a BIG disappointment, and a BIGGER loss in the stock market value.

Will whatever they announce, be the BIG thing you, I and others are hoping for (if we know what that was) - maybe not, but there WILL be something BIG, something COOL, something NEW, something INTERESTING announced at MacWorld. I DON'T even work there, and I can guarantee that

Skip
  • Reply 18 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Penryn mobile is coming because the chips are out so that's something. Announcement of quad mobile computers later in the year. The Mac Pro update was pretty good although long overdue on the graphics front.

There's strong indication of the ultra-portable. If that's all there is, I'd say it's still better than last year because at least there will have been Mac product updates.

It probably won't be an amazing event but they rarely are these days. It's better to gear up for disappointment because if you are disappointed, you won't care, if there are good things, you'll be happier than if you were expecting them.

I personally think that all the consumer products including Apple's best product the Mini will get a refresh with Penryn and I hope they eradicate the Intel integrated graphics once and for all - possibly with new low end ATI chips. Imagine if they moved the ATI cards from the iMac to the Macbook and Mini and then used better chips in the iMac. Now that the Mac Pro has much better graphics, they can do this without making the Pro lineup look bad.

This gears up for more gaming and graphics-related announcements at WWDC. Also when they release Phenomenon, which will likely be entirely hardware accelerated.

If they release a new Mini with Penryn dual 2GHz and a 128MB Radeon 2400 XT, I'd probably order one right away. It's not ideal but it'll tide me over until quad-core mobiles or second hand Mac Pros around summer time.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TX65 View Post

The movie rentals, expanded for sale movie collection, refined Apple TV, anticipated I-phone enhancements, mac book pro enhancements and a thin lap top are pretty much all leaked out with people just waiting for the official blurb.... If that is all Steve talks about, the keynote will be lackluster in that nothing unexpected is talked about. If you really think about it, what is going to be talked about that gets a big bang in the industry and on wall street (remember them)?

You're serious? Do you realize how much shit you just rattled off. THAT would be disappointment??

I hate to break it to you, but be prepared to be disappointed then. I doubt you'll see everything you just listed.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

You're serious? Do you realize how much shit you just rattled off. THAT would be disappointment??

I hate to break it to you, but be prepared to be disappointed then. I doubt you'll see everything you just listed.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Who else is releasing so many diversified things so well? Just because a few fans about the internet "might" have some guesses doesn't mean anyone else knows at all about what Apple's releasing till they do.

Yeah, be prepared to be disappointed if so many rumors come true. Wouldn't that be a bummer....