Need Help Troubleshooting DV 8mm transfer into iMovie

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have several old 8mm tapes that I want to transfer into iMovie. I purchased an 8mm Sony camcorder that has a DV output expressely for this purpose. I connected it to my iMac24 using a 4-pin(DV) to 6-Pin(400) Firewire cable. iMovie recognizes my camcorder but can't seem to import the footage. The import screen identifies the status of the camcorder(ie-pause,play,stopped)on the upper left of the preview screen, but cannot display the video from the tape. In other words, i see the video playing on my 8mm camcorder's viewscreen but not on the iMac import screen. All I see on the import screen, besides the status on the upper left, is a blue screen. However, when the camcorder is set to record mode I do see the preview images from the viewfinder of the camcorder on the preview screen of my iMac. I've tried iMovie in both automatic and manual import settings with no luck. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to what to try next?

Note: I have been successful using the same connection from my miniDV camcorder to the iMac, using the same cable and ports, to transfer video from those miniDV tapes. Anyone have a clue as to what's causing this? I do not have Final Cut Express so I'm not sure if the same problem would occur if I tried that program. I'd hate to spend the $$ on FCE only to have the same thing happen. I'm a MAC newbie and would like to get used to iMovie before moving on to FCE.

Thanks in advance,

Luis

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrlrodk View Post

I have several old 8mm tapes that I want to transfer into iMovie. I purchased an 8mm Sony camcorder that has a DV output expressely for this purpose. I connected it to my iMac24 using a 4-pin(DV) to 6-Pin(400) Firewire cable. iMovie recognizes my camcorder but can't seem to import the footage. The import screen identifies the status of the camcorder(ie-pause,play,stopped)on the upper left of the preview screen, but cannot display the video from the tape. In other words, i see the video playing on my 8mm camcorder's viewscreen but not on the iMac import screen. All I see on the import screen, besides the status on the upper left, is a blue screen. However, when the camcorder is set to record mode I do see the preview images from the viewfinder of the camcorder on the preview screen of my iMac. I've tried iMovie in both automatic and manual import settings with no luck. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to what to try next?

Note: I have been successful using the same connection from my miniDV camcorder to the iMac, using the same cable and ports, to transfer video from those miniDV tapes. Anyone have a clue as to what's causing this? I do not have Final Cut Express so I'm not sure if the same problem would occur if I tried that program. I'd hate to spend the $$ on FCE only to have the same thing happen. I'm a MAC newbie and would like to get used to iMovie before moving on to FCE.

Thanks in advance,

Luis

Have you tried toggling the "Auto/Hi8" playback mode selector on the camera to "Hi8"?

Also, make sure the camera's TBC (Time Base Corrector) function is on, in case the tapes you are trying to play back are too wonky to track.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thank you so much for your response. I found the "Auto/Hi8" playback mode selector and have tried it in both settings(Hi8/8mm and Auto) with no luck. The TBC was set to "on" however. My camera is a Sony DCR-TRV480 that supports both Hi8 and 8mm playback. Not sure if it makes a difference but the tapes that i have are all 8mm(not Hi8).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    You're not going to believe this latest developement. I read on macrumors and appleinsider that Apple had issued several updates yesterday, one of them being update 7.1.1 to iMovie. I ran the manual update just to get ahead of my scheduled automatic weekly updates. I read up about the updates on Apple's site, particularly the one that pertains to iMovie. It said that it addresses performance issues and some other minor problems. I figured let me try hooking up my camera to see if anything affected my lack of ability to import 8mm tapes. I was literally floored when my footage came on screen on my imac. It imported everything flawlessly. I'm in the process of converting the rest of my catalogue as I write this. The problem all along was with iMovie, not my camera. I am so happy. Because of this update, and my good turn of events, I suggest everyone who has had previous issues with iMovie try performing those tasks that were buggy or not working at all. I wish you all the same good fortune that I had. This made my day.