Apple's "in the air" teaser; Amazon and Pepsi promo; Netflix videos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is once again hinting of a surprise in store for its Macworld San Francisco keynote. Also, Netflix's new unlimited movie streams may take on Apple movie rentals, and Pepsi aims to repeat its Superbowl 2004 music giveaway in 2008 -- but with Amazon, not Apple.

Apple posts MWSF keynote teaser

Mirroring the large banners in front of the Moscone Center, Apple has refreshed its website to include a teaser that says "2008. There's something in the air."

The graphic provides little hint as to what will be released on Tuesday but explains that a replay of Apple chief Steve Jobs' keynote will be available that same afternoon. The Mac maker in recent years has made a tradition of offering a streaming edition of the keynote available a few hours after Jobs leaves the stage.

Apple's change also reflects a return to its practice of drumming up attention for its major press events. Although the firm generated considerable press by promising its 2002 San Francisco keynote would be "way beyond" the rumor sites and led to the flat-panel iMac G4, its homepage has largely remained quiet before later keynotes until 2007, when Apple generated excitement for what was learned to be the announcement of the iPhone.

Apple is widely expected to be releasing an ultralight notebook at this year's event.

Amazon, Pepsi launch Superbowl music giveaway

Confirming a rumor spread by Billboard, Amazon and Pepsi on Monday revealed a new promotional campaign to spur on sales of the former's digital music and the latter's drinks.

Called Pepsi Stuff, the campaign will be familiar to anyone who remembers Apple's 2004 iTunes giveaway: beginning on the Superbowl, Amazon MP3 will allow customers to download free songs using codes printed under any Pepsi bottle cap.

But instead of relying on random caps that promise a free song with as little as one purchased drink, the Amazon campaign will use a points system. Each bottle guarantees a code but only supplies enough points for one fifth of a song -- a technique which both ensures frequent buyers and prevents the bottle-tipping that let some 2004 participants claim free songs without buying a bottle at all.

However, the tie-in also reveals an apparent split between Amazon and Universal Music Group. The record label is the lone major label not to participate in the campaign and previously said it would end a trial run of DRM-free music this month, though whether the contest indicates Universal's withdrawal from Amazon MP3 is unknown.

Analyst: Netflix offers unlimited videos, to feel little impact from Apple

Netflix has introduced an unlimited version of its Watch Instantly service that should have a "positive impact" on the DVD rental service's bottom line while shrugging off challenges from a likely iTunes rental service, according to an investment note from Piper Jaffray senior analyst Michael Olson.

Where before customers could only stream as many hours of video as dollars paid for their subscription -- amounting to 17 hours of playtime for a $17 monthly fee -- the update allows visitors to watch certain movies from the Internet as many times as they like.

Despite the newfound freedom, the service is not expected to hurt Netflix's costs in the short term and may lead to extra subscriptions in the long run, according to Olson.

And while many will claim Apple's service will trump the Netflix offering, its impact may be minimal as the rentals will be used chiefly by a small base of Apple TV owners, the analyst says. Apple will only significantly affect Netflix if it can use a movie rental feature to expand the number of Apple TVs sold.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Considering that Netflix requires WMP 11, which in turn requires one to allow Microsoft to install their OS validation spyware, I'm pretty uninterested in their service, despite already being a subscriber and also having historically used WMP as much as iTunes for music. I'm no zealot, but yoking their service to intrusive, offensive software like that is always going to be a stumbling block to any dominance Netflix wishes to establish. It seems like they're *trying* to force me onto iTunes. And succeeding.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    There's no need for iTunes rentals to replace or "kill" Netflix. Netflix is a great option* and iTunes would be a NEW option. Different than other options, with its own different advantages. It doesn't have to "beat" Netflix, is just has to fit into Apple's media "ecosystem" in an east-to-use way. And it's only a first step.

* unless you own a Mac. Besides, Netflix online library is only a fraction of their (outstanding) DVD library.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    So I have to drink 5 Pepsi's to get one free song.

I'm hoping some are worth more than others and the minimum is 1/5th of a song.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

There's no need for iTunes rentals to replace or "kill" Netflix...

I know... I hate that zero-sum mentality. You see it everywhere... There is such a thing as fair competition between companies. Why can't Apple's offering exist alongside Netflix...
  • Reply 5 of 16
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    So, if it turns out the only thing "in the air" is an oversized 13" (WTF?!?) "ultralight" can we send Apple an iStink bomb?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    trip1extrip1ex Posts: 109member
    Notice the graphic is half an apple and the stem isn't physically connected. Folks may be right about a compact notebook that depends on wireless tech more than before.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I really hope apple is hyping something big, because (at least for me, don't know about you guys) it feels like one of those years where nothing big is going to go down.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I see no real reason to be excited about Netflix as the service only works with Windows or Vista. Maybe they will some day make the service available for Mac users (not running Parallels or VMware) Then again, maybe it's a moot point depending on what is announced tomorrow?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifiredmyboss.com View Post

So I have to drink 5 Pepsi's to get one free song.

I'm hoping some are worth more than others and the minimum is 1/5th of a song.

I don't think the resulting liver damage is worth one song.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I really hope apple is hyping something big, because (at least for me, don't know about you guys) it feels like one of those years where nothing big is going to go down.

I'm starting to get the same feeling. A big non-event. Yaaaawn.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Well, Netlfix got one more customer out of their change. I've got a 40" LCD TV hooked up to a WinXP machine and I'm going to try this Watch Now feature. I was also getting tired of Blockbusters "Long Waits" and I'm hoping this won't be an issue for the movies I want to rent on Netflix.

I have to admit that with mail in movies and now instant movies, Blockbusters free in-store trade seems almost like too much trouble.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    The website is down now... But about an hour ago if you went to www.macbookair.com it brought you to apple's homepage but it was

www.apple.com/(something like %will%there%be%a%macbook%air%tuesday%)

Did anyone else see that? what do you guys think?

I hope that it's a stupid name, and that Macbook Mini is more fitting and fits better with their product line.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thechr View Post

The website is down now... But about an hour ago if you went to www.macbookair.com it brought you to apple's homepage but it was

www.apple.com/(something like %will%there%be%a%macbook%air%tuesday%)

Did anyone else see that? what do you guys think?

I hope that it's a stupid name, and that Macbook Mini is more fitting and fits better with their product line.

Arn over at Mac rumors registered that domain earlier.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Hello,

I have been involved in the areas of language and sub-language (the meaning of a message can be suggested). So, if advertising is a scientific process, be aware that easing is an art.

Now, look closely to the teaser on Apple Inc website. First, they used a thiner font on its banners. Then, if you pay a close look at the Apple logo on the same teaser, you'll notice the design of its edges. It is just as if it was a very thin apple.

My professional opinion : the truth is beforte our eyes ; it's gonna be an ultra thin notebook.

Have a nice day,

Wang PI
  • Reply 15 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    As I just commented in MacRumors too on the same issue, these companies are all running around altering their well thought out plans in a panic and knee jerk way all because of Apple's carefully planned and usually well executed strategies. It is astounding what an impact Apple now has on so many major companies.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Hello,

Well, finaly it turned out that my analysis was quite right

Remember : if advertising is a scientific progress, teasing is an art.

My professional background tells me that every banner Apple unveils contains the answer.

I might post something about that later this week if you want.

Have a VERY nice day,

Wang PI