High-quality photos and notes on Apple's new MacBook Air

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple at the Macworld Expo on Tuesday had several dozen of its new MacBook Air notebooks laid out on a sprawling matte black showroom table for show-goers to test drive, in addition several non-functional units suspended in mid-air for photographers.

Some initial notes

The MacBook Air is so thin that it's difficult for our digital SLR to auto focus on the side profile of the unit.Apple staffers on the show floor appear to be somewhat clueless about which specific Intel Core 2 Duo chip the MacBook Air employs, but we're still working on nailing this down. Apple lists the specs as Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4MB on-chip shared L2 cache running at full processor speed.Like Apple's other MacBooks, the system bus speed is 800MHz.It runs on Mac OS X 10.5.1 build 9B2324Weight is exactly 3.0 pounds (1.36 kg).Height is 0.16-0.76 inch (0.4-1.94 cm).Width is 12.8 inches (32.5 cm).Depth is 8.94 inches (22.7 cm).The 2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM is soldered to the motherboard. So no memory upgrades available.The multi-touch trackpad works with ease and better than you would expect, at least in the applications Apple is using for demos.The battery is a integrated, non-replacable 37-watt-hour lithium-polymer.Model identifier is MacBook Air1,1Boot ROM Version is MBA11.00BB.B00SMC Version is 1.23f7A Sudden Motion Sensor is enabled.In addition to the $99 MacBook Air external SuperDrive, Apple is also offering a $29 USB Ethernet Adapter, $49 MagSafe Airline Adapter, and $19 Apple Micro-DVI to Video Adapter.

For more photos, continue on to page 2 of this report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    Pretty!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 111
    No removable/replaceable battery?
  • Reply 3 of 111
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Sexy

• Reply 4 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimUrban View Post

Not surprising at this thickness, also no replaceable hard drive or memory (user replaceable).

Seriously, they have dealt with thinness and not upgradability, and for this kind of laptop, that is the right thing to do.

I am sure the hdd and the battery can be replaced, but not without taking the thing apart. Just like with iPods.
  • Reply 5 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimUrban View Post

Sorry no removable battery. I suspect this is mainly because of size constraints, the battery looked like it took up half of the interior space and everything was right up against it.

I suppose apple will have some program for battery replacement or you can attempt it yourself.
  • Reply 6 of 111
    where can i get a magsafe adapter like that for my MBP! that would make my Power Support stand much nicer, and clear up some clutter.
  • Reply 7 of 111
    ... like a Frisbee?
  • Reply 8 of 111
    Pretty. Thin.
  • Reply 9 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Looks pretty nice. It would also be nice if the photographer can ease up a bit on the depth of field there. Maybe it's a bit much to ask if it's really as dark in there as those pictures make it look.
  • Reply 10 of 111
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Looks very 'iPod-like'. I'm sure that's not accidental.

• Reply 11 of 111
    Since it lacks a removable battery does that mean we'll have problems bringing it on an airplane?
  • Reply 12 of 111
    1. Clean your fingernails.

2. For focusing on the side of the Air...two words...MANUAL focus.
  • Reply 13 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Man, look at the beefy strain relief on the magsafe connector, not to mention the metal pin enclosure.

Looks like Apple has taken the durability problems with the current magsafe to heart. Bet the next iteration of the MacBook Pro will feature a variation on this design.
  • Reply 14 of 111
    why do they keep forgetting such a basic thing? memory card reader is really helpful nowadays.
  • Reply 15 of 111
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    There are a lot of things to not like about this computer. I think most people would be better off with a MacBook. If you travel a lot, this would be nice and light, but that's the only real advantage I see.
  • Reply 15 of 111
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Looks pretty nice. It would also be nice if the photographer can ease up a bit on the depth of field there. Maybe it's a bit much to ask if it's really as dark in there as those pictures make it look.

The monkey who is taking those photos needs a few lessons on photography. I've noticed the exact same crap being thrown at the AI readers on every article featuring "up-close" photos. You can see fine details in a narrow area and everything else is blurred. Amateur.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateScreenNames View Post

Since it lacks a removable battery does that mean we'll have problems bringing it on an airplane?

No, because most notebook batteries aren't big enough to cause problems under the new regulations. The battery here is 25% lower Wh capacity than the MBP.
  • Reply 18 of 111
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Is that a piece of clear tape over the "MacBook Air" name or is MacBook Air written on that peice of clear tape and attached to the computer, if so, looks kinda cheesy.

How constructionally sound is that little drop down door for the headphone jack, usb port, etc., I would hate to hear of that getting "bent" or snap off or what ever, like some people had done with there iPod shuffle clips attached to their belt and then went to sit down bending it out of shape.

Other than those observations, nicely done Apple. Can't wait to see it in person at the Apple Store for closer inspection.
  • Reply 19 of 111
    When is Apple going to figure out that elegant design does not need to take up so much real estate?

In order for this laptop to be adopted by a broad base of business users, the form factor should be about 1" smaller in both length and width. (A true sub laptop should be not much larger than a stack of 8 1/2 x 11 paper.) Should that mean shrinking the screen by half an inch, so be it, although I note that there is plenty of metal framing both the screen and the keyboard that looks wasted to me.

I don't get it: Apple was apparently happy to sacrifice all sorts of arguably important features (a real Ethernet receptacle, for instance, for those benighted countries and small towns in the world which do not have wireless broadband for the taking; i.e., most of them) in order to squeeze in a full size screen and a video camera. What is this supposed to be, a functional computer for traveling, or a really, really light, underpowered desktop replacement?

Seriously, folks, notwithstanding the nifty bells and whistles on this computer, it would simply hog too much space in my briefcase for me to replace my trusty old 12" PowerBook. The form factor is important enough to me that I will continue to lug my old brick around until Apple figures out that not all of its customers willing to pay top dollar are tech geeks, filmmakers, or design professionals.
  • Reply 20 of 111
    Now that the MacBook Air is released, it's the next MacBook Pro that will REALLY get me excited. Imagine what could be updated:

New, larger touchpad with gestures.

New keyboard to update with all other products.

New video card?

45nm processors?

Larger hard drives with SSD option?

Maybe even the option to ditch the optical drive for a 2nd HD? (Remote disk really proves we don't use DVD drives often anyway)

Blu-ray drives?

I can't sell my current 2nd gen MBP until they announce something new, so I'm itching for new MBPs!!!

*note: what I've said is a wishlist of what a new MBP would have, not a rumor or inklings of what is too come. Don't get your hopes up too high!*