OS X made my wallet bleed.....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just found out the receipt of the software that I bought in the last few months.....

Haven't upgraded my major apps for over 2 years......until recently because of OSX.......

Here's the breakdown

OSX - $168 CDN

Upgrade to Illustrator 10 - $200 CDN

Upgrade to Final Cut Pro 3 - $460 CDN

Upgrade to Cinema 4D XL 7 - $620 CDN

Upgrade to After Effects 5.5 Production Bundle- $400 CDN

Upgrade to Painter 7 - $300 CDN

Total Cost - $ 2138 CDN

If I include Photoshop 7 that I will be buying in March that will add another $300 CDN (I guess this is the price).....the total will go up to $2440 CDN (or 1570US)! Enough to buy a new entry level iMac! :eek:

Damn

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    hhoganhhogan Posts: 117member
    Why not get your s/w the easier way ?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I don't use most of those apps so i can only defend PS7, it will be an upgrade with more features. So if it was still for 9 only and you only used 9 and X didn't exist, wouldn't you still upgrade?

Then what's the big deal?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    If I decided to stick with OS 9 I wouldn't even bother upgrade ALL of these apps.

However OS 9 is no longer 'working' for me anymore.....

After Photoshop I will NOT buy any software for at least 18 months

• Reply 4 of 28
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]So if it was still for 9 only and you only used 9 and X didn't exist, wouldn't you still upgrade?<hr></blockquote>

NO. Tried Illustrator 10 and though I have to keep Classic on my machine I'll stick with Illustrator 8. Same with PS5.5 for now. Adobe doesn't get my $$$ until they have some better Q&A.

Macromedia will be the first to get my $$$ for Dreamweaver--if it doesn't suck.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    You still use PS 5.5?? Wow, &lt;cringe&gt; 6 is so much better. I can't even remember what 5.5 was like, lol. It really is worth getting unless money is an issue-then I'd wait for 7 which is even nicer.

Or check out an evaluation copy
  • Reply 6 of 28
    The difference between Photoshop 5.5 and 6 is almost night and day

However, there are not much difference between 6 and 7.

The difference I have noticed so far is:

1) OSX native

2) Spell checker

3) Much better layer handling

4) More 'advanced' brush control

5) Faster in general

6) F*cking stable

I don't know why Adobe would call it version 7 rather than 6.5. I guess they are doing this so that they can charge the same upgrade fee across the board.....

Anyway. Haven't really upgraded for many years and it's time to do it. Then I will skip version 8 unless something is really big

• Reply 7 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

[QB]I just found out the receipt of the software that I bought in the last few months.....<hr></blockquote>

Judging by your choice of software, though, you make your income working with it. Why complain about the tools you need to do your job? Aren't those tax-deductible in Canada?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Yeap. Software is 100% deductable

But this is me. Always whine until I get my money back
  • Reply 9 of 28

<strong>The difference between Photoshop 5.5 and 6 is almost night and day

However, there are not much difference between 6 and 7.

The difference I have noticed so far is:

1) OSX native

2) Spell checker

5) Faster in general

6) F*cking stable

I don't know why Adobe would call it version 7 rather than 6.5. I guess they are doing this so that they can charge the same upgrade fee across the board.....

Anyway. Haven't really upgraded for many years and it's time to do it. Then I will skip version 8 unless something is really big

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Stable? Well, 6 hasd crashed maybe once since it came out.

As for the what's new list for PS 7-

1) OSX native

2) Spell checker

-----

5) File Browser

6) Pattern Maker

7) Extract

8) New Blending Options

9) New Text features

10) Healing Tool

11) Patch Tool

12) ImageReady new version

13) Image- New Variables (Define & Data Sets)

14) Now more PS like with features and tools.

All I could find so far, but to me that sounds like a version 7 update and not just a 6.5. It's not a ploy, there are plenty of new tools, features, additions, not to mention a code re-write and it IS 2 apps afterall, don't forget about ImageReady. I didn't add it but your X native feature also means live image resizing and that is just plain fricking cool.
  • Reply 10 of 28

<strong>Yeap. Software is 100% deductable

But this is me. Always whine until I get my money back </strong><hr></blockquote>

Geez...so this whole F**king post is nothing more than you whining about how much you spent on upgrades..when you knew when you bought them how much you spent! Please..grow up.

You even have another thread on this subject...what..can't get enough whining in?

• Reply 11 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    That's nothing Leonis.

Go to even a small music studio and you'll see products that cost twice what an iMac costs for just a few functions. Graphics Arts is one of the few vertical markets that is somewhat affordable. I assume you could be pretty competent for 10k(Hardware, Software).
  • Reply 12 of 28
    bump
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Hey, who thinks Josey Wales is a troll? (raises hand)
  • Reply 14 of 28
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Hey, who thinks Josey Wales is a troll? (raises hand)</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, he's a troll's apprentice. He obviously can't troll properly... bumping your own trollish remark

Josey:When you graduate from Troll U. give us a ring, k?

Sorry to hear that you had to spend so much, Leonis. You'll make it back in spades, i'm sure.

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 28
    That another thread was posted by accident.....gotta delete that one
  • Reply 16 of 28
    I just realize I may need Norton System Works for X later when it comes out. But not in real big rush. Everytime when I have to use NSW to defrag the hard drives I still need to boot from CD anyway.....
  • Reply 17 of 28

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 28
    I just may have you beat, Leonis. I'm in the process of converting over my audio & midi recording studio from Windows to Mac. So I'm having to re-purchase all kinds of programs, and worse yet, most of them STILL aren't OSX versions, so I'll have to upgrade many of them again soon.

Programs like TC Spark, Sound Diver, Ableton Live, Reaktor, Logic, etc...
  • Reply 19 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Programs like TC Spark, Sound Diver, Ableton Live, Reaktor, Logic, etc...</strong><hr></blockquote>

How much do they usually cost?
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Those are anywhere between $150 and $450 each. Oh, and those are real dollars, not make-believe Canadian pretend money.