Handbrake problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm tring to encode Ratatouille to put on my daughter's iPod touch. Yes its a dvd that I bought and legally own.

I've tried several settings. The first was the iPhone preset. Then the high res iPod settings. None will work. When the the cd is insertedit takes a while for handbrake to read the dvd before adding it to the queue and then starting. Once started it finishes the encode in about one minute and says to put down the cocktail. However the mpeg4 file has no content. Just a black screen.

Any ideas. All my other dvd rips before and after have gone off without a hitch.

Ps the dvd plays fine in the computer. I can watch the movie with dvd player just fine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Handbrake's FAQ explains it. I tried the same thing with Ratatouille. It's on the list of movies known to have Macrovision's new copy protection scheme.

There are workarounds, but they seem like a real pain.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Thanks Jupiter.

The workarounds do seem to be a pain.

Oh well, that's one movie that won't make it to my daughter's iPod.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I have a very basic question, if I want to put a movie or TV program from a DVD I've purchased onto my iPod, can this be done directly from Handbreake or does the DVD have to be ripped first to eliminate the copy protection?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I'm not too sure about the new copy protection, but you could try using a free mac program called iSquint which is like the exact same as Handbrake pretty much. Try it, it works good on my computer and you can export to iPod, iPhone, iTV....

Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I have a very basic question, if I want to put a movie or TV program from a DVD I've purchased onto my iPod, can this be done directly from Handbreake or does the DVD have to be ripped first to eliminate the copy protection?

In handbrake the dvd is converted to a MPEG 4 file. I drag this into iTunes and then am able to sync with my iPod. It works well. I've never had to use MTR.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Better than 95% of my DVD's were ripped right from handbrake, no problems.

The few that didn't work, I ripped using MacTheRipper, then used Handbrake to re-encode the file MTR puts out.

I haven't tried Ratatouille...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Hmmm... I was able to Rip ratatouille. I think what I did was not to rip tracks 1-14 (or whatever the last one is numbered) but to rip from 2-14. Track one the entire length of the movie, while 2-14 add up to it. Try that maybe.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Hmmm... I was able to Rip ratatouille. I think what I did was not to rip tracks 1-14 (or whatever the last one is numbered) but to rip from 2-14. Track one the entire length of the movie, while 2-14 add up to it. Try that maybe.

Bob,

I'll try that. Nice suggestion.

Funny, of all the DVDs my kids have that's the one my daughter wants right now.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    I was able to rip Ratouille with Handbrake but the sound was off by two seconds for the first 45 minutes when playing it back. Also tried MactheRipper on two different Macs. on one it just crashed reading the DVD. On the other it recognized the new copy protection and couldn't rip it.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I used Handbrake to convert an episode of WKRP and transferred it to iTunes where it plays fine. However, I'm totally unable to get it onto my 80GB iPod Classic. It's an .mp4 file. Initially I got the error message "WKRP was not copied on the iPod because it cannot be played on this iPod". I cleaned up the file name and transferred it into iTunes again. This time no error message appeared when I synched the iPod, but the file isn't anywhere to be found on the iPod. Suggestions anyone.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    iTunes seems to be able to leverage any QT plugins you have so that it can play many different video types. The iPods/iPhone/AppleTV don't have access to those QT plugins though, and perhaps that's part of the reason they have such limited file-type abilities.

In addition to "mp4", it also has to have used the appropriate codec, an appropriate frame-rate and resolution and sample-rate to be able to play on the iPod.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Never mind, I solved my problem by reading the iTune's Help file. It's truly amazing what one learns by reading the documentation.