Trackpad gestures as a software update?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is the trackpad in the MacBook Air significantly different from the ones in the MB and MBP (apart from its size)?

Could we see the new trackpad gestures as an update in the next release of Leopard?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Has anyone else noticed the multi-touch inconsistencies between the iPhone and the MacBook Air?

When 'swiping' through photos on the iPhone, pictures are 'pushed' in the same direction you swipe. For example, swiping from the right to the left will push that picture to the left and the next picture will come in from the right. Makes sense to me.

On the MacBook Air, however, making this exact same gesture, from right to left, will show you the previous picture rather than the next picture. I could see this frustrating the hell out of me going from my iPhone to my computer and vise versa.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a human View Post

Is the trackpad in the MacBook Air significantly different from the ones in the MB and MBP (apart from its size)?

Could we see the new trackpad gestures as an update in the next release of Leopard?

I asked the same question in this thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

Has anyone else noticed the multi-touch inconsistencies between the iPhone and the MacBook Air?

When 'swiping' through photos on the iPhone, pictures are 'pushed' in the same direction you swipe. For example, swiping from the right to the left will push that picture to the left and the next picture will come in from the right. Makes sense to me.

On the MacBook Air, however, making this exact same gesture, from right to left, will show you the previous picture rather than the next picture. I could see this frustrating the hell out of me going from my iPhone to my computer and vise versa.

I didn't see this. Did you see this in the keynote or the Guided Tour? In the guided tour, the photos (iPhoto demo) don't move in and out of the screen, they just change from one photo to the next.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I didn't see this. Did you see this in the keynote or the Guided Tour? In the guided tour, the photos (iPhoto demo) don't move in and out of the screen, they just change from one photo to the next.

I watched it in the keynote and in the guided tour.

The pictures still seem to move opposite directions with the same gesture movement.

Hmm, am I the only one that sees this as counter intuitive?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    The trackpad on macbook and macbook pro seem different in the way they're built so I can't see them offering an update, the macbook and macbook pro only support 2 finger gestures.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

I noticed this while watching the keynote and thought exactly the same thing - that this was counter-intuitive. You push right, things should move right, not left.

Cheers
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt View Post

I noticed this while watching the keynote and thought exactly the same thing - that this was counter-intuitive. You push right, things should move right, not left.

Cheers

Nice, glad to hear someone else thinks the same way, maybe we'll a software option to switch the way this functions.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IAmMacUser View Post

The trackpad on macbook and macbook pro seem different in the way they're built so I can't see them offering an update, the macbook and macbook pro only support 2 finger gestures.

Yeah it's the same with the old powerbooks. They don't support some of the functions that are available on the Intel laptops leading users to promote an extra one finger gesture.

They'll be in the new lineup of MB and MBP in the coming months forcing users to buy a new one again.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    The gesture movement is part of the set developed by Fingerworks Link

Apple should add more since there is over 30.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They'll be in the new lineup of MB and MBP in the coming months forcing users to buy a new one again.

Agree

Titan10
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a human View Post

The iPhone uses an entirely different technology than previous trackpads. Most trackpads and touchscreens use "resistive" membranes. The multi-touch requires a "capacitive" membrane. More specifically, an NFI membrane and controller. I haven't looked in depth enough about the Air to determine what it has, but, basically, any touch device that can distinguish two, individual touches is using a capacitive technology.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah it's the same with the old powerbooks. They don't support some of the functions that are available on the Intel laptops leading users to promote an extra one finger gesture.

I love the drama in these statements as if Apple is holding you at gunpoint to go buy a new Mac. Get a grip.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I just wanted PINCH/Expand support for the Trackpad. Then challenge Apple to create an app on the iPhone it use it s a Bluetooth secondary TrackPad, so I can do presentations and surf the Net at a distance. Ain't that cool and useful ???. Go do it Apple, will gladly pay $20 for this app.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

basically, any touch device that can distinguish two, individual touches is using a capacitive technology.

The MBA doesn't seem to do any more than a normal trackpad. The rotate motion is just scrolling in a circle and the zoom is again just a variant of a scroll. I'm sure they could emulate at least some of the multi-touch functions on normal trackpads.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

I love the drama in these statements as if Apple is holding you at gunpoint to go buy a new Mac.

In order to get the functionality, you have to buy a new Mac. It's the same with software updates. In order to use iwork 08, I have to upgrade to Quicktime 7.3 or something. Ok, I don't have to but then I can't use iwork. I had to upgrade to 10.4.8 to use my Apple keyboard. Ok I didn't have to and indeed it was sitting in the cupboard for a couple of months until I realised, no wait I do *have* to upgrade or I can't use the thing ever because Apple refuse to support older software and hardware. Constant upgrades no matter how small, as long as they are essential keep the money rolling in.

You might think software updates are free so it's not a problem. Nope, what about all the 10.3 owners. They cannot use Apple's hardware until they buy either Tiger or Leopard. Then Jobs stands up on stage all proud that there are so many Tiger and Leopard users. Well, duh.

Even if they could upgrade older laptops to perform even some of the multi-touch actions, Apple won't do it. Someone has even made a 3rd party driver for the powerbooks that Apple refuse to add 2-finger scrolling to:

http://iscroll2.sourceforge.net/

The ipod touch update. Have people figured out why this wasn't free yet?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Has anyone else noticed that when you try to scroll with three fingers on a MacBook is just won't work, so that means that a normal MacBook trackpad knows when there are two fingers on the trackpad and when there are three fingers on the trackpad
  • Reply 14 of 15
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Trackpad guestures should be an update for all machines that have two finger scolling.

the only reason Apple will not do this is to force a limitation on current users just to have one more reason to "UPGRADE" and fork over your hard earned cash.

The hardware is already there. It is a matter of a software install. Apple could and should include it as a software update.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Trackpad guestures should be an update for all machines that have two finger scolling.

the only reason Apple will not do this is to force a limitation on current users just to have one more reason to "UPGRADE" and fork over your hard earned cash.

The hardware is already there. It is a matter of a software install. Apple could and should include it as a software update.

Wasn't it confirmed the new gesture trackpads have a corresponding new chip?

I don't think it's technically possible on the old trackpads.

Yup, looks like I'm correct.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/02/15/...o-macbook-air/