Archiving messages in Mail????

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have only managed to find a FileMaker solution called "eMessage Archiver 3.04" but does not seem to work.

Any suggestions?????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I have no suggestions, but have a look at the .mbox files in, say, BBedit. It shouldn't be too difficult a task to create a FileMaker solution for archiving Mail.app messages. I might have a go at that soon enough.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Hi Pegges:

Thx for the response. I did give it a try and this is what bbedit shows when i open an imapmbox:

Sware.imapmbox:

\tCachedData1

\tCachedMessages:

\t\t1

\t\t10

\t\t2

\t\t3

\t\t4

\t\t5

\t\t6

\t\t7

\t\t8

\t\t9

\tInfo.plist

\tmbox.SKindex

which don't necessarily mean much to me.

I am an above average user of FMpro and if you are interested I would be happy to collaborate on a solution.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    What are you trying to accomplish exactly? I might be able to render some assitance in terms of making your Mail.app Mbox files compatible with other apps, but not sure what you're trying to do / why.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Can't you just use "Save As..." to create an .rtf document ?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Thx for the suggestion.

Although it sounds like a painful, one by one process, I gave it a shot. It seems to work fine with text only messages and htmls.

The rdf does show pdf as thumbnails but could not open it successfully and attached jpeg images did not appear at all.

Still wishing for a more automated solution
  • Reply 6 of 9
    HiMoogs ?:

Everytime I re-install the OS or switch computers the messages that are cached in my drive in some library folder or another tend to get lost, trashed or somehow slip from my hands because there is a new app or new format, etc.

Ideally, I would like to archive (preferably in to a filemaker solution and delete my messages from my various but limited capacity mailboxes and keep them clear and at the same time have access to my archived messages at alll times. Make sense to you?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by borazan:

<strong>HiMoogs ?:

Everytime I re-install the OS or switch computers the messages that are cached in my drive in some library folder or another tend to get lost, trashed or somehow slip from my hands because there is a new app or new format, etc.

Ideally, I would like to archive (preferably in to a filemaker solution and delete my messages from my various but limited capacity mailboxes and keep them clear and at the same time have access to my archived messages at alll times. Make sense to you?</strong><hr></blockquote>

We think alike. I've poked at different ways to do this without success. The problem for me is that everything requires a couple extra steps and after a while I get too lazy to do them and the whole system falls apart.

It would be nice if the email client could add buttons to which I could attach apple scripts that would automatically export the message, attachments and all, to FMP.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I found a way!

Highlight all the emails that you want to archive and than save the file as RTF file.

All emails will be saved into one single file
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Hi Leonis:

When you do that you get a file listing the headers of each message bbut not the body or the attachments. Plus, even if it worked it defies the purpose of archiving in an accessable and editable format.