Four-page Macworld 2008 photo gallery

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With Macworld Expo 2008 officially winding down today, AppleInsider is wrapping up its coverage of the conference with this four-page photo gallery from the show floor.

Starting Monday, AppleInsider will return to its regular publishing schedule. In the meantime, readers interested in reviewing the week's Apple and third-party announcements can turn to our Macworld Expo topics page, which also includes several in-depth first-looks and earlier photo galleries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Excellent photos, thanks for posting.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Hey wasn't HP suppose to introduce some revolutionary printer? Did I miss it?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Hey wasn't HP suppose to introduce some revolutionary printer? Did I miss it?

It wasn't claimed to be revolutionary, it was just a high end consumer printer that used some of their pro inks.

The AI forum post is a huge empty space. Can't that be cleaned up? It seems like the posting system puts in space wherever there should have been a picture. You have to go to the end of the page or hold down Page Down to get to the replies.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I would have like to see a few lines of text under each picture, with a bit about what each of these companies were showing off or had that was new and exciting.

Skip
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Great Pictures. It's cool to see the booths as it's something I would probably never attend in person.

Disturbing how many obese people are meandering about.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It wasn't claimed to be revolutionary, it was just a high end consumer printer that used some of their pro inks.

Yep your right AI said it was going to be a "breakthrough" not revolutionary. Poor recollection on my part. Would you happen to know the model number? I checked HP's site and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

--Dave
  • Reply 7 of 18
    cjdacjda Posts: 1member
    Ha! I think the photo of the Quark booth is funny. One little tiny booth, empty. No one working it or no one looking at it.

cjda
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjda View Post

Ha! I think the photo of the Quark booth is funny. One little tiny booth, empty. No one working it or no one looking at it.

cjda

LOL, the few times I went by the booth it was pretty much empty. My friend was amused that they used some real company's bike part images (which he recognized) as a demo for a fake company and project.

But at least they have a unique logo now.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Since everyone's saying it I'm sure that no one will buy one of those Air's...

But I'll tell you what, I'd buy one over a MacBook in one second flat, and possibly over a MBP unless I truly needed all the horsepower.

That sucker right there is sculpture. Living, breathing sculpture. And if I'm going to be looking at a laptop for hours a day for years on end... I'll happily, happily pay an extra $400 or so for the privilege of the spiritual edification.

I think <i>everybody</i> is going to end up being really, really wrong.

And just wait until the design cues seep up and down to MB and MBP. SHAZAM, that'll be hot!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

That sucker right there is sculpture. Living, breathing sculpture.

So was the Cube.

Quote:

I'll happily, happily pay an extra $400 or so for the privilege of the spiritual edification.

Good for you. I hope you will like it.

Quote:

I think <i>everybody</i> is going to end up being really, really wrong.

Nope. The MBA will suck. Big time...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

So was the Cube.

Yeah, but who wants a cube? Seriously. A cube is just about the most boring shape there is. Did the ancient Egyptians build giant cubes? Do modern Americans (SJ excepted) build cubes for anything but dice? Does anyone commission cubes (again, SJ excluded) to be put anywhere for any reason? Nope.

But the Air is svelte. It's fun. You want to touch it. You want to lift it, open it, play with it. It's exciting.

This is no cube, not design-wise. That's for sure. I believe it will do quite well.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I think it will do quite well, Apple have learned from the Cube mistake.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Yep your right AI said it was going to be a "breakthrough" not revolutionary. Poor recollection on my part. Would you happen to know the model number? I checked HP's site and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

--Dave

Then it was my misremembering, I didn't remember AI called it revolutionary, but I did remember that the description was evolutionary.

I have no idea on what the model is or would have been. HP's site does not make it easy to find the press releases and stuff like that.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I was at the MacWorld Expo today. The pictures in this article are exclusively from the main Moscone South hall. There were many companies over at the Moscone West building just kitty-corner from the south hall.

Here are a few things that I found out while at the show:

TechSmith, makers of Camtasia Studio will be introducing a like product for the Mac. Camtasia is used by many PC companies to do video screen capture demos of their products. TechSmith also makes Snagit for the PC, a cool screen capture program for the PC. Forgot to ask if they were going to make a Mac version of Snagit.

Ambrosia software was there. The fellow I talked to said they are working on a new version of Snapz Pro that would compete with TechSmitsh Camtasia Studio. He said that they would try to make it better that Camtasia. Time will tell.

RouteBuddy 2.0 will let us Mac folk have our very own version of a Microsoft Streets and Trips. The software will even download GPS info from personal GPS devices and stores them so you can look at the info later and plot it. It will even show you altitude of the locations recorded. If you have the Streets and Trips GPS device, RouteBuddy should be able to recognize and use it. Cool.

Saw the MacBook Air. Very cool. This thing has the best viewing angles of any LCD screen that I have ever seen. The Apple tech pointed this out. Very light, but very sturdy at the same time. The keyboard is very nice.

Avery labels has a neat app coming out that will allow you to create labels from your address book entries. The software may be free, the reps where not entirely sure which way the company wanted to go. I told them to do like the printer companies, give away the printers and make it up in the consumables.

Saw a demo of Quicken. Looks very nice. Uses the nice features of Leopard (coverflow). Has a lot more features now. Looks like their finally catching the Mac version up to the Windows version.

VMware will have a version 1.1.1 out very soon.

Saw the new Microsoft Office. Very nice. Problaly a little too much over the top with feactures, but everything you?d probably ever need.

MacSpeech looked very nice. Bought a copy (only thing I bought at the show).

Was at the Canon both. In the video area there were 3 monitors showing an unbelievably crisp video. I was sure it was from one of the higher end cameras. When I asked about it, the both rep said it was one of the new consumer cameras. The camera was the Vixia HF10. Shoots full 1920X1080 and uses 16GB or flash memory. You can ad SCD cards to move files or use as additional storage space. Very nice. The video was incredible and the colors where really nice and accurate.

Saw the new 8 core MacPro. The Apple tech ran it through its paces. Mainly Final Cut and Modo demos. Was impressed how these apps used all the processors evenly. All 8 were maxed out at times, but the machine didn?t miss beat playing 5 1920X1080 videos on one the second 30 in monitor.

When I was leaving I ran into Andy Ihnatko who writes for MacWorld. Got to chat with him for few seconds.

Was there for 4 hours and still need about 3 more hours to view everything.

iMac were the most prevalent machines at the show. Saw a few MacBook Pro?s manly at the smaller company boths. The good news is that the Mac seems to be taken seriously and now many PC software companies are making software for us. I think the switch to the Intel CPU?s was the turning point for the Mac. Many of the companies brining PC software to the Mac said that the Intel CPU?s make it very easy to convert over. Andy Ihnatko agreed with me on that point.

Great show really enjoyed it. This was first MacWorld I?ver been to in 16 years. I attend the first MacWorld back in 1985. Then it was at brooks hall, and not all that big. Very happy to see Apples? progress, and that their moving in the right direction.

Scott
  • Reply 15 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Well, the close-ups of the bottom of the Air lend credence to the adjacent story on the AI front page: that replacing the battery involves nothing more than removing a number of small phillips head screws.

There are indeed a number of small phillips screws down there, and they appear to be holding on the bottom of the case.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Cheers for that Scott. Well written with good insights. Did you have a go on the MacBook Air? If so, did it perform well?

Stevo, UK

Powderdust
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Me wants dat big curved monitor... could help turn za living room into a model of the Enterprise bridge..
  • Reply 18 of 18
    mind blowing high resolution pictures to which no other website can match. good work AppleInsider.

Sachin Dhall