Target Mode between Intel and PPC machines?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have Leopard on a 2.2 Ghz Intel MacBook, and Tiger on a G4 1.25 Ghz PPC Dual Mirrored Doors tower.

Target Mode doesn't seem to work. (Wanted the G4 to show up in the MacBook FInder)

Someone told me it would work. I'm double-checking because maybe this is a cable problem.

Any perspectives on this would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hoowah View Post

I have Leopard on a 2.2 Ghz Intel MacBook, and Tiger on a G4 1.25 Ghz PPC Dual Mirrored Doors tower.

Target Mode doesn't seem to work. (Wanted the G4 to show up in the MacBook FInder)

Someone told me it would work. I'm double-checking because maybe this is a cable problem.

Any perspectives on this would be really appreciated.

Hmm, not already tried it (and I am afraid I will soon do) but from what others say, it is better to do a manual data and settings migration between PPC and Intel Macs. Though it should work, there is anecdotal evidence that for not apparent reason it may not work as advertised or lead to strange problems later. I am equally interested in hearing what the others here have to say.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    One other thing:

I didn't try this with a crossover cable. Just a CAT 6 cable.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Hmm, not already tried it (and I am afraid I will soon do) but from what others say, it is better to do a manual data and settings migration between PPC and Intel Macs. Though it should work, there is anecdotal evidence that for not apparent reason it may not work as advertised or lead to strange problems later. I am equally interested in hearing what the others here have to say.

I read about the "manual data and settings migration" too, but it said to use target mode to do that, just dont use the Migration Assistant to do it automatically.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I read about the "manual data and settings migration" too, but it said to use target mode to do that, just dont use the Migration Assistant to do it automatically.

Sure, your problem is more fundamental, but it would be nice to see some opinions and experience from others on any aspect of this kind of migration.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

One other thing:

I didn't try this with a crossover cable. Just a CAT 6 cable.

Target Disk Mode requires a Firewire cable, not an Ethernet cable.