Apple introduces pink iPod nano ahead of Valentine's Day

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple said Tuesday that it has added a new pink iPod nano to its lineup of digital media players just in time for next month's celebration of love.

The much-requested pink iPod nano is available immediately in an 8GB model for $199 and features a two-inch display which lets users watch movie rentals, TV shows and music videos purchased from the iTunes Store.

All of Apple's current third-generation iPod nanos delivers up to 24 hours of audio playback or five hours of video playback on a single charge and is encased in an all-metal design made with anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel, which is also available in silver, black, blue, green and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition.

"Customers are going to love the gorgeous new pink iPod nano," said Greg Joswiak, Apple?s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "The pink iPod nano is perfect for people who want a great new color this spring, or who are searching for a special Valentine?s Day gift."

All third-generation iPod nanos features an enhanced user interface that shows off album artwork and photos and includes Cover Flow, so customers can scroll through their entire music collection by album cover artwork using the Click Wheel. Customers can also buy music, video and games for their iPod nano from the iTunes Store or check out the latest iTunes Movie Rentals.

Pricing & Availability

The new pink 8GB iPod nano is available worldwide immediately for a suggested retail price of $199 (US) and joins the other 8GB models available in silver, black, blue, green and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition.

The 4GB iPod nano in silver is available for a suggested retail price of $149 (US). Both the 4GB and 8GB iPod nano for Windows or Mac are available through the Apple Store, Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. All iPod nano models include earbud headphones, a USB to 30-pin cable and a Universal Dock Connector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Hope the screen isn't tilted...
  • Reply 2 of 21
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    We / some now have a Pink one - when are the rest of us, going to get the ??? (i say physodelic colors - maybe something from Peter Max) - colored one, with the Beatles music pre-loaded on it?

Skip
  • Reply 3 of 21
    As long as they don't release a Hello Kitty version...
  • Reply 4 of 21
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Actually, though...

If they would sell, why not? The Nano could become like the lunchbox of the 70s. Every schoolkid has one (or more) and they are personalized to their interests. Then they will become collectors items. People will buy them and keep them in their packaging. Apple will laugh all the way to the bank!

On second thought, I guess that will have to be the iPhone Nano, as I figure the stand alone MP3 player is a dead end street these days...
  • Reply 5 of 21
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I knew it! One day when I was on my way home, I look up at the billboard while waiting for the train and it hit me. No not the train. It was an advertisement for the Avon Walkathons that are coming up. In the billboard were thousands of ladies all wearing their pink Avon Walkathon shirts. And that's when I thought... "Apple could seriously capitalize on this market" and this was before the lady from Avon came on the Apple board of directors.

Apple is has a whole new crowd of users they will market the iPod too.

Mark my words, you heard it here first.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

No need. There are already hundreds of 'skins' for nano.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think the same argument should have been made for all the novelty colors Apple has been selling.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Some people don't like the skins
  • Reply 9 of 21
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    As gimickey as this seems I may get one of these for my girlfriend.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    "The pink iPod nano is perfect for people who want a great new color this spring, or who are searching for a special Valentine?s Day gift."

"People?"

Reword as:

"The pink iPod nano is perfect for gals who want a great new color this spring, or for guys who are searching for a special Valentine?s Day gift."
  • Reply 11 of 21
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

just in time for next month's celebration of love.

Don't you mean for next month's awareness of being single?

• Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

Don't you mean for next month's awareness of being single?

Or "Next month's 'holiday' perpetuated by the greeting card industry"
  • Reply 13 of 21
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"The pink iPod nano is perfect for people who want a great new color this spring, or who are searching for a special Valentine?s Day gift."

"People?"

Reword as:

"The pink iPod nano is perfect for gals who want a great new color this spring, or for guys who are searching for a special Valentine?s Day gift."

Why be more specific than necessary?

Especially if it may make it less true.

Your usless rewording would exclude:

**a parent buying for a kid.

**a child buying for a parent

**a girl buying for another girl

All of which are probably going to happen by the thousands.

And why does it matter to you anyway if a guy wants this color? Are you so insecure that you care...?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    … or as a marketing tool for Breast Cancer awareness - BIG, BIG, REAL BIG!!!

It WILL be an incentive for folks who bring in the most pledges for any of the MANY Cancer walks that go on around the country.

Hell, how about ALL of those lucky enough to have survived Breast Cancer so for What a nice gift from a loved one, with the back engraved:

"To the world's Greatest Mom"

" To my Loving Wife"

"I Survived Breat Cancer"!

I wonder how long before Avon is selling them with a portion of the proceeds going to Cancer Research!

Skip
  • Reply 15 of 21
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

? or as a marketing tool for Breast Cancer awareness - BIG, BIG, REAL BIG!!!

It WILL be an incentive for folks who bring in the most pledges for any of the MANY Cancer walks that go on around the country.

Hell, how about ALL of those lucky enough to have survived Breast Cancer so for What a nice gift from a loved one, with the back engraved:

"To the world's Greatest Mom"

" To my Loving Wife"

"I Survived Breat Cancer"!

I wonder how long before Avon is selling them with a portion of the proceeds going to Cancer Research!

Skip

Which is sponsored by who? Read my post above
  • Reply 16 of 21
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"People?"

Reword as:

what's wrong with a guy who wants a pink iPod?

and this isn't really a novelty color.... the original iPod mini was sold in pink from the beginning.

But there are a lot of colors out there now... But lots of people I see toting silver. Whatevs. I love color.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

what's wrong with a guy who wants a pink iPod?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

And why does it matter to you anyway if a guy wants this color? Are you so insecure that you care...?

Real Men Wear Pink!

• Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Real Men Wear Pink!

I think this one is better.

http://www.wackyplanet.com/go-ahead-and-laugh.html
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Back in the Victorian days Pink was a man/boys colour, and prior to the laws against homosexuality, straight soldiers on leave were often to be seen walking arm in arm.

They didn't want to be wrongly accused of breaking the law, so, once the law was in effect, the "completely normal" practice of male friends walking arm in arm was quickly dropped.

After years of this "fear" permeating through society we all "feel" that men walking arm in arm is "wrong" and that Pink is only for girls.

Aren't social norms funny things, and don't you show the prejudices you were brought up with when you keep repeating them.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    What color are baby boys often dressed in?

Isn't it pink?

Pink is a fine color for a guy to wear.