First HDD-based MacBook Air reviews hit the wires

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has seeded journalists at three of the nation's most widespread publications -- The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Newsweek -- with early MacBook Air review units. The first reviews from these publications began cropping up earlier this morning. A detailed summary of each review, and some observations, follow.

On average, the reviews are vague and offer little substance that couldn't be garnered from a press release or quick stroll by Apple's booth at last week's Macworld Expo. In addition, it appears that all three reviews pertain to the bare-bones entry level MacBook Air configuration with a 1.6GHz processor and 80GB hard drive. The high-end model with a solid-state drive was not reviewed.

Of the three, AppleInsider found Ed Baig's review for USA Today to be most informative, as he included a couple of fresh tidbits on the Air's design from conversations with Steve Jobs and made other unique observations. Here's an overview of the three reviews:

Wall Street Journal

"Apple finally has entered the subnotebook market, introducing a lightweight laptop meant to please road warriors. But, typical of Apple, the company took a different approach from its competitors," wrote the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg. "The result is a beautiful, amazingly thin computer, but one whose unusual trade-offs may turn off some frequent travelers."

Pros:

"It's impossible to convey in words just how pleasing and surprising this computer feels in the hand.""The MacBook Air's screen and keyboard were a pleasure to use.""The machine felt speedy, even with multiple programs running."Mossberg was able to install and run Windows just fine via Parallels virtualization software on his test unit, though he did not specify whether that test unit was a 1.6GHz or 1.8GHz model.Apple's "clever" Remote Disc software for wirelessly sharing another Mac or PC's optical drive worked fine in Mossberg's tests, in which he installed several new programs from CDs on remote computers."

Cons:

However, Remote Disc "requires disabling third-party firewalls on Windows machines. It also doesn't work for installing Windows on your Mac, for watching DVDs, or for playing or importing music." For those tasks, you need Apple's $99 MacBook Air external SuperDrive.The sealed-in battery means you can't carry a spare in case you run out of juice, and you have to bring it to a dealer when you need a new one.The thin case can't accommodate a larger internal hard disk. And the machine omits many common ports and connectors.There's no Ethernet jack for wired broadband Internet connections and no dedicated slot for the most common types of external cellphone modems." So, "[i]f you're out of Wi-Fi range, you're out of luck, unless you buy an optional, $30 add-on Ethernet connector or a cellphone modem that connects via USB."

That single USB port is a problem, because so many peripherals use USB. You can buy a tiny, cheap USB hub that adds three more ports, but that's yet another item to carry.Battery life failed to live up to Apple's claims, coming in at just 3 hours, 24 minutes when Mossberg disabled "all power-saving features, set the screen brightness at maximum, turn on the Wi-Fi and" played an endless loop of music.Because of the Air's larger screen height, "the lid stands higher when opened than on most other subnotebooks. So it isn't as usable as some competitors when the seat in front of you in coach on a plane is reclined."

USA Today

"The MacBook Air laptop that CEO Steve Jobs unveiled last week turns heads. And now that I've used this Twiggy-thin, 3-pound marvel for several days, I can also report that it's a remarkably sturdy-feeling machine, especially given its size and weight," the USA Today's Ed Baig wrote after toying with his 1.6GHz loaner. "The skinny -- the word can't be emphasized enough -- $1,799 (and up) computer will make students and frequent business travelers gush."

Pros:

"The wide, backlit LED screen is lovely.""[I]t is a yummy machine for people who spend a lot of time traveling.""The keyboard keys light up the dark Â? there's a built-in ambient light sensor."Spacious multi-touch trackpad.

Cons:

"Air does not come with the built-in ability to connect to a speedy wireless data network run by various cellular carriers. Jobs told me last week that Apple considered it but that adding the capability would take up room and restrict consumers to a particular carrier.""With too few ports, a sealed battery that you can't replace on your own and no built-in CD/DVD drive, Air is not the ideal laptop for everyone.""The 80 GB hard drive isn't generous by today's standards.I ran into initial snags trying to remotely install software from the DVD drive in a Dell PC, until tweaking settings in Windows.Baig rented The Cooler from iTunes as part of his test process, but on playback, the film "occasionally hiccuped" as he watched it on the Air.The MacBook Air's $99 external SuperDrive is "awkward to use" sitting in coach on an airplane.[T]here's no FireWire connector for folks wanting to hook up digital camcorders, or ethernet jack for tapping into the Internet when Wi-Fi is unavailable or poky."Battery life came in at 3 hours 40 minutes as Baig surfed the Web, used Remote Disc and wrote. However, "he battery died an hour sooner when he watched The Cooler, but he did make it through the movie.

Newsweek

"Certainly Apple has fulfilled its goals in terms of thinness. The Air is a lithe sheath of aluminum so slim that it can slide under my office door," wrote Newsweek's Steven Levy.Â*"Packed inside the shell -- which is three quarters of an inch at its thickest point, trailing off to a wispy 0.16 inches -- is two gigabytes of memory, a bright 13.3-inch screen (lit by cutting-edge LED technology) and a full-size keyboard. This is a top-of-the-line array for a subnotebook."

Pros:

"Did I mention that it's really skinny."Multi-touch trackpad."The Air doesn't run as hot as Apple's other laptops--it's actually possible to work for an hour with the device on your lap without the feeling that your fertility is at stake."

"Its diminutive dimensions pretty much evaporate the eternal quandary of whether or not to take your computer along with you.The Air includes "an excellent keyboard with its great automatic backlighting feature."It's got a built-in video camera for conferencing."The screen is big for a subnotebook, and quite bright.""Battery life is quite acceptable--I didn't have time for a definitive study but was getting only slightly less than the five hours per charge that Apple promises.

Cons:

Many people will likely have to pay $29 for a "dongle" that plugs into the USB port to allow the Air to be plugged into Ethernet."There's no slot to plug an EVDO card for cellular broadband, so if you want that, you must use a different USB dongle connecting to a card for that purpose."No Firewire port either."A USB hub will be required for most people, but at the expense of "spoiling the Air's sleek figure."Non user-replacable battery.Remote Disc is tricky and not as effective as the physical drive it aims to replace.80GB standard hard drive too small -- "Apple insists that if it used the 160-gig hard disk drive it offers in its high-end iPod classic, it would blow the profile of the MacBook Air."The MacBook Air's omissions "are troubling -- especially to someone in a down-turning economy deciding whether to spend a premium sum for a computer with subpremium storage."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 133
    I find the list of cons from each of the reviewers just plain silly. The Air is not meant to be your one and only computer. If you need huge storage, or want to watch movies on it, or import CDs, etc...this is not the computer for you. I thought this stuff was just too obvious to appear on "CONS" lists. This is made to be extremely portable. This laptop has only what you really need - and not everything you could possibly want. If you want to take some music with you, move some on from your other computer. If you want to bring a movie to watch, move on a digital version from your other computer. If you want to have more storage space, firewire, several USB attachments, DVD burning, yada yada...get a laptop that's more appropriate, like a MacBook Pro. Or even a MacBook. That's what they're for. Putting these things on a list of shortcomings doesn't make sense. It doesn't have a retinal scanner either...they forgot to add that to the cons list.
  • Reply 2 of 133
    my 2 cents for MBA:

1. I am not all that hot for the design of the MBA, contrary to many. Other than it being really thin, I don't find it all that pretty or good looking. I still like the design of MBP more.

2. I am not so sure about using 1.8 inch HD. Didn't Apple tell people that using iPod as a HD for computer is not really a good idea and it may damage the HD down the road?

3. If Apple is billing the computer as wireless centric notebook, I find it confusing that MBA does not have Express 34 slot to put 3G cards in. Maybe there are USB-based 3G modems, but I haven't seen one.

4. Since Apple wants you to buy music through iTunes, not being able to import music remotely kinda makes sense.

5. I honestly don't know who will be up for purchasing this notebook. For about $500 less you can buy a faster computer (Macbook). what you get for $500 more is aluminum casing and 2lbs less. If you find 2lbs extra that troublesome, you need to spend $500 for gym membership, not for purchasing MBA.
  • Reply 3 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

3. If Apple is billing the computer as wireless centric notebook, I find it confusing that MBA does not have Express 34 slot to put 3G cards in. Maybe there are USB-based 3G modems, but I haven't seen one.

USB cards are out for most. Otherwise, there isn't a solution for Macbook users... and there are.
  • Reply 4 of 133
    I think one of the hard things to get around for people who have been in the "computer" industry ( users and work related ) is that ...... there are no more rules ! The notion that the writers " cons" are not applicable does not and will no longer apply in the future that is coming.

You might ask, what do I mean by this. Well, looking at the year 2003, one may have argued that the smart phones are supposed to be big so they can do all they can do and they are only meant for the "buisness people" , so the average celphone user should not point out those flaws of weight, price and size. Fast forward to 2007, and everyone wants a smart phone like an iPhone ! There is no reason why one should have or use a smart phone vs. why one should not . The idea that the smart phone is only for business people is dead . Mothers, fathers and bratty kids all want a smart phone ( like the iPhone ) .

So, here we are with the MacBook Air . It is the first generation of the "air" family in Apple portables, but note that just because it is a sub-note book does not mean it is only for people on the go ! And yes, it can be owned by every one and it can be the only computer a person has. The perceptions that this is a device for the few does not and will not apply with each passing day . That argument is as old as the PowerBook 100 ( I have one and love it !!!! ) Welcome to tomorrow today . Apple always does it , it is nothing new. All laptops will be sub note books in the future and most of them should have a nice big screen and comfortable keyboard to type on !
  • Reply 5 of 133
    I know it's got that "Wow" factor in the form of ultra-thinness, but overall I think the cons far outweigh the pros.

Extremely limited storage, lack of ports, no optical drive making you dependent on another computer (what if you're away from your "home" computer but you need to load something to the MBA? No computers around you have the wireless drive feature installed? man you're screwed), non-removable battery, etc etc.

But hey you DO get backlit keys, right? And for all these lacking features, Apple wants you to pay $500+ more than a more capable (and same footprint) MacBook? Me thinks not.

Seriously, as someone pointed out above, if you can't stand the extra 2lbs, $500 for a gym membership ain't that bad an idea. And crap, if you spend just $200 more, you can have a MBP, with all the bonuses of the MBA (casing, keys, etc), and none of the drawbacks (save for 1.2 pounds or so).

It's nothing more than a status symbol. Serious people are going to opt for the MBA, and price-conscious consumers are going to opt for the MacBook. People worried about their status are going to opt for the MBA.

That's the breakdown.
  • Reply 6 of 133
    I am really surprised at all the negative reviews. This is a computer that is designed to be used wirelessly in every sense of the word. It is also not intended to be the user's main computer but a trusty sidekick. If I were to purchase a MacBook Air, I would love it. My job requires me to carry a lot of stuff onto the airplane. Saving a couple pounds and still being able to get all my work done is great.

Let's see about all those "negative" comments. If I were to use my MacBook Air at home I could: connect to my network using my AirPort Extreme, use my G5s DVD, connect to the internet, print wirelessly, video conference with the built-in iSight, stream music and video to my AppleTV without ever using ANY USB connections. I would most likely want to purchase the External SuperDrive because I need to burn DVDs on the road from time to time. I can plug in a USB powered hard drive to back-up the internal drive.

Is this computer for everyone? No! Especially if it is going to be your only computer. This is for road warriors who need a high performance computer without all the weight. You can always buy the ethernet USB cable. I find it laughable people make this an issue. Remember when people griped when Apple started leaving out modems in their laptops? When was the last time you used a dial-up connection? It has been 3 years for me. I also bring my Airport Express with me when traveling to create my own wireless network in my hotel room. The only REAL omission is the lack of a Firewire port. That may be a deal breaker for some. You can load it with movies and music using iTunes as well.

I just watched The Today Show on NBC and they all went crazy over it! They each commented that because the computer is so small and light, they would more likely bring it with them when traveling. They said they could video chat with loved ones when on the road.
  • Reply 7 of 133
    and I know people are going to say "ultra-portable! Ultra-portable!" but the thing is, to make it comparable to any of their other offerings, you have to buy the peripherals (DVD drive, usb adapters) which is MORE $$$, and then you have to carry that stuff around, completely negating the ONE BENEFIT of the MBA, size & weight, as now you're carrying around the computer, and all the peripherals that would have otherwise been built in.
  • Reply 8 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhotoMacUser View Post

Let's see about all those "negative" comments. If I were to use my MacBook Air at home I could: connect to my network using my AirPort Extreme, use my G5s DVD, connect to the internet, print wirelessly, video conference with the built-in iSight, stream music and video to my AppleTV without ever using ANY USB connections. I would most likely want to purchase the External SuperDrive because I need to burn DVDs on the road from time to time. I can plug in a USB powered hard drive to back-up the internal drive.

Why would you be buying a MBA with woeful specs and a heavier price tag compared to a macbook for a home laptop? BTW, once you purchase the external super dirve, the weight of that and the MBA puts you less than 1lb lighter than a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 9 of 133
    Sounds like an endless money pit if used as your only computer.

It would appeal to me if I were rich enough to afford this and a nice iMac or Mac Pro.
  • Reply 10 of 133
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I think a lot of people admire the Air. I know I do. My real opinion on is that it's the sort of machine I'd love to see other people using, but not me.

It's an amazing effort and has appeal, but if I go for something a just bit thicker, all the sacrifices the Air makes disappear. I guess I'm not the target for it and that's fine. I wish it well and in time we'll see if people really go for this.

On a tangent, I disagree with those who rationalize the difficulty some reviewers express in getting their content (music/movies/whatever) into this thing. This is still a computer. It chould do basic computer tasks. Rationalizing that "Apple wants you to buy your <insert media type here> at the iTMS" is a weak defense of the shortcomings here. People have existing content and/or CDs (CDs especially since they are so easy and cheap to acquire used). If you're happy to see every new machine or device they release become more difficult to use with your existing media then there's a problem. Apple's traditionally attracted people by being *easier* to use and work with than any other options. Problems noted in this regard by reveiewers are things that *need* to be fixed, not rationalized away.
  • Reply 11 of 133
    I agree with the first replier, to me the cons rules is ridiculous. If this is going to be your one and only computer, then this is not for you. Invest in either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. I see the Mac Book Air, as of now, as a laptop for people on the go. And when you're on the go, you don't need an optical drive, you don't need four USB slots, the Ethernet is debatable, but the amount of places that have wireless now is making Ethernet obsolete. The only real con that I see is the battery. All you really need with the MacBook Air is a case and a thumb drive and you are good to go.

The cons outweighting the pros doesn't suprise. Whenever Apple comes out with something they always have to tear it down first, and then in a couple of months they have to admit how wonderful it was.
  • Reply 12 of 133
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Battery life failed to live up to Apple's claims, coming in at just 3 hours, 24 minutes when Mossberg disabled "all power-saving features, set the screen brightness at maximum, turn on the Wi-Fi and" played an endless loop of music.

The battery life looks disappointing, but turning off all power saving measures and running the screen at max brightness is a bit much.
  • Reply 13 of 133
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    What about something like this but from Apple?

OQQ model e2

http://www.oqo.com/intl
  • Reply 14 of 133
    I see this laptop as a bridge to what I really want. Slightly smaller footprint (12"?) with backlit keys and a optical drive and bigger HD. If an ipod can store 160GB why not his?. I don't need it so thin.
  • Reply 15 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The battery life looks disappointing, but turning off all power saving measures and running the screen at max brightness is a bit much.

That battery life actually seemed fairly good considering how he was using it.
  • Reply 16 of 133
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    M-ass-berg did the opposite of what one does to increase battery life. What about screen brightness at minimum, wireless off, and power savings at maximum? Then you might get 5 hours.
  • Reply 17 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazzy View Post

I see this laptop as a bridge to what I really want. Slightly smaller footprint (12"?) with backlit keys and a optical drive and bigger HD. If an ipod can store 160GB why not his?. I don't need it so thin.

It's been stated several times that the 160 GB drive in the iPod is too thick for the Air.
  • Reply 18 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

It's been stated several times that the 160 GB drive in the iPod is too thick for the Air.

Yes I know. I would go slightly thicker and include it though.
  • Reply 19 of 133
    If this computer was designed to be used wirelessly, why the ominous need for a power brick for anything over three hours of use?! That's really disappointing, not that I expected it to meet my personal needs adequately. Given concerns with the economy, I really hope that Apple focuses some energy into another machine I would never buy, the Mac Mini. Need to make it more competitive in specs and price...
  • Reply 20 of 133
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

That battery life actually seemed fairly good considering how he was using it.

Maybe, but just that one data point doesn't help. It also looked like he was doing almost everything he could to get the run time down, and then only speculated that maybe it could get 4.5 hours with some reasonable power saving measures.