External DVD - Advice, please!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation for an external DVD player that I can attach to my iMac that would act as a Region 2 DVD drive. I'll run R1 DVD's locally using the iMac drive and R2 discs using the external drive - I believe I can do that, right?

I don't need a burner - just a reader. Once the DVD has been recognized by the conversion software I'm using I'll rip it to MP4 so that I can put the DVD contents on my iPod Touch.

I'd like to try and keep it $50 if anyone can recommend a decent player within that budget - and where to buy it, please!

Thanks all!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mturner8 View Post

Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation for an external DVD player that I can attach to my iMac that would act as a Region 2 DVD drive. I'll run R1 DVD's locally using the iMac drive and R2 discs using the external drive - I believe I can do that, right?

I don't need a burner - just a reader. Once the DVD has been recognized by the conversion software I'm using I'll rip it to MP4 so that I can put the DVD contents on my iPod Touch.

I'd like to try and keep it $50 if anyone can recommend a decent player within that budget - and where to buy it, please!

Thanks all!

TigerDirect has a Philips on sale; however, it wasn't in at the local TD outlet when I checked today. I looked at several others, but I saw none that specified other than use with a PC and Windows. All that I saw used Nero (lite ???) Since I couldn't see the Phiips box, I don't know what the specs would be.

I assume that if you bought it online, there would be shipping charges, too. If anyone knows of a good ext. burner around this price, I'd be interested also.

If a burner doesn't specify for use with a Mac and OS X, does that rule out use with a Mac?

Philips SPD3600CC/17 SuperAll-Write External DVD Drive - 20x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read, 8x DVD±RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x24x CD-R/RW, Black \t

5 Users Rated

Philips 20x DVD±R External Burner

\tMore Philips Consumer Electronics Products

\t\t

Item Number: \tP129-1008

Availability: \tIn Stock Price: \t $59.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CODE=WEM1548AQ
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I've been trying to find out if the Phiips external DVD Drive is Mac compatible. I found the following in TD's FAQ site. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a definitive answer.

\tIs this Mac compatible?

Question by CI2 Posted 10/15/2007

1.\tHeck yes!

Answer by Don C Posted 10/17/2007

\t

2. If you look at the product datasheet that is availiable under Product Resources lable on the left side of this page, you will see that it only lists MS Windows OSs in the System Requirements section of the datasheet. While this does not preclude it from working with Mac OSX, you might be better selecting a drive that advertises itself as being Mac compatable.The LaCie drive at this price point says that it is Mac compatable.

Answer by Anonymous Posted 10/17/2007