Any news on upgradability of 4core 2.8Ghz Mac Pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I can't make sense all the noise hitting the gossip sites and wondered if anoyone had spotted a reliable take-down source on these single CPU machines before my order for a dual processor workstation travels a bit closer toward its despatch date.

Anyone?

URL's

Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Required reading for MP cpu upgrades http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=3

Think I'd order the octo myself - if I was thinking about some kind of brew it yourself machine I'd go the hackintosh route.

But that's just me.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Required reading for MP cpu upgrades http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=3

Think I'd order the octo myself - if I was thinking about some kind of brew it yourself machine I'd go the hackintosh route.

But that's just me.

Hmm. You're probably right. I'm used to burying my elbows in the shitty insides of a wintel PC and strangling myself on all the cabling (like fighting ones' way through a spiders web). Apple PC's are always far better engineered which I was hoping would make an upgrade relatively painless.

Maybe I'll stick to my current order and upgrade both CPU's when (and if) someone demonstates a straightforward way to upgrade...and when the price of CPU's drop.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Hmm. You're probably right. I'm used to burying my elbows in the shitty insides of a wintel PC and strangling myself on all the cabling (like fighting ones' way through a spiders web). Apple PC's are always far better engineered which I was hoping would make an upgrade relatively painless.

Maybe I'll stick to my current order and upgrade both CPU's when (and if) someone demonstates a straightforward way to upgrade...and when the price of CPU's drop.

If your thinking of just upgrading the single CPU I think that should be no problem, but that's just a guess. IF your asking if there is an additional CPU socket remaining open on the single CPU version my bet would be on no, but again I'm guessing because I have not seen the innards of the new systems.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I spoke to a Genius a couple of weeks ago who claimed that the single processor machine used a different motherboard and heatsink than the dual processor machine.

I wasn't entirely convinced by the Genius, but I guess we'll see when these machine finally get stripped-down. But I guess Apple pulled a similar stunt with the single processor 1.8GHz G5 - it also used a smaller motherboard and a modified heatsink.

The Genius recommended going for the stock machine straight out of the gate because it represented better value for money in the long run.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    There is no second socket in the single CPU Mac Pro. It's a single socket motherboard. A friend that I chat with in New York got one, and it definitely has one socket.