iMovie problems

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So any movie I have been making in iMovie recently has looked like a bad version of a Japanese horror film...i.e. the sound and the picture do not sync up. Is there a way to fix this or is it just a factor of my running an old slow notebook with limited RAM.

I am looking at upgrading soon to a new iMac and was wondering if I should upgrade to Final Cut or if iMovie will work seemlessly on a more powerful machine. Not doing anything fancy, just documenting family events, etc. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    What version of iMovie? And are you sure you haven't split and shifted the picture and sound?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    and what type of computer...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    PowerBook G4

1.5 GHz

1.5 GB DDR RAM

75 GB Hard Drive

iMovie version 5.0.2

I know...it is an ancient set up these days. As far as I know I have not split the picture and sound. I uploaded the video from my camera, dragged the clip into the playframe, and pressed play. Almost from the beginning, the words and lips were off. Any ideas???
  • Reply 4 of 7
    You might want to check on the camera. Is the audio off when you play back through the camera itself?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Yeah, you didn't have your audio set to 12 bit did you? This is happening before you do any editing? I've run iMovie 4 with considerably less processing power and RAM than that. Would've thought you're set-up could handle it very comfortably.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Also, it would help to know if the sound has some consistent amount of offset from the picture, or if it is drifting ever further out of sync over time.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    The video and sound play seemlessly on the camera itself. It seems as though the discrepency is more noticeable at the end, but only because we didn't really have any good talking parts before that. The camera is a Sony HDV camcorder. It records in HD, but you wouldn't know it from YouTube. The original file was 4 GB which is why I think the computer is having a hard time processing it. What is this 12 bit audio you speak of? Is that a iMovie setting, or on the camera?

Here is the video if you can stand 6 minutes of my daughters playing. The best examples occur at the 5 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DN92BRBfE