hongkong version macbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi ilive in china and i want to buy macbook. resellers have a two kind of macbook one of this china version the other hongkong version resellers says 2 ogf them is same and i want to ask u what is diffurences of hongkong and china version macbook? thank u

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by festone View Post

hi ilive in china and i want to buy macbook. resellers have a two kind of macbook one of this china version the other hongkong version resellers says 2 ogf them is same and i want to ask u what is diffurences of hongkong and china version macbook? thank u

The HK version is really exactly the same as the US version, and I believe the China version must be the same.

The one difference will be the power adapter. The HK version comes with the British square "T-shaped" adapter, and I bet the China version comes with the round three-prong adapter. You can always just get a converter or an alternate power cable from your dealer.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Hello tonton,

I will be in hongkong this end of february, and planning too, to buy a macbook there..

Can you recommend some mac stores near kowloon?? Its my first visit in HK..

Where can I find a best deal (small budget) macbook.??

Thanks

p.s.

this is my 1st post
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i1sam View Post

Hello tonton,

I will be in hongkong this end of february, and planning too, to buy a macbook there..

My girlfriend and I recently purchased a Macbook in HK and we found that the price is the same everywhere. The only bargaining you might be able to do is to try to get extra "gifts" which are often junk anyway. You'll find Macbooks in major stores like Fortress and Broadway. Mong Kok is probably the easiest place to buy because there is a street full of these kinds of shops.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Thanks a lot for this tips system6, much appreciated. I am eyeing the 2.2 ghz white model, an upgrade from my almost 2 year old rsd mb cd.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i1sam View Post

Hello tonton,

Thanks

p.s.

this is my 1st post

Sorry didn't see this earlier.

Best Mac shop in terms of service is Ultimate PC and Mac Gallery in Central, at #50 Stanley St (next to the Mid-Levels Escalator).

But we have three main Apple Authorized resellers in Hong Kong. Ultimate, DG and New Vision. Personally I think Ultimate is the best. All have identical pricing on Apple merchandise, which is the same as the HK online store.

Here's a full list:

http://appleclub.com.hk/buy/reseller.html

Plenty of those are in Kowloon.

Make sure you go to Golden Center in Sham Shui Po or 298 in Wanchai (there's a New Vision shop there as well) for accessories and upgrades (RAM, Hard drives, cases, peripherals). In fact, anyone interested in technology shouldn't miss Sham Shui Po (Golden Center and Ap Liu Street) when they visit Hong Kong. It's a must do.

The real benefit of buying a Mac in HK is that the exchange rate Apple charges compared to the US price is fair and there is no sales tax or VAT. That makes HK one of the cheapest places in the world to buy Apple hardware.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Funny story about that shop on Stanley Street.

There's a huge scandal in HK right now with a few celebrities. One of the young male stars (Edison Chen) has been "getting busy" with several of the female stars, who generally have a "squeaky clean" image (Gillian Chung of "Twins" as well as Bobo Chan and Cecilia Cheung).

He likes taking photos and apparently video.

There's a shady unauthorized Mac shop that took the space next to the Ultimate shop on Stanley Street in order to steal some of its business.

Well Edison brought his Mac to that shop for repair. Without deleting, or without fully deleting, the nude and sex photos he had of himself and these girls.

Trust me, these are HUGE stars, on the level of Brad Pitt and Angleina Jolie...

Anyway, the photos got out onto the internet and all hell has broken loose.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    We got our MB at DG in Windsor House in Causeway Bay. My girlfriend's parents live in North Point, so it was reasonably convenient. Unfortunately the upgraded RAM they sold us has been giving us grief.

It could be worth taking tonton's advice and go to Ultimate, considering s/he's had good service from them. It shouldn't be too far from the Central pier, just a short ferry ride from Kowloon.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    I have bought 13 macs for our company at DG in Times Square.

never had a problem with any of them. we then take them to the mainland.

we send people to HK regularly from Guangzhou and Shanghai to buy macs since if bought in China they cost about 10% more than HK.

also, if applecare and the laptop are bought in HK then there no problems with getting service elsewhere. if apple care and the laptop is bought in China, there are major problems in getting service anywhere other than in China.

the differences between a mac bought in HK and one in China other than cost:

-electric adapter

-mac intro book in either simplified or traditional chinese

-if bought in China they (irritatingly and very un-mac like) install alot of crap software and shareware worth absolutely nothing before you buy it

off topic but: apple has last week leased space near Tiannmen Square in Beijing to open its first direct store in China this year.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Sorry didn't see this earlier.

Best Mac shop in terms of service is Ultimate PC and Mac Gallery in Central, at #50 Stanley St (next to the Mid-Levels Escalator).

But we have three main Apple Authorized resellers in Hong Kong. Ultimate, DG and New Vision. Personally I think Ultimate is the best. All have identical pricing on Apple merchandise, which is the same as the HK online store.

Here's a full list:

http://appleclub.com.hk/buy/reseller.html

Plenty of those are in Kowloon.

Make sure you go to Golden Center in Sham Shui Po or 298 in Wanchai (there's a New Vision shop there as well) for accessories and upgrades (RAM, Hard drives, cases, peripherals). In fact, anyone interested in technology shouldn't miss Sham Shui Po (Golden Center and Ap Liu Street) when they visit Hong Kong. It's a must do.

The real benefit of buying a Mac in HK is that the exchange rate Apple charges compared to the US price is fair and there is no sales tax or VAT. That makes HK one of the cheapest places in the world to buy Apple hardware.

Thanks a lot tonton, I already booked my stay at dorsett far east hotel and will surely follow your tips here and the above advises.