Truly bizarre mail problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK, here goes. I'm using Mail to view PC generated work emails at home on my iMac running Leopard. Recently, emails that arrive with 2 attachments indicated in the appropriate column seem to lose one when in the viewer or when opened.

They have almost invariably been generated by my company's secretaries, who are addicted to various Outlook-generated colorful patterned backgrounds, and guess what - the background is formatted beautifully in the message, and is also the only remaining attachment, and the Word file that I needed all along has vanished!

When I view the message as 'long source' the attachment is there (I can see the filename).

Whilst I accept the mind-numbingly obvious solution is to get them to stop using wacky formatting when they send the minutes or whatever out, but we tried and failed on that one some time ago!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I'm not an expert, but I have had similar things happen all the time.

Ask them if they are selecting to "attach" the document or "insert" the document. They should "attach". In Outlook, "insert" puts it on the preview pane IF you are using Outlook. Some documents "insert" ok, others don't. FYI, if they drag the document into Outlook, the action is "insert".

FYI backgrounds and signatures(if they have graphics) come into Mail as attachments. In Outlook, the graphics attachment is not visible, which is why they won't understand what you are talking about.

The only solution I have found that doesn't require talking to them about it is use Entourage to open their email. It seems to retain Outlook integrity of signature and background. I know, sucks.

If anyone has another way, I'd love to hear it. I deal with this all the time.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for your thoughts. Reassuring to know I'm not the only one.

They are attaching rather than inserting the documents.

I'm just wondering if this is a new thing with Leopard? It has not been a problem before, and only occurs when there is one of the stupid background files attached - they can send me emails with any number of other sorts of attachments and there isn't a problem with Word files then.

IT is not my thing, but it is almost as though in formatting the email to open or preview it Mail is stripping out the wrong attachment. I haven't explained that very well. Sorry.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    So I'm not alone (or going mad)...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....48452&#6048452

CMD Y is the solution. Am guessing this will be recognised as a bug some day...