My Request: Apple Car Radio

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
After fighting with trying to listen to my iPod in my existing car stereo, I thought, hey why can't Apple make a car stereo/iPod?

The possibilities could make a very cool device.
  • It doesn't have to be super-small. There's plenty of room where the existing radio is.

• Wi-Fi syncing with the home Mac.

• Portable, for moving to another vehicle, or boom box, or home stereo.

• Pop-out display, touch of course, with wi-fi and a data package

• GPS

• 1TB hard drive for plenty of storage, and, get this

• That hard drive can be used as a backup location for your main Mac, for taking the data with you. It could also be used to sync a Mac and a laptop.

• HD radio (let's also go with XM.

This could be a great product - at least for me. I could download my podcasts on my Mac, then automatically sync it to my car when I hit my home network. For that matter, I could use the data network or another wi-fi signal to purchase songs or movies while on the road.

I hereby allow Apple to use my idea in exchage for a SSD MacAir! Please FedEx it for delivery tomorrow!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Apple are supposedly working on a NAV/entertainment system for MB.

That's been a quiet rumor now for some time. I hope it turns out to be true.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    My ideal Apple Automobile product.

1. MUST have GPS with Multitouch.

2. Since XM and Sirius are merging U can cover both (screw HD radio)

3. Bluetooth HF with easy sync between the iPhone and other brands

4. iTunes movie playback and rear camera support

5. No hard drive. Make it flash only and include 16GB SDHC card.

6. 6.5-7" Screen

7. Web browsing using BT phone as source or Wi-fi

8. Voice commands

9. Plethora of kits for easy integration into factory audio/nav systems

10. Google Maps, Earth support
  • Reply 3 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yo Mick!

Yeah, that's a cool idea. I personally hate all the iPod - radio fiddling too. So I like you would rather simply have Apple make the radio.

Here's my list:
    • 6" touch screen

• iPhone-like M-T UI

• 802.11n Wifi (syncs with your Mac from driveway)

• Comes with dock for iPhone

• Built-in mic.

• gMaps + GPS

• Cool bonus apps

• Access to all of your iPhones apps when docked

• Voice Commands

I know about the rumors, and even without them I'm sure something along these lines is coming - but, expect a long wait.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Personally, I'm a fan of steering wheel mounted controls. I've got an '08 Scion and they all come standard with them and they're great. It's also got a proper iPod connector that allows any of the standard or optional steros to control the iPod via the radio interface. My only complaint is the speed of the interface on the one I've got.

I think if Apple were to get into making entertainment/information systems for vehicles they should be modular. They should have a basic framework and the system could be tailored to the vehicle. Bluetooth and some sort of voice command should be standard as well.

Realistically, I wouldn't want the thing to have a ton of persistent storage since I'd still expect to have an iPod/iPhone or its equivalent holding my music and other frills.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    This is entirely true. Apple is working on a Car Entertainment/Nav for high end auto manufacturers. Think about all the sales from how many of those cars that are sold every year (ie, $$$$). Remember Apple, Inc did state that their focus is now to be a consumer electronics company, which makes sense since computers have become embedded into everything we use in everyday life. Heck, everything from Video-game systems to Phones to certain refrigerators run on some sort of basic computer platform!

Proof of Apple working on a car entertainment/nav system? Look at MS Sync. Its obvious car manufactures want it, look how fast everyone scrambled to adopt iPod integration! The next logical step is to literally incorporate the iPod with iPhone like functions (Google Maps GPS, Calendar, Weather, bluetooth sync to iPhones, etc) into car entertainment systems.

Consumers consider Apple and iPods hi-end products and technological marvels, so why not offer it in their autos as well?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I like this idea, but I also think Apple ought to do a proper living room entertainment system too. Why just keep it to the car?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    This, along with an Apple phone, has been one of my dream products for years.

Edit: And yes, they MUST use the full space available in most cars! No half-size small-buttoned crap is acceptable!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

This is entirely true. Apple is working on a Car Entertainment/Nav for high end auto manufacturers. Think about all the sales from how many of those cars that are sold every year (ie, $$$$). Remember Apple, Inc did state that their focus is now to be a consumer electronics company, which makes sense since computers have become embedded into everything we use in everyday life. Heck, everything from Video-game systems to Phones to certain refrigerators run on some sort of basic computer platform!

Proof of Apple working on a car entertainment/nav system? Look at MS Sync. Its obvious car manufactures want it, look how fast everyone scrambled to adopt iPod integration! The next logical step is to literally incorporate the iPod with iPhone like functions (Google Maps GPS, Calendar, Weather, bluetooth sync to iPhones, etc) into car entertainment systems.

Consumers consider Apple and iPods hi-end products and technological marvels, so why not offer it in their autos as well?

OK, where is the proof that #1 Apple is actually making this device, and #2 Apple said "Their Focus" is to become a consumer electronics company? Other than speculation/rumors/and hopes of a few users about the NAV device I can't say I've heard any of this before.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    If anything I'd find it more likely to consult Apple on how to make a good, efficient in-car experience than to actually see a big Apple branded "thing" embedded in the dashboard.

I think the closest thing to an Apple in-car experience shown to date was the interior shots of the VW Up! concept car.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    An XM Satellite Radio?

That's what you lack in your computing and entertaining experience?

We've got iPod kits for every damn car out there.

You want to see Apple waste time on this one? If Apple were going to do that they would have done a deal with XM/Sirrius and for good reason they've steered clear.