Apple release software updates for iWork '08

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday afternoon released software updates for all three components of its iWork '08 productivity suite -- Keynote, Pages and Numbers.

Per usual, the Cupertino-based company offered frustratingly few details on the three individual updates, details of which follow:

Keynote 4.0.2

Keynote 4.0.2 [32MB] primarily addresses performance issues while playing or exporting presentations.

Pages 3.0.2

Pages 3.0.2 [27.8MB] addresses compatibility with Mac OS X.

Numbers 1.0.2

Numbers 1.0.2 [26.2MB] addresses compatibility with Mac OS X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday afternoon released software updates for all three components of its iWork '08 productivity suite -- Keynote, Pages and Numbers...

Where's the aTV update!? It's 2 weeks already!!!
  • Reply 2 of 41
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I guess no Leopard.2 today then...
  • Reply 3 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Where's the aTV update!? It's 2 weeks already!!!

Hear Hear!!! No "Take Two" no buy Apple!

• Reply 4 of 41
    Well, I'm glad they're fixing compatibility issues ... with the only operating system it actually runs on.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    What are ya'll getting so upset about? It's only 2:30 on the west coast. There's about 3-5 hours left to release more updates. Around 9pm Central, then I'll be mad if there's no ATV update
  • Reply 6 of 41
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    I agree the details are pathetic! What's next? "This upgrade addresses issues" or "This upgrade makes your application happier"

As for ATV, yeah where the heck is that update? This is so typical of SJ, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make it this week.

I'll be frustrated, but I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    When I saw the word "update" I almost leapt out of my chair. I just knew it was 10.5.2 but I guess I'll have to just keep waiting.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Ok, so it takes time to get things just right, but come on! If you don't have an update ready to ship, please don't announce it your Steveness.

And another thing... Where is 10.5.2?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

When I saw the word "update" I almost leapt out of my chair. I just knew it was 10.5.2 but I guess I'll have to just keep waiting.

That easily qualifies as coercion on behalf of Apple . I'm guessing 10.5.2 update is scheduled for later this week, then, or even worse next week. Don't care how quickly it comes out, as long as it comes out before I receive my Apple TV! "No gadget buying in the end of the month, need money for food instead"
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

That easily qualifies as coercion on behalf of Apple . I'm guessing 10.5.2 update is scheduled for later this week, then, or even worse next week. Don't care how quickly it comes out, as long as it comes out before I receive my Apple TV! "No gadget buying in the end of the month, need money for food instead"

Yeah, I know what you mean. Hopefully by Friday we'll all have 10.5.2
  • Reply 11 of 41
    I'm eagerly awaiting the day that iWork will support right to left properly. I use hebrew quite a lot and it's a real pain to guess where the cursor is when you edit text. For instance, Keynote doesn't put the bullets to the right (no pun intended) side and the cursor is erratic at best in Pages. I don't use Numbers but I suspect that tabbing from cell to cell goes the wrong way round for a right to left table.

Maybe that's the way Apple found to not sell to arabic speaking people?

It's a problem that has been discussed for years and neither Apple nor MS seem willing to properly support right to left languages (on Apple's products). Weird...
  • Reply 12 of 41
    When did SJ promise to have ATV and .2 updates out on the 29th? I don't recall that.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    When on Janury 15, he said updates in 2 weeks.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:

Yep!!
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Keynote needs some basic fixes, and I doubt that this update addresses any of these more obvious issues that I am having: (1) Plain b&w printing without backgrounds is a pain; (2) The "redo" function always seems grayed-out (and command-y never seems to work); (3) The "Inspector" is clumsy, esp. when it comes to some types of text management (e.g., shrinking space between lines of text) and managing bullets; (4) The "Shapes" menu is woefully inadequate; (5) Hitting the "back" button in presentation mode takes one to the top of the current or prior slide, rather than take transitions back step-by-step.

There are more irritants, but these are my main ones.

Keynote still needs some work.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wonder if the AppleTV update will replace the Tiger version with a Leopard version.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herrdoktor View Post

Well, I'm glad they're fixing compatibility issues ... with the only operating system it actually runs on.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Uh so what OS was the old one compatible with?
  • Reply 18 of 41
    I'd love it if Pages handled bulleted and numbered lists better.

Try to create a numbered list with an empty line in between each item. You have manually check "Number continuously" in the inspector each and every time you create a new item to maintain the proper order (or else everything is designated '1'. OR write a huge monoparagraph, then insert line breaks, then manually uncheck the "Numbered List" in the inspector for each of the empty lines.

Microsoft Word will understand what you're trying to do after the first adjustment you make to a list, and perpetuate that until you tell it to stop.

Pages is more "Hey, I can't make that list work out for you, but here are 50 kerning options."
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Perhaps it was a preemptive update:

We are still expecting 10.5.2, which last time I checked is Mac OS X. Maybe the new update changes a couple of things, and the iWork updates got finished sooner.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Steve also got up and showed how they made that very cool vacation video with the new iMovie and Steve himself said the Panasonic HDC-SD1 was used to make it. Funny how when you imported the video you had only one sound channel in iMovie. It just got fixed in the past week and he said that crap last year sometime.