Constant graphics-related (?) crashes - is my GPU dying?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Three times so far, my Mac Pro (2006, the first model, with x1900) has crashed. I walk away for 10-20 minutes, and come back to see the displays off with their power lights blinking like the computer's asleep, but it's unresponsive to key-presses, and I can't ssh in. When it restarts, I notice the temperature is up pretty high, but not crash-level high.

What could this be? I don't have AppleCare, so I'm asking if people have ideas outside of shelling out $400 for a new x1900 (honestly, I may fall back to a 7300 if that's the case). I'm still running Tiger.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: I removed my card, and cleaned a massive amount of dust from the front of the fan. Didn't disassemble the fan because I'm clumsy and didn't want to risk anything. Appear to be running cooler. Can't test for re-occurrence because of class. Will report back

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    My guess is that it iS getting too hot and does crash, but has time to cool down by the time you come back. So did cleaning the dust help you? Even tho you don't have applecare, if this is a constant problem, I don't think the fee would be too high at your local apple authorized service center to take a look at it and at least tell you what's wrong with it.