Receipts

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is it ok to delete the receipt packages in the library folder?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I wouldn't but you can try Seriously, if you want to see what happens, move them out of the folder and save the for a while. If things go smoothly (ie. no unneeded software update false alarms, etc), get rid of them. If things get weird, just move 'em back. Of course, they don't take that much room, so maybe you should just leave them alone
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I don't do it on a regular basis but I have done it in the past without any problems.

Good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've done it before and never had any problems.

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    Could someone explain exactly what Recipts are?

They're not like the old simple text files that used to tell you where stuff was installed. What do they do?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I believe that receipts tell the installer and software update what has been installed. I would think that if you remove, say, the 10.1.3 receipt, the software update may let you download and reinstall it.

It may also come in handy if some installer changes some system files and this allows the updater to find out which files. One of the updating steps is looking to find out which files have been changed and you might cause a problem there.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    The Repair Disk Permissions option in Disk Utility use the permissions instructions inside the Receipts as the source for correcting permissions on those particular items.

Not a super biggee, but I would not delete them.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    ooh, excellent idea. i really want 10.2.4 dead and gone. i'll give this a try and let you know how it goes.

i have the day off tomorrow anyway, so if i break something who cares.

plus i already fried a PC's BIOS today, so what's the worst that could happen?