Is OS X crash proof on your system?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
On both my iBook and DP G4 and even my dad's iMac....

Haven't had a single (restart required) crash since the day I updated the OS to 10.1.1

PS. Applications crashes don't count

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Except for the few kernel panics I had for some reason a few weeks ago, my iBook hasn't been restarted since I installed 10.1 except for the few OS updates.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    No freezes ever back to public beta, but the Finder still hangs at times. Now, however, I can still do other stuff while it makes up its mind.
  • Reply 3 of 91
    Never had any kernal panics or freezes or forced restarts on my iBook 600 or g4 533.
  • Reply 4 of 91
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    Never had a crash on my iMac since March 23rd, when I installed Mac OS X 10.0. My iBook 600 hasn't had any crashes either: it started with 10.1. My PowerMac G4 had one crash playing Quake 3 Arena, but that's it.
  • Reply 5 of 91
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    I've only ever had one kernel panic thanks to that Mac-&gt;PC networking programs uninstaller. I forget the name but it is an absolutely terrible program. I called the tech. support # (an international call for me) and was on hold for an HOUR AND A HALF all the while they were saying "A representative will be with you in...less than...five minutes." I ended up having to format to get rid of it.

I think the program was called DAVE or something.

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Ybot ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 91
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    That networking software is called DAVE

I don't use it but I do use PCMacLAN installed on my PC and it works absolutely fine
  • Reply 7 of 91
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Nope. OSX is less stable on my new iBook 600 than it was on my beige G3 266. That machine was so much stabler (I think the hardware was produced at a higher level before the coming of the iMac).

One way to crash my iBook guaranteed is to simply connect/disconnect the AV cable while a DVD is playing. (I think I got the same effect with connecting/disconnecting a monitor to the RGB out)

The iBook attempts to switch from displaying the DVD on the TV to on the LCD and the DVD player takes down the whole OS. Happened twice to me while attempting to watch DVDs.

My PC-loving girlfriend had a great laugh and I'm sure I won't be living it down for a while (so much for the stability of UNIX) so I am quite unimpressed with Apple. Hope 10.1.3 fixed the problem. I'll have to try and see.
  • Reply 8 of 91
    It's mostly stable.. as long as I don't try to play any commercial games (which consistently freeze) X is nice and stable. I had a 24 day uptime that started and finished because of power outages.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    i've had a few [perhaps more than few] times when the comp slowed to a crawl where i restarted, and sometimes i (gasp) stop iTunes, and it won't work again unless I restart. 've had less than 5 panics. so, its not exactly (in my experience) unstoppable, but its a lot better than anything else, in so many ways. and i love that leaky programs don't bomb the comp. (mmm... protected memory).

now, here's a completely unrelated quote for you to chew the fat over, or just think about,

"when i was just a little young boy, papa said 'son you'll neva get far. i'll tell u the reason, if u wanna know. cuz chil' of mine, there isn't really very far to go'" -Robert Hunter
  • Reply 10 of 91
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Hee hee!

Whew!

No. Usually about three kernel panics a week. Has happened with every version from 10.0.4 through 10.1.3, with numerous clean installs in between.

The joys of owning a dual machine, I guess. MacOS 9 on the other hand is rock solid. Have only had one crash in 9 since I bought the machine in October, and that was in classic. Classic and 9 are rock solid.
  • Reply 11 of 91
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I've never had the OS crash, but some applications crash a bit more than I'd like but that's not really the OS's fault.
  • Reply 12 of 91
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    It freezes for me. The mouse will move, but everything else just halts. I dont think I have gone a week without a restart. for one reason or another4
  • Reply 13 of 91
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebagakid:

<strong>It freezes for me. The mouse will move, but everything else just halts. I dont think I have gone a week without a restart. for one reason or another4</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm using a TiBook on an AirPort network and I have the same problem. I'm just at the edge of the range of the network and if the signal gets too weak the machine just freezes. The cursor moves but nothing responds.
  • Reply 14 of 91
    katekate Posts: 172member
    Since 10.1 release:

Crashes of the entire OS: 1

Problems that required a force restart: 12

Grinding halts due to unresponsive Apple apps: twice a day

Simple app crashes : IE sometimes, other betas: here and there

OS reinstalls due to networking and daemon problems: 5

cursing due to Finder flaws: 6 a day on average

cursing due to spinning rainbow cd cursor: a dozen per day

Not too shabby for a system that is still in its diapers.

But laughable for the worlds most advanced OS. Marketing is o-so-unrealistic.

By the way: 10.1.3 really did not break any of my apps and seems to squeeze the system a little bit more to proper work, despite there is the flaw with playing mpgs.
  • Reply 15 of 91
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    X never chrashed on my TiBook 500.

only problem I have, it won't shut down,

am getting a blue screen with that stupid spinning ball. have to hold the startup button a few seconds ...

At start up everything is fine... any ideas for a fix other than a full re-install?
  • Reply 16 of 91
    OS X locked up on me a couple of times when I was installing a classic app. And my iMac refused to wake up from sleep numerous times so I turned off sleep and now I just spin down the hard drive and put the LCD to sleep (about the only thing left running is the fan). So it's been pretty good to me so far.
  • Reply 17 of 91
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    I have never had a total freeze up like on OS9...

I once had a kernel panic on startup...

but that was no big deal... restarted and whalla... everything worked fine...

Sometimes when I set it to sleep, the sleep light comes on but then later stops pulsing and it falls into a coma...

But overall I havent had any such problems on X that ticked me off as much as they did on OS9...

------------------------------------

© FERRO 2001-200
  • Reply 18 of 91
    Not one kernel panic ever

Not one freeze ever

Not one reastart due to any problem ever

Not one restart period in 58 days.

TiBook/400/384, OS X 10.1.2
  • Reply 19 of 91
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    iMac: 1 KP since 10.1 related to my Rio 600 being disconnected and reconnected in rapid succession. That's it.

iBook: 0 KP. 1 freeze related to the modem bug. The cursor stopped moving so I reset. When It started back up the date had reset. That was a hard crash.
  • Reply 20 of 91
    stupid f#cking AOL

i get the spinning beach ball of death a lot.