Trying to purchase new movies in iTunes but can't

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Howdy y'all,

I just fired up the ol' iTunes store to try to purchase a couple new movies, but when I click on them, there is only the option to rent them. I want to have them around for years to watch repeatedly. For example, Spiderman 3.

the only problem is that I cannot figure a way to buy the movie. the only option I get is "rent movie" for 4 bucks.

am I missing something? I know the rental service is new, but purchasing movies has always been the feature I have used. I have an iPhone now and I have watched a couple movies on it during travel and it works great.

Please don't tell me Apple is doing away with selling videos or (ridiculously) delaying the option to purchase when DVDs are out already just to drive rentals.

Is there an option I am just not seeing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Heck, even 300 is rent only!

What!?!?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    All the new ones are only for rent. Presumably, that was the deal Apple was able to get with the movie studios.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

All the new ones are only for rent. Presumably, that was the deal Apple was able to get with the movie studios.

Wow, that is a terrible deal. especially considering that the movies are available for purchase on DVD. It is really lame with these studios how they let Amazon sell AND rent spiderman 3 (example), but not iTunes. It is a forced limitation that has nothing to do with Apple. I guess the only thing for me to do if the studio won't let me buy it the way I want is to not buy it.

I just looked up amazons movies and they cost $14.99 for a year old movie. It is the same as buying the DVD. Truthfully,, studios should be happy with a digital download for 10 bucks, because they save on the cost of DVD design, production, and manufacturing as well as the associated packaging and inserts as well as the shipping and shopping stores to sell it to that goes into it. they save the 5 bucks.

Oh well, I guess it will be DVD or nothing for now. Good thing I have Handbrake.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I like renting movies much more than owning them. I don't watch them more than once or twice (with just a few exceptions), and then they don't take up space.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I like renting movies much more than owning them. I don't watch them more than once or twice (with just a few exceptions), and then they don't take up space.

I like owning movies much more than renting them and I store them on external drives and burn them to DVD to watch on TV if needed.

some will want to rent, others will want to buy. Apple should at least provide the option. After all, there competition is doing it.

It really is a stupid artificial limitation.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    first time when itunes delivered movie, many people complained about price, quality, etc. now people complain about rented movie, too. get used to it. time is matter. wait for little more time. people never satisfy with the service. never.