Can A Bluetooth Phone Be Used For a Backup Device?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm going to be getting a new phone very soon. I'm looking at the LG UX380 because it supports a 4GB memory card.

I don't really care about the music because I have many iPods to use.

That got me to thinking though - can I simply drag files to my phone from my iMac?

If that works, then maybe I could use Automator to set up a schedule to backup some of my more important stuff, then I can take it with me.

I've never had a Bluetooth phone before, so I don't know if this can be done or not.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I'm going to be getting a new phone very soon. I'm looking at the LG UX380 because it supports a 4GB memory card.

I don't really care about the music because I have many iPods to use.

That got me to thinking though - can I simply drag files to my phone from my iMac?

If that works, then maybe I could use Automator to set up a schedule to backup some of my more important stuff, then I can take it with me.

I've never had a Bluetooth phone before, so I don't know if this can be done or not.

The way Bluetooth file transfer works makes it fine for backing up one or two vital documents, but not a folder of documents. The phone doesn't simply show up as a drive.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    The transfer rate is way too slow and you usually won't be able to send any type of file. It will likely reject unrecognised formats that are not video, text or pictures. To put a 50MB file on will take 20 minutes or so (40KB/s is around what I've seen phones transfer at). 4GB would take about 27 hours.

If you plug in the phone via USB, it would be faster and should accept different file types but still fairly slow for a backup system. You're much better off using an ipod like an ipod classic. Even a nano would do if you just need 4-8GB.