MacBook Air (HDD model): an in-depth review

Comments

• Reply 81 of 153
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I was looking forward to the Air being my secondary computer. But now (since it lacks FireWire) I'm anticipating the next generation MacBook Pro to be my main computer and the iPhone to be my secondary "computer". A little shift in strategy. It'll be a heavier burden on my sholders, and I won't bring it around as spontainiously as I would with the Air, but I guess that's just fine. For simple tasks I'll just use the iPhone.
  • Reply 82 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuneman07 View Post

A few of you need to learn the definition of a troll- it is someone who posts things which are just ignorant statements to rile people up- not someone who simply states a realistic opinion that may go against Apple.

There have been a lot of the former since the Air was released.
  • Reply 83 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I was looking forward to the Air being my secondary computer. But now (since it lacks FireWire) I'm anticipating the next generation MacBook Pro to be my main computer and the iPhone to be my secondary "computer". A little shift in strategy. It'll be a heavier burden on my sholders, and I won't bring it around as spontainiously as I would with the Air, but I guess that's just fine. For simple tasks I'll just use the iPhone.

Why does the lack of FW keep you from buying the Air? Just asking as I have almost graduated away from FW except for my system at home that is going on three years old. Even my new Canon HD video camera comes with USB only, so I have little need (though I am not saying desire) for FW.
  • Reply 84 of 153
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Why does the lack of FW keep you from buying the Air? Just asking as I have almost graduated away from FW except for my system at home that is going on three years old. Even my new Canon HD video camera comes with USB only, so I have little need (though I am not saying desire) for FW.

I was using FW for DV, but not anymore.. since I'm shooting directly to SD card, so this is not an issue. But I was planning to use the laptop frontmost as a stage computer for performing music, and on the go uses. My current audio interface (and in my opinion the best audio interfaces out there) are currently FW, so it's important to me to have FW. I'll eventually have to get a new audio card anyway, but I'd rather get a FW one. Also most of my external disks are FW. Almost all FW periferals sport the posibility to chain them together, virtually terminating the need of a FireWire hub, which is just perfect. This isn't possible with USB disks and audio interfaces so there I will always need a USB hub if I'm connecting more than one device.

And also... my experience with USB on my old 12" powerbook is that shortly after I plug in ANY USB device, the fan kicks in. Which means there's a lot of circuit activity generating heat and drawing power. Even though I know it's better on newer machines, it's a fact that FW is less heavy on circuit activity, and more sophisticated when it comes to chaining devices etc.
  • Reply 85 of 153
    That qualifies as a good answer!

The chaining of FW is a boost; I have my backup drive system on my main work machine set up with FW 800 to several drives; it is sweet.

Indeed, I was surprised when the newest Canons dropped FW; FW 800 is faster for video, but very few PCs actually have 800 (that I am aware of).

I'd like to see them add HDMI to the Air; several offices I visit recently don't have projectors anymore (I carry my own anyway); they all have huge plasma displays that have HDMI inputs that look great and carry sound all in one compact cable. If the Apple TV can have it, I think at least one of the MacBook line should, too, or a BTO option. Maybe next year.
  • Reply 86 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crampy20 View Post

But noone can justify why this product is so pricey - ultra protables are $400 - $750 for pretty similar functionality to the air.

Please provide list that support your claim
  • Reply 87 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

i dont think the media is cheerleading MBA. I know at least 3 or 4 article about how MBA will not be successful. But most of the time, These articles are written because the writers are getting paid to write what they think. So you cant be mad for someone stating their opinion

Could you please provide references?
  • Reply 88 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbjai View Post

the battery life sounds a bit weak to be honest.

I always thought the ultra portable market strived for a laptop that could go the full working day without a charge. Like that was the holy grail. The way i hear many of the people here they only use their ultra portable for 2 hours a day or something..........

Well you thought right. They are striving, but no body is successful. However, Sony, for example, claims up to 10 hours using a horse of a battery and playing MP3 files only.

Battery life is primarily a 'physics-depending' issue. Cripes, we are not running a flashlight.
  • Reply 89 of 153
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crampy20 View Post

But noone can justify why this product is so pricey - ultra protables are $400 - $750 for pretty similar functionality to the air. I admit that other apple computers are priced aggresivley.

The Air is NOT comparable to anything like the Asus EEE, the OLBC XO or anything in that price class if that's what you're thinking.

The Air's competition is stuff like the Sony TZ, Lenovo X61, the Business class ToughBooks and such.
  • Reply 90 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Urban Splash View Post

Right,

A long standing reader on this forum, but now I must speak.

I am of the opinion that this was not indeed 'an in-depth review'. Look, I love Apple products, and was looking forward to reading a well written article, but this 'review' is such a let down.

As has been commented, there are so many questions left without answers.

I get the impression that the reviewer received a nice free MBA for this article. I also wonder if the reviewer was the person spotted on the aircraft with the screen at an unusable angle?

As a brit, I have still not managed to have a look at a MBA in person. I may get one, who knows. I'm still relying on good reviews to tell me what its like to live with on a day to day basis.

I agree, Urban Splash, that this review is a let down. It looks like an actual in-depth review may be on its way from Anandtech. They have opened their MBA and taken photos that do not appear to have come from Apple marketing: http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3217 I plan to point them towards the questions asked in preparation for this article in the hopes that they will answer them in their review.
  • Reply 91 of 153
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Finally saw one at the local BestBuy. Luv it. I can imagine it crashing to the floor when someone in a hurry grabs it by the tapered edge and it slips out of his/her grasp. That's the problem with smooth surfaces that tape towards its edge. But I'm just being extremely nitpicky.
  • Reply 92 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Please provide list that support your claim

I'll provide one:

http://tech.msn.com/products/Top5Ult...leLaptops.aspx
  • Reply 93 of 153
    swingswing Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heulenwolf View Post

I agree, Urban Splash, that this review is a let down. It looks like an actual in-depth review may be on its way from Anandtech. They have opened their MBA and taken photos that do not appear to have come from Apple marketing: http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3217 I plan to point them towards the questions asked in preparation for this article in the hopes that they will answer them in their review.

Heulenwolf, thanks for the article link. anandtech indicates the hard drive actually is replaceable, perhaps even with an SSD. If this turns out to be true that is good news for me and would remove the biggest obstacle I have in purchasing the existing MBA. Then, if I could eventually add more RAM . .
  • Reply 94 of 153
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    I have been trying to like this thing I really have but...\

I just look at the price and think it's amazing to pay all this money for something that just looks cool but does nothing well. A macbook is a much better buy than this Air, and it has the same footprint too.
  • Reply 95 of 153
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    I take it back...I DO find something about it I like: the use of flash-based storage. Gotta love not having to worry about a moving harddrive. But still...the price is something else.
  • Reply 96 of 153
    swingswing Posts: 52member
    Yep, I agree. Looking at the smoking Lenovo machines on the link posted by His Dudeness (http://tech.msn.com/products/Top5Ult...leLaptops.aspx) makes me feel especially lonely with my trusty ol' 12" PB G4. I've been waiting a looong time for a similar Mac to come along.

But His Steveness will apparently go to the grave proud of having killed the approx. 12"-size portable Mac computer. Like some others I suspect he's leaving room for a tablet, but that is another topic.
  • Reply 97 of 153
    The lack of WANN make this a 3 pound paperweight for me. I guess I keep using my IBM T-61 (Verizon Internal WANN), and my Macbook. I need a real Ultra Portable laptop that works anywhere and not this shiny new toy.
  • Reply 98 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

I'll provide one:

http://tech.msn.com/products/Top5Ult...leLaptops.aspx

Suggest you better find a better one. Not one on the page you linked to supports the claim, i.e.,

"Originally Posted by crampy20

But noone can justify why this product is so pricey - ultra protables are $400 - $750 for pretty similar functionality to the air."

Can you read? These machines don't come anywhere near the price or the functionality.

I love the first Bottom Line…, "The 9-cell battery on this indoor/outdoor model lasts forever,…"
  • Reply 99 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmovieman View Post

The lack of WANN make this a 3 pound paperweight for me. I guess I keep using my IBM T-61 (Verizon Internal WANN), and my Macbook. I need a real Ultra Portable laptop that works anywhere and not this shiny new toy.

There are many people for whom the "toy" will be an excellent computer; it doesn't have some things because it simply doesn't need them. Obviously, if you need something it doesn't have, then it isn't for you, a point that has required repeating many, many times in this and other threads about the Air. That's life.
  • Reply 100 of 153
    Great job!

Here is another review with benchmarks for both SSD and HHD versions running under both OS X and Vista:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/note...acBook-Air.htm