MacBook Air (HDD model): an in-depth review

Comments

• Reply 121 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crampy20

"Originally Posted by crampy20

But noone can justify why this product is so pricey - ultra protables are $400 - $750 for pretty similar functionality to the air."

Are you on crack?

Why don't we start comparing the MB Air with Ti-89's for Pete's sake!
  • Reply 122 of 153
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

Are you on crack?

As far as I can tell, that person hasn't come back to respond to rebuttals.

The only explanation I can think of is that the stuff in that price range was probably referring to the EEE, XO and the Cloud, but anyone with an ounce of analytical skills should be able to tell that they're not comparable.
  • Reply 123 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As far as I can tell, that person hasn't come back to respond to rebuttals.

The only explanation I can think of is that the stuff in that price range was probably referring to the EEE, XO and the Cloud, but anyone with an ounce of analytical skills should be able to tell that they're not comparable.

Your so right, but so many people without a clue are comparing the MBA to things you cant compare it to. Its either the Eee Pc camp, which are delusional, or the People who compare the MBA with full size regular notebooks (such as toshibas, macbooks, etc) and whine that is supposedly "lacks" features like an optical drive.

We might as well start complaining that motorcycles don't come with 3rd row seats, or that HDTVs don't come with cable, or that 2% milk is not really 2% milk.
  • Reply 124 of 153
    It's not? It's 98% something.
  • Reply 125 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

Yes, let's! My Timex-Sinclair 1000 is much lighter. Surely that proves the MBA is junk!
  • Reply 126 of 153
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

Belches out heat like nobody's business? What are they talking about? Mine isn't hot at all. I guess it would heat up if you're trying to run the new Skynet Defense System Software through it, but come on.

Looks to me as if the heat issue was while running Vista -- maybe Vista doesn't do power management properly?
  • Reply 127 of 153
    Met an Apple rep today... my Air should be here any day now!

He also said the Air is selling fairly well in Japan and much better than in the US. It seems to have touched the right buttons in Japan, which is good (it's about time).
  • Reply 128 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Met an Apple rep today... my Air should be here any day now!

He also said the Air is selling fairly well in Japan and much better than in the US. It seems to have touched the right buttons in Japan, which is good (it's about time).

Much better than the US? What do you mean? Demand id still outstripping supply in the US.
  • Reply 129 of 153
    I think it comes down to this...

Would more people want a 3.0lb 12" notebook with an optical drive and plety of ports, or a 3.0lb 13.3" noteboook without? I wish Apple could bring both products to market, actually. Personally I'd go for a 12" notebook from Apple in a heartbeat. When the 12" Powerbook came out I had so much envy... but simply wasn't in the market at the time. Since then... nothing.
  • Reply 130 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Much better than the US? What do you mean? Demand id still outstripping supply in the US.

The number of orders in Japan is much higher than in the US; neither country has enough supply yet.

A big shipment seems to be heading out next week.
  • Reply 131 of 153
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I just had an opportunity to play with a MB Air today and damn it's a sweet machine. If I could make the sacrifices necessary to use that thing I would. I can only hope that the MB Pro update inherits some of the sex from it. I'm referring to the overall feeling of strngth/rigidity, the new trackpad, and the keyboard. The overall thin-ness isn't a big deal (at all) in my eyes, but the curved case seems to help with the rigidity aspect, so I wouldn't shed any tears if they managed to add the curves to the MB Pro.
  • Reply 132 of 153
    First off, let me start by saying I love apple mac products, and own them too.

That said, MBA is a rip off. Why? No, not the target audience, but I can't stand the FAN BOY mentality let alone the ignorance that most users have (is 160GB how much ram? Not knowing how to edit kext files (BBEdit)), of course, I am also pointing to the latest switchers.

Now, with that in mind, latest switchers, PLEASE, some FAN BOY, please defend why the crappy GPU? Battery life you say? Okay, then why the crappy GPU in Mac Book? How about Mac Mini?

Would it be to much to ask for a decent GPU in the low end models without having to spend $2000 grand for a laptop if you want decent graphics?

Okay, now what is the excuse? Wait, I know, they (Apple), are afraid that the Pro's (myself included), would use the cheap'o machines to run MOTION right! By golly, that must be it right?

I mean, why else would they cripple even the first/second gen MACBOOKS that had a score of 186% with XBENCH down to a lowly 87%.

But wait, hold on, just a second here - - is it me or do we and the PRO market no longer make up the Apple user base (see puppy dogs, baby strollers in Apple Store with One to One's for iPhoto (would love to see a SHAKE/LOGIC/MOTION class (a-huh...), no, the user base are those that ask ...."is 120Gigs the RAM......." NOT THE PRO market.

So why does APPLE keep dissin us? Why?

Would it kill them to make a decent GPU laptop that didn't cost $2000 never mind the under powered, bad review STATIC $1000 Solid State HD under powered, crappy (AGAIN) on board graphics.

Please, even as a fan, I can't justify this product nor any that can't run a decent game nor motion. So what if good gaming = motion users. Again, so what. The small 2~3 % of the market (PROS) wouldn't make or break APPLE ANYMORE these days than does the OSX86 groups cracking the OS. Spare me.

Come to think of it, from a marketing point of view (I was a National Marketing Director), Apple would sell boat loads of Mac Books to every college student if they could run windows, play FPS (first person shooters) and gave it up on worrying about the PRO user base.

Its getting old.

Just my .03 cents.

:-)
  • Reply 133 of 153
    Okay, I'll attempt to explain this in a way everyone will understand. There are 6 notebook categories

Value/Mainstream

Desktop replacement

Thin and Light

Premium Thin and Light

Ultra Portable

Value customers want just that an inexpensive basic notebook for their needs. Low end CPU, no GPU. Basically also retail only.

Mainstream notebooks are pretty much your average standard duty laptop. About an inch and a half thick and about 6lbs for a 15". Can be configured anywhere from fairly basic to some pretty high end CPUs. GPUs usually range from integrated graphics to light and medium dedicated graphics.

Desktop Replacement/Mobile workstation: The titans of the portable arena...and what I mean by portable I mean easier to tote around than your desktop. Usually a 17 or 19" screen these behemoths weigh in at 8-12 pounds. They don't compromise featuring the fastest CPU (sometimes even desktop CPUs), the best professional and consumer graphics (now even in SLI), and 2-3 2.5" hard drives. The only thing larger than these beasts is their price tag.

Thin and Light: basically smaller mainstream notebooks in the 12-14" range. Weight of 4-5.5 pounds.

Premium Thin and light. Think MBP. A notebook that has the power of a higher end mainstream notebook and the weight of a thin and light using more materials such as lightweight metals or carbon fibre. Unfortunately, as the weight goes down the price goes up.

Ultraportable: These can best be described by having the features of a value notebook and the weight of a feather. Ultraportables are the travelers notebook. Their features are basic, sometimes even using hard drives meant for portable disc players or forgoing the optical drive, their CPUs are slow, and their screens are small 10-13", but they they offer long batter life and a form factor that can easily fit in your briefcase or backpack.
  • Reply 134 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankiilacomposer View Post

First off, let me start by saying I love apple mac products, and own them too.

That said, MBA is a rip off. Why? No, not the target audience, but I can't stand the FAN BOY mentality let alone the ignorance that most users have (is 160GB how much ram? Not knowing how to edit kext files (BBEdit)), of course, I am also pointing to the latest switchers.

Now, with that in mind, latest switchers, PLEASE, some FAN BOY, please defend why the crappy GPU? Battery life you say? Okay, then why the crappy GPU in Mac Book? How about Mac Mini?

Would it be to much to ask for a decent GPU in the low end models without having to spend $2000 grand for a laptop if you want decent graphics?

Okay, now what is the excuse? Wait, I know, they (Apple), are afraid that the Pro's (myself included), would use the cheap'o machines to run MOTION right! By golly, that must be it right?

I mean, why else would they cripple even the first/second gen MACBOOKS that had a score of 186% with XBENCH down to a lowly 87%.

But wait, hold on, just a second here - - is it me or do we and the PRO market no longer make up the Apple user base (see puppy dogs, baby strollers in Apple Store with One to One's for iPhoto (would love to see a SHAKE/LOGIC/MOTION class (a-huh...), no, the user base are those that ask ...."is 120Gigs the RAM......." NOT THE PRO market.

So why does APPLE keep dissin us? Why?

Would it kill them to make a decent GPU laptop that didn't cost $2000 never mind the under powered, bad review STATIC $1000 Solid State HD under powered, crappy (AGAIN) on board graphics.

Please, even as a fan, I can't justify this product nor any that can't run a decent game nor motion. So what if good gaming = motion users. Again, so what. The small 2~3 % of the market (PROS) wouldn't make or break APPLE ANYMORE these days than does the OSX86 groups cracking the OS. Spare me.

Come to think of it, from a marketing point of view (I was a National Marketing Director), Apple would sell boat loads of Mac Books to every college student if they could run windows, play FPS (first person shooters) and gave it up on worrying about the PRO user base.

Its getting old.

Just my .03 cents.

:-)

Look, this notebook is not meant for you. Price and screen size aren't everything that differentiates notebooks. Ultraportables are a small niche to be sure, but its still there. I do agree abut the GPU in the Macbook. Generational difference aside, I think the G3/4 iBook are a better overall product than the Macbook with a CPU that's almost as fast as the MBP.
  • Reply 135 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Look, this notebook is not meant for you. Price and screen size aren't everything that differentiates notebooks. Ultraportables are a small niche to be sure, but its still there. I do agree abut the GPU in the Macbook. Generational difference aside, I think the G3/4 iBook are a better overall product than the Macbook with a CPU that's almost as fast as the MBP.

The incredible voicing of anger at the Air is really amazing, and it keeps going. It is really getting to the point where it is silly.

If Apple makes a product and people buy it, then it was a good product.

The Air is currently ranked #1 at Apple Stores in about 10 countries.
  • Reply 136 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

As a long time reader I had to join due to the reply to this poster.

Why is it that the boyz fanz won't acknowledge what he said? Why the shi$$ty graphic cards on low end models. Isn't he right that the pros no longer make up the base? I couldn't agree more.

Its now full of iphones in Japan/China and yet Apple still refuses to release a cheap computers with good graphics (laptop).

The MBA is a rip off.

Oh, and I have a friend that works at apple, if Leopard is so great, why don't they use it in the back of the store or back of house as they would call it? Are we still lab rats?
  • Reply 137 of 153
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    (Usual and tired rant about the goddam graphics card)

As usual, straight out of the GPU Club's handbook

GPU Club approves: "Decent"

GPU Club disapproves: "Crappy"

It's hilarious.

According to this club, no GPU is ever "decent." No matter what Apple put in there it would not be "decent."

Their battle cry: "OMG UPGRADE TEH VIDEO CARD"
  • Reply 138 of 153
    Great, I'm stuck between the two extremes, as usual. MBA sucks people: not every computer or person needs one. There is not one generic computer that can meet everyone's criteria. A bad deal to one person is a great deal to someone else. The MBA might not be that good of a general purpose notebook, but when you look at the compition, they're packing smaller screens, slower CPUs, and reduced size keyboards. Apple as a religion people: Steve Jobs is not a God, Apple is neither always right nor has the answers, and degrading the evil heretics only works to make this platform seem like its populated with a bunch of out of touch extremists.
  • Reply 139 of 153
    Here's my take on the video card:

I can run an openGL screensaver on my Air flawlessy. The Intel GMA965 chip in my Dell Inspiron will NOT play an openGL screensaver. I'd say the Air is just fine.
  • Reply 140 of 153
    I love the look. Its sleek and elegant and a lovely piece of industrial design.

Will I be buying one? No.

Having an outboard optical drive is a big negative to the way some of us work.

I already resent lugging around the AC/DC brick on other Mac portables.

Having to bring yet another chunk o' technology along makes what appears

to be a compact solution rather clunky.

Because I work in film and video and need the bandwidth, I'd rather wait for a MacBook

Pro to come along with BluRay technology in the same case.