8G to 16G swap

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
You think Apple would let me swap to a 16G iphone? I just purchased an 8G iphone less than 2 weeks ago. I would really like more memory. I waited until after Mac World to buy the phone because I thought they would introduce one with more memory. When that didn't happen I went and bought one. If they had mentioned that a 16G would be available in Feb, I would have waited. Does any one have any suggestions? Thanx \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Man up and be willing to pay a restocking fee.

I'm in favor of retailers charging a restocking fee for non-defective returns. The items have to be resold as used/refurbished/open-box and thus at a lower price. I'd rather not subsidize people returning perfectly good merchandise. In my opinion, wishy-washy buyers should pay for their own uncertainty rather than spreading the cost onto everyone else.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple has a 14 day policy for situations like this. Hurry up!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I bought my iPhone on January 19, the Saturday after Macworld. That is a little past the standard 14 day policy.

I went in to the Apple Store in KC where I bought it, explained that I had waited forever for the 16 gig and when it didn't happen at Macworld, I just bit the bullet and bought the 8 gig. (This was the truth BTW.)

With little fanfare, the manager simply let me upgrade with no restocking fee. Awesome! He took it out of the box since I still had mine, took the sim card out of my 8gig and gave it to me. The new 16 comes with a new sim card.

Now the activation was a little different. I tried using the new sim card when activating the iphone. I picked the option that said I am an existing ATT customer and that I am replacing a phone with the iphone. However, the sign up process wanted to charge me $20 per month for the iphone media bundle! I called ATT. They then had me try the old sim card in the phone and then try activation. Same thing. So they put me on hold and called Apple.

Apple told them to have me go through the process and see what showed up in my account. After completion, the $20 did not show up and my account was in tact just as before. No extension on the 2 year contract either.

Another interesting point. iTunes will tell you that another phone was activated on your computer. Do you want to start new or do you want to restore from previous iPhone backup? Do the restore. You will get most of your settings back.

I found that my voice mail password and my mail account passwords had to be retyped but that was no big deal.

Man. It is nice having more space. Bring on the 3rd party apps! I can't wait for the end of the month.

BTW. What can I do with the new sim card?