Controlling ipod touch in pocket??

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Now that the ipod touch FINALLY came out with a 32 gig version, I plan to buy one. Been looking forward to for awhile now.

However, I have some questions. I understand that the touch doesn't have a volume scroll wheel or the ability to change songs via a scroll wheel. I am used to doing these functions with my older scroll wheel ipod while it is in my pocket. I can just scroll, pause, advance, raise or lower the volume thru my pant fabric.

But the ipod touch doesn't have such an ability. Is there some accessory like an external remote that attaches to the headphones so that you can adjust these functions more easily without having to take the touch out of your pocket?

Thanks. :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    I agree, it would be nice to have a quicker way to control audio playback on the Touch. I've been caught many times unable to quickly pause audio playback on my Touch. It is much nicer, and quicker, on my Nano using the scroll wheel.

The problem is unlike video where the screen stays active throughout playback, during audio playback the Touch's screen goes dark and then locks. To pause playback you have to 1) press the button, screen wakes up; 2) slide the slider across the screen to unlock the Touch; 3) tap the screen to bring up the playback controls (sometimes I need to do several taps); and finally 4) press the pause control. It is much quicker on the iPod where you only have to 1) press the pause control.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'd love to see the radio remote available on the Touch. That would address this problem, and provide radio if you want it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    That'd be cool if Apple built software that would create a "virtual" click wheel on the ipod touch screen!

Then you could scroll thru songs, pause, play, rewind, forward etc in your pocket like you do now.

Just a thought. :-)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I agree, it would be nice to have a quicker way to control audio playback on the Touch. I've been caught many times unable to quickly pause audio playback on my Touch. It is much nicer, and quicker, on my Nano using the scroll wheel.

The problem is unlike video where the screen stays active throughout playback, during audio playback the Touch's screen goes dark and then locks. To pause playback you have to 1) press the button, screen wakes up; 2) slide the slider across the screen to unlock the Touch; 3) tap the screen to bring up the playback controls (sometimes I need to do several taps); and finally 4) press the pause control. It is much quicker on the iPod where you only have to 1) press the pause control.

There is a much simpler way. Double click the "Home" button. The screen wakes up with audio controls ready to use. Still cannot use them without actually looking at the screen which is something I also miss about the clickwheel, but the advantages of the Touch interface far outweigh the disadvantages.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thank you McCartman. I didn't know about this.