Apple TV 2?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So, I was thinking on how to improve the AppleTV, and besides the semi-obvious, like adding Blueray Drive, I came up with some concepts of my own.

1. Front Row needs added support for browsing the internet. Implementing a version of Safari would be nice.

2. Games! AppleTV can become a major casual gaming platform! New games and even classics like Tetris, Mario, Sonic licensed from publishers available via iTunes. It would be great to have this game library on iTunes because it would also make these games available for iPhone & iPod Touch, establishing those as a force in mobile game big enough to compete with Gameboy or the DS/PSP. Imagine buying a game on iTunes and being able to play it on AppleTV, and transferring it to your iPhone or iPod Touch!

3. Old Apple Remote needs to go bye-bye. Replace it with a new, more advance remote. Hear me out on this one! Now, imagine AppleTV being controlled by what is essentially a thinner iPod Touch minus the memory. Wouldn't it be cool to swipe your finger through icons on the remote that correspond with whats on screen? How about playing a song and seeing the info displayed on the remote? The Multi-touch interface can also be tied into Safari on AppleTV. How do you ask? Well, by incorporating the MT Keyboard on this new advanced Apple Remote, one could sit on their couch and type whatever they need. This can include browsing, searching, sending emails, whatever... also, you can "spotlight" you media library.

The whole Advanced AppleTV Remote can be taken a step further by adding an app to iPhones and iPod Touches that would allow those devices to behave essentially like an Advanced Apple Remote and use it to control Front Row. All 3 devices will, essentially, be a different version of the same thing.

The Remote may also be tied into the casual gaming part of AppleTV, by acting as a configurable input gaming pad. If apple really wanted to, they could add vibrations feedback and connectivity for 4-8 Remotes/iPod Touches/iPhones and have a unique gaming experience for anyone with an AppleTV 2, an iPod Touch, or an iPhone!

What do you guys think? Especially about the Advanced Remote? Would it change the livingroom or at least make AppleTV a "wow" gadget for the living room?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    1. I don't think browsing the internet is a good idea, maybe some widgets like the one from the patents today.

2. I agree games should be added.

3. They could improve the remote a bit, they should also use the ipod touch and iphone as remotes.

- Also they should add the ability to watch live programming and the ability to watch these programs.

- Ability to stream content from the web to watch on your tv and connectivity with iphone and touch. Also ability to stream from time capsule.

- Remote Disc feature so you can play dvd's, blu ray from computer onto your tv.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    1. Widgets

2. Games

3. iPhone, iPod touch act as remotes

4. Support for an MLB.TV Premium subscription
  • Reply 3 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    First there's the actual box itself:
    • Apple TV Widgets (weather, stocks, clocks, calendar etc.)

• NEWS RSS Feeds (configure from computer & sync or add on device itself)

• Web browsing? Heck no!

• DVD slot-load drive (FOR ALL OUR EXISTING DVD COLLECTIONS)

• More Storage (you can never have enough)

• Ability to play 1080p (just in case)

And then there's the iTunes complementary service:
    • iTunes TV Subscription Service

• Live news and sports bonus package (for additional fee)

• Ability to finally dumb your cable box

This would give the average consumer everything they need from one little box.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    MS Media Center is leader and will stay that way!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [QUOTE=Ireland;1212179]First there's the actual box itself:

• Web browsing? Heck no!

UP2U - Magazine and eBook Online Borrowe Website,FHM,Penthouse,PCmagazine,Vogue,Men health:

http://www.up2u.in/
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [QUOTE=ywg921;1212199]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

First there's the actual box itself:

• Web browsing? Heck no!

UP2U - Magazine and eBook Online Borrowe Website,FHM,Penthouse,PCmagazine,Vogue,Men health:

http://www.up2u.in/

yeah, a subscription service would be nice. One where you can pick and choose your favorite channels and/or shows, and order subscription packages as well as stuff like HBO, MLB, NFL, etc... I like the idea for streaming free local channels and free news!

It would be a total cable killer. TV on demand, wherever you want it. On your AppleTv in the livingroom, on your PC or Mac at work, in your pocket on your iPod.

I guess widgets would be nice, but has anyone ever browsed the internet from a Wii? Its kind of fun! But widgets could replace the need for internet browsing if done right with mail apps and the like.

I love my remote idea though, especially for text input or any other input needed. You can even edit and arange a "home screen" (a la iphone/ipod touch) with icons for all your favorite shows and/or channels!

I'm pretty confident we will see these things eventually.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I actually disconnected my DirecTV service a few days ago. I have been watching less and less TV, and I could no longer justify paying $70 per month to watch a handful of HD channels. I can stream all of my favorite TV shows online for FREE.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'd like to see a real focus on upscaling technology. The AppleTV must have greater horsepower than most upscaling DVD players, and with it running OS X, there's a real opportunity to do some nice things. Maybe it would need a special graphics card, but they could do it. And with ultra-shitty-looking youtube videos and many crappy vido podcasts, not to mention much of Apple's own content (with the exception of the new rentals) being sub-DVD quality, it could really use the help.

[oh, and this is in the wrong forum]
  • Reply 9 of 11
    wrong forum? I'm pretty sure I started the discussion talking about a future version of AppleTV 2... And I don't consider the soft update (take 2) as much of an upgrade. 'm talking about the next product cycle, a future product. :0)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

wrong forum? I'm pretty sure I started the discussion talking about a future version of AppleTV 2... And I don't consider the soft update (take 2) as much of an upgrade. 'm talking about the next product cycle, a future product. :0)

yep, wrong forum. Not a big deal.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

yep, wrong forum. Not a big deal.

lol, sorry... then what exactly is the "future hardware forum" for? I'm kinda confused, sticky doesn't say much...

I thought it was the right place because it was about a future version of AppleTV