Starbucks and free ATT wireless

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Will Starbucks offer of free wireless to ATT subscribers include people who own iPhones?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I have not heard of this rumor, is there any data to back this thought up?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

Will Starbucks offer of free wireless to ATT subscribers include people who own iPhones?

If Starbucks offers free Wi-Fi to AT&T subscribers while at their store, then it should work with those that have the iPhone. Those that have the iPhone in the United States are AT&T subscribers by default. Sammick, are you referring to the "iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store" recently released between Apple and Starbucks?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kephisto View Post

If Starbucks offers free Wi-Fi to AT&T subscribers while at their store, then it should work with those that have the iPhone. Those that have the iPhone in the United States are AT&T subscribers by default. Sammick, are you referring to the "iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store" recently released between Apple and Starbucks?

No this is something new--a free service for ATT wireless customers--starting in the Spring--I just read it in Mac Roumers
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

I have not heard of this rumor, is there any data to back this thought up?

Press release from Starbucks

Press release from AT&T
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Thanks for the update, sammrick. Likewise for providing the links, JupiterOne.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    NY Times Article

Well, as someone who lives in a city rife with starbucks this great. I would however prefer to have access to the 10,000 other sites accross the country, I feel like every airport I transit has AT&T providing wireless.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post

NY Times Article

Well, as someone who lives in a city rife with starbucks this great. I would however prefer to have access to the 10,000 other sites accross the country, I feel like every airport I transit has AT&T providing wireless.

Ditto. Btw, mowenbrown, thanks for linking the New York Times article.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    So? All I need is a Starbucks card and I get a coupla free hours of WiFi a day for my notebook and iPhone? Or did I read it all wrong?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

So? All I need is a Starbucks card and I get a coupla free hours of WiFi a day for my notebook and iPhone? Or did I read it all wrong?

From the PI article (bold is mine, for emphasis):

Quote:

Starbucks said it will give customers that use its Starbucks purchase card two hours of free wireless access per day. After that, it will cost $3.99 for a two-hour session. Monthly memberships will cost $19.99 and include access to any of AT&T's 70,000 hot spots worldwide.

The way I read that, you'll have to make a purchase on a registered Sbucks gift/debit card that day before you'll get credited for the two free hours. That's not all that different from how they implemented the iTunes Plus Two gift cards last fall (register each card to get a code redeemable for two iTunes downloads). That way they'll be able to automatically validate an AT&T Wifi account back to a purchase that day without bothering the barista.