Apple issues 2008-001 security fix, Leopard graphics update, WebObjects

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple's 2008-001 security fix for Mac OS X Leopard and Tiger tackles several networking issues, particularly malicious web addresses in Safari and Mail. Also, a WebObjects update has been released to patch several outstanding bugs for systems using Leopard.

Security Update 2008-001

Apple on Monday evening introduced its first security patch of the year. Security Update 2008-001 is available in PowerPC (16.7MB) and Universal (28.8MB) versions.

Most of the fixes apply to Mac OS X Leopard and Leopard server, Apple says. Among these, a fix for the operating system's Foundation level prevents a malicious web URL from either crashing the program or allowing arbitrary code. Other Leopard-specific fixes include preventing Parental Controls from disclosing information when unblocking websites, Launch Services, NFS client and server vulnerabilities, and X11 issues with Font Server as well as being unable to change security preferences.

Multiple fixes also apply to either both Leopard and Tiger or to Tiger exclusively. Both versions of Mac OS X are affected by issues with Samba networking and Terminal; In Tiger, Apple has closed exploits possible through Directory Services, malicious URLs in Mail, and Open Directory.

Apple notes that not all users will be presented with the fix: Mac OS X 10.5.2 includes the update for most Leopard configurations.

WebObjects Update 5.4.1 for Mac OS X 10.5

Additionally, Apple's WebObjects Update 5.4.1 (153MB) is aimed at Leopard and patches several bugs for issues such as database compatibility, deployment tools, and web service serialization.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    All works fine!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Be nice if we could have some updated graphics drivers for Boot Camp - or am I missing something?
  • Reply 3 of 8

I installed 10.5.2 on a G4 Powerbook that did real well with 10.5.1 but no longer boots with 10.5.2... just sits there on the initial gray apple screen.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Am I missing something? I didn't see the security update, only he 10.5.2 and then the graphics update.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmbientMatrix View Post

I installed 10.5.2 on a G4 Powerbook that did real well with 10.5.1 but no longer boots with 10.5.2... just sits there on the initial gray apple screen.

Your default boot device might be incorrect, this has happened to me in the past. Try holding down the Option key just after you power up, this should give you a list of bootable drives.

Good luck!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Am I missing something? I didn't see the security update, only he 10.5.2 and then the graphics update.

From the article...

"Apple notes that not all users will be presented with the fix: Mac OS X 10.5.2 includes the update for most Leopard configurations."
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Apparently a MacBook Pro doesn't have security problems, w00.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I'm experiencing all kinds of problems with Mail in this release. It crashes, my IMAP folder hierarchy disappears, and I get new warnings about security certificates every time the program connects to the mail server. A painful step backward.