Itunes sharing through a wireless access point does not work

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've got a D-link router connected to my WAN which give out internal ip-adresses 192.168.1.x . Connected to the D-Link router I have wireless NETGEAR router which is set up as a access point. I've opened up the ports (3689tcp) (5353udp) in all firewalls I can find. I can share files between my computer 192.168.1.5 and my laptop 192.168.1.7 but Itunes sharing won't work. I've got my computer set up to accept all connections from my laptop 192.168.1.7, the router 192.168.1.1 and the wireless access point 192.168.1.99.

Itunes sharing with my brothers computer 192.168.1.6 connected to the D-link router works as a charm.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    you both have to be the same subnet ie: on the SAME router at the SAME time. There are some hacks to open this up more, checkout lifehacker.com for a good list there of itunes hacks & extras.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    The newest versions of NetGear routers such as the DraftN wireless can Not be used as an access point, i.e. the firewall can not be turned off in the same way as the Airport Extreme can be set to Bridging mode. We tried using the NetGear routers as access points at work and could not access our Novell network because they won't pass IPX either no matter what ports are opened up on it. You might have to go with something that is called an "access point" rather than a "router" (mostly found as wireless Gs), or if you want wireless draft N, Apple's APE has an option for "Bridging" mode.