Desired Features for MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'll be ordering the next update of the 17" MacBook Pro, and I am interested in knowing what all the people waiting to purchase are hoping for in desired features. I'm a professional video editor and will be using this system with Final Cut Studio editing HD video. Here is what I would like:

2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB RAM (probably installed cheaper by a third party)

250GB Serial ATA @ 7200rpm

17-inch High-resolution Widescreen Display (1920x1080) Matte

HDMI output for monitoring video/audio on external LCD broadcast monitor

eSATA port for connecting external hard drive for media capture & storage

FireWire 400 port for capturing video from cameras

FireWire 800 port for possible use with AJA IO HD

Ethernet port

2 x USB 2 ports for peripheral devices

Blu-Ray SuperDrive (for future use with DVD Studio Pro 5)

multi-touch trackpad (for use in Final Cut Studio to scale & rotate images)

Black/backlight keyboard

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Ugh, another MacBook Pro thread! But since you started it and it's up my alley, I'll respond...

2.6Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 45nm process (Penryn)

4GB RAM — Apple charges too much for its memory

250GB Serial ATA @ 7200rpm

17-inch High-resolution Widescreen Display (1920x1080) Matte — should be standard

HDMI output for monitoring video/audio on external LCD broadcast monitor (probably not)

eSATA port for connecting external hard drive for media capture & storage (nope, not going to happen)

Standard USB, Firewire, and networking ports

Blu-Ray SuperDrive (for future use with DVD Studio Pro 5) — would be nice

multi-touch trackpad (for use in Final Cut Studio to scale & rotate images) — most likely going to come over from the MBA

Black/backlight keyboard — that definitely needs to come from MBA

Plus:

User removeable hard drive

Magnetic latch

LED In 17-inch MBP
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Ya, I was hesitant to initiate another MBP thread, but most recent ones are about the release date. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I dont think there is anything wrong with starting a new thread on a talked about subject as long as it is takes a different angle!

My Desires:

Bumped Specs

MBA style key board

New Trackpad

Magnetic latch

Maybe lighter/thinner with a bit of redesign - but I think this is a bit of a far out hope if the update is to surface this month or next

The current spec is pretty much what I need but I am never one to miss out on a handy update!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    It's 1920x1200, not 1080.

A bump to the 128MB Vram.

A bump to the smallish 120G HD.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Form factor update... it's time

I'm guessing that we'll probably see a lot of influence from the Air. There may also be a firewire update, providing FW3200. In that case, there's not as much of a reason for eSata, and it doesn't require additional real estate on the side of the chassis.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Do you think there will be LED back light in the 15" model?

Blu-Ray will be BTO option.

User removeable HDD.. do you think Apple is going that way?

im to be honest, a little scared at what apple might do because of the MBA's enclosed battery.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I think Splinemodel is right about the FW3200. The standard was announced this past December, and is scheduled to be adopted this month. It would probably be the best option on a MBP to retain compatibility with FW800 devices, and have comparable speeds to eSATA.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    12" screen. Revive the 12" Powerbook with optical drive as an alternative to the MacBook Air.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Apple wouldn't enclose the battery on a pro, they won't release another 12" unless they add a little brother to the air.. in which case, they probably go 10 or 11" and I there there already is LED backlighting in the 15", am I wrong?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    shawnathan is right, as far as i know the 15" comes with LED backlightening as standard!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Name101 View Post

Do you think there will be LED back light in the 15" model?

The current 15" MBP has LED backlighting.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Update the grfx card... my Asus laptop (now over 12months old) has better graphics power than the current MBP unless you go for the 256mb VRAM option in which case its the same...
  • Reply 13 of 23
    LED backlighting should be carried over from current generation. What I wish for the display upgrade is a IPS panel, instead of the same 6 bit TN panel in the current generation. But i think i will be wishing for a long time.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Not to get electric shocked /tingled any more.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    1. No scorch marks surrounding the keyboard.

2. No need to replace the battery because the computer cooked the first one to death.

3. Wi-Fi reception that isn't 1/2 that of a regular MacBook.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    54mm expresscard slot instead of the smaller 34mm.

Radeon Mobility 3600 or Geforce 9500M

Apple not cut the graphics memory in half for a change

HDMI replaces DVI (adaptors included)

160 and 250GB hard drives standard.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

3. Wi-Fi reception that isn't 1/2 that of a regular MacBook.

That's what you get for encasing it in aluminum. There was talk in the past about usage of zirconia as an enclosure material, but it has yet to be seen or heard of.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonglaji View Post

LED backlighting should be carried over from current generation. What I wish for the display upgrade is a IPS panel, instead of the same 6 bit TN panel in the current generation. But i think i will be wishing for a long time.

I can honestly say that if they carry over the same display to the next gen MBP, I will simply not buy it. I got to see the MBA and MBP side-by-side today. The difference is huge. Too bad that I am looking for a desktop replacement, or else would've gotten the MBA today.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonglaji View Post

I don't think that anyone makes laptop IPS panels.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    I'm not waiting for it at all what a twist... I want new displays instead and a 3G iphone, though I heard a rumor from 100% accurate source that apple has hardware problems with 3G model so no luck here till the end of the year.

Mac Book Pro... hm... I actually don't understand why every one is so exited about it, probably will get one for my girlfriend, she needs a laptop and does illustrator / painter stuff . Don't have anything in my wish list, may be a good manufacture quality. Like i don't want it to explode