Magazine debunks Apple game handheld, hints iPhone games

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Claims that Apple is developing a gaming system of its own are false, according to a games development magazine, but the electronics firm is also reportedly willing to bring games to the iPhone and iPod touch.

Despite speculation in recent days that Apple might develop a gaming handheld based on a company trademark obtained for dedicated gaming systems, the Cupertino, Calif.-based firm has no plans in the near future to produce a gaming console of its own, says an alleged source speaking to European game industry magazine Develop.

Instead, the iPod remains the "gateway" for all of Apple's gaming efforts, the contact says. Marketing is said to be one of the primary motivations, as discussions between the company and third-party software teams reveals that the device maker wants to avoid diluting its brand with risky new products.

"Apple is very protective of the reputation it has built in the electronics market," the reported insider says.

From a technical standpoint, the company also purportedly sees the iPod as "powerful enough" for games. The OpenGL ES (Embedded Systems) software library at the heart of modern click wheel iPods is efficient enough for Apple's aims that it doesn't need a faster device, according to the tip.

Apple is under little pressure to change its existing business model for games, which revolves around granting a handful of top-tier game producers such as EA and PopCap enough access to develop games sold through iTunes. Feedback from these partners is said to be very positive, with Sega having praised the content delivery system in a recent issue of MCV magazine.

The source suggests that Apple would rather expand its existing game library for iPods -- and add games to the iPhone and iPod touch. The tipster does not directly confirm development of games for the two touchscreen devices, however. To date, both premium handhelds have largely been excluded from Apple's fledgeling gaming efforts due to their incompatibility with older iPods' operating systems and their radically different control schemes.

Whether Apple will officially expand its game development and include native games for the iPhone is unknown, though more light is likely to be shed on the possibilities when Apple unveils details of its iPhone Software Development Kit later this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Marketing is said to be one of the primary motivations, as discussions between the company and third-party software teams reveals that the device maker wants to avoid diluting its brand with risky new products.

That isn't true at all- look at Apple TV and the MBA, both very risky sort of "lets take a chance" type products. Apple is a cutting edge type company of course they make risky moves on new and not yet established technology.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't think Apple needs to make a game system as such anyway. I think the current touch screen devices have plenty of potential for simple & interesting games.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Magazine debunks Apple game handheld, hints iPhone games

So they copied what I said basically.

Those of you with Jailbroken iPhones; iPhysics & Pool, get them on installer.app
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So they copied what I said basically.

Those of you with Jailbroken iPhones; iPhysics & Pool, get them on installer.app

So not only do you contribute zip to the discussion (other than a bit of childish bragging), you post an advertisement for some games as well?

Brilliant.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    I don't think this is a shocking surprise.

those of us who remember the cancelled pippin project back in the dark ages never took this rumour seriously. i think the last time apple seriously mentioned games was some macworld announcement for connectix' game station, which subsequently got killed by sony, if i remember correctly... since the beginning of the macintosh steve has opposed games on the mac, fearing the business world would frown upon it, and left it to others to discover that games sell computers.

it makes no sense for apple to enter an already crowded market, unless they could radically improve gaming experience. it is not in apple's interest to get into the cut-throat market that is gaming consoles. just ask microsoft how that is draining their resources. i for one am glad apple is not giving in to distractions like they did during the sculley/amelio/spindler era.

the only thing i miss from those days are the laserwriters and of course the newton. luckly i don't need a printer any more, thanks to pdfs and the iphone is looking to be a worthy replacement for the latter.

games for the iphone make much more sense than pouring enormous amounts of money into developing yet another gaming machine.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

So not only do you contribute zip to the discussion (other than a bit of childish bragging), you post an advertisement for some games as well?

Brilliant.

What kind of a fool are you? Advertisement for a game? What TF. This magazine said what I said when this patent appeared on the scene first. And I was telling people about those games because they are good, and because they also would affirm my views on that matter. The iPhone and iPod touch are "brilliant" handheld-gaming platforms, those games prove that.

4 posts and you're telling people what to say already, **** you.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Brilliant.

uh, welcome to AI?

edit -- Ireland:
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What kind of a fool are you? Advertisement for a game? What TF. This magazine said what I said when this patent appeared on the scene first. And I was telling people about those games because they are good, and because they also would affirm my views on that matter. The iPhone and iPod touch are "brilliant" handheld-gaming platforms, those games prove that.

4 posts and you're telling people what to say already, **** you.

So the touch is definitely game worthy, then? Now that it's 32GB it looks all the more tempting, especially if the touch screen is conducive to gaming. BTW, it's hard to figure out what you were saying there at the end, what with all those asterisks and all.

Maybe an iPod touch and a new MBP (hopefully with a chipset update) for my birthday (3/7)? Got my fingers crossed...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

uh, welcome to AI?

edit -- Ireland:

At least some of us have a sense of humor Virgil
  • Reply 10 of 11
    if apple does get into gaming or some kind of game system, i think apple would be more interested in casual gaming, so a dedicated expensive system makes less sense than just using the iphone/ipod touch (which has a pretty cool input device anyway, especially with the accelerometer).

super monkey ball anyone?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I think it would be awfully tough to compete with Nintendo and Sony with a new device, no matter how cool it is. Microsoft had to spend billions just to get to even footing with Sony and after years of losing money, didn't see their first profit until last year.

Apple and games.... they don't mix. Stick to letting third party guys create games for the iPod.